Bait alternatives for trout?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
TroutStlkr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Bait alternatives for trout?

Post by TroutStlkr » Thu May 12, 2011 3:37 pm

I love small stream trout fishing with ultra-light tackle. My bread and butter over the years has been a half crawler drifted near the bottom. I've also had luck on spawn and occasionally with spinners. I'm trying to get away from having to use bait and focus more on gear such as spinners, spoons and plugs, along with other artificials but I'm not yet having the success that I used to have with the old go-to. I picked up Jim Bedford's Spinner Magic and think I can apply some things to improve my success with spinners. However, so far this early trout season for the most part, the trout have turned their noses at my hardware offerings. I've gone to some scented soft plastics and fished them just as a would have crawlers, but I've never found anything that really works. I was wondering outside of hardware if there are any other artifical anybody hear really swears by for small stream trout fishing whether they be jigs, soft plastics, dough baits or even scents that have worked well. I'm just trying to diversify my offerings and make sure I have something to go to when the spinners aren't working. Again, I know I could go to live bait, but in recent years, the idea of fooling trout with something artifical has really grown on me. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Alpine Angler
Angler
Angler

Re: Bait alternatives for trout?

Post by Alpine Angler » Thu May 12, 2011 5:00 pm

Pautzke Egg red, orange or yellow, single drifted with one split shot and 2lb line. Let it tumble on the bottom in short runs. If you lose it no big deal, just some split shot and a hook. You can drift float it steelhead style too if conditions permit.

Nothing catches trout like salmon eggs. Think about it, stream borne trout and char are genetically programmed to be egg pigs. When's the last time you saw a nightcrawler in a creek?

...and drop everything to switch to maxima UG 2lb line. Don't even bother with Berkely, it just blows up. The most line shy trout will start to bite your hardware if you run 2lb UG in my experience. I have had brand new berkely xl 4lb mono blow up time and again while 2lb UG casts 35% further and lasts much longer. If the water's real rough and snaggy, go up to 4lb. I run 2lb mostly but sometimes toss 4 if the river or creek is boiling.

2lb UG, the trout never see it coming...

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Fri May 13, 2011 1:39 am

Learn how to fly fish and tie flies. I swear you'll never go back to spinning gear for trout. [-o<
Rods & Reels Excite me!

Alpine Angler
Angler
Angler

Post by Alpine Angler » Fri May 13, 2011 6:42 am

lpquick wrote:Learn how to fly fish and tie flies. I swear you'll never go back to spinning gear for trout. [-o<

I hear this a lot and for the most part it is true. My experience with fly fishing is limited, but I have fished alongside fly guys all over the world, from small streams to saltwater Coho salmon and even several "attempts" at saltwater Marlin (or anything else) fishing off the coast of Mexico. My observations:

Fly rods, and the whole culture that surround them are one of endless speculation, science, educated guessing, and trying one thing after another until something finally sticks. Aside from the reels, the technical and mechanical process of fly fishing is much more complex and requires infinite patience. In the first few years you can expect more time figuring out how to do the basics well than you will be catching fish.

Some claim to like the fight it is amazing for sure, but can be very brief. Fly fishing tolerates no mistakes at any level. Where I fish it is just simply easier to catch more fish with light hardware on a 2lb line. No need for stripping, leaders, backing, etc. It is my opinion that the UL spinning process is simpler and more direct.

Water coverage: You can simply cover more water, under more conditions, with UL spinning gear quicker and faster with a generally higher probability of success than with fly gear. This also happens at a price point typically about 1/3 to 1/4 of a comparably quality fly set up. You can run anywhere—topwater, midwater, deep—all strike zones are open to you with minimal fiddling. Just let your lure count down. And yes, I even toss flies with a bit of split shot or just short cast sinkers. That quick flexibility is just not open to the fly angler.

Have you ever wondered why so many fly anglers are retired? Two reasons: They typically have enough time in the game to look to elevate their game to "the next level" and also have the current time to practice this mystical art. I don't know about you, but I have a job and a wife and two kids. In the few hours a week I get out there, or few days a year I get let off the leash, the last thing I need is something that requires endless time at a fly bench or screwing around with equipment and basic casts with the faint hope of catching a fish. Of course the fly game can be elevated to a highly effective, almost sublime level. But time is a non-renewable resource, and it is common to simply outfish many fly guys I have been out with most times. I cannot tell you how much time they spend on fiddling with equipment and do dads.

Lastly—the wilderness experience. There’s a real Zen quality to standing in some softly bubbling trout stream and finally nailing a half pounder on a fly. But that ain’t where I fish. I live on the west coast and many of the streams and small rivers are rugged and require much hiking as well as significant temperate rainforest coverage. I can simply zip along a trail with a short rod and a favorite spinner and blast underhand, sidearm and “wrister” casts into the water as I walk. I can shoot further and more accurately than just about anyone I have seen with a fly, and certainly under those conditions. If you’re dealing with a lot of brush or rainforest like conditions, you won’t see many fly guys unless it opens up or they are standing in the water.

I expect that there’s a number of conditions where the right fly set up, in the hands of the right angler, at the right time will simply produce mind-bendingly awesome results. It’s just that I haven’t seen it. I keep hearing about it, but I haven’t seen it. Often the lodge stories come down to a few bites and good runs and ones that “get away” and 1-2 quality catches a day.

There are those who relish the pure fly experience, the attention to detail, the perfection of the moment, the perfect fight, etc. and I suspect when I am 65+ I might join them, but I am much more likely to get into Tenkara than fly. It is more suitable to my conditions.

Perhaps it is just me, but I don’t believe that becoming a good fly angler is the holy grail of this sport. For me it is just one more style or technique in a complete angler’s arsenal.

Tomhdez
Angler
Angler

Post by Tomhdez » Fri May 13, 2011 8:01 am

For Artificial baits have you tried Trout Magnet? those work well and can be fished much like a nightcrawler. As for "baits i swear by" Berkley makes jars of earthworms i LOVE those in pink. You can also trya 3" Floating Trout Worm (powerbait?) in bubbegum. They are awesome when wacky rigged on an egg hook and twiched. As for Hardbaits I like Pond Minnows and Snap Beans.

TroutStlkr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TroutStlkr » Fri May 13, 2011 3:15 pm

The single eggs wouldn't really qualify as artificial, but that has been something I've been meaning to try. Salmon, Trout and Steelheader has been plugging Pautzke eggs and cures quite a bit lately (almost enough to make them seem like sellouts). I've had some success with loose eggs tied in smaller bags for trout in the spring time when steelhead have been spawning or just after, but have never tried single eggs. BTW, I have never seen a crawler floating down a stream, but I don't think that matters. Half crawlers dead drifted are deadly. Like I saidn, I'm not really looking for alternatives because the old bread and butter didn't work, just looking to diversify my tactics and I really like not to have to mess with live bait.

I've seen the trout magnets on their website but was skeptical as to whether or not they'd work on wild discriminating trout. But maybe based on Tomdez's testimony, I'll give 'em a shot. I do have a bag of the floating trout worms in my waist pack, but I haven't tested them out yet. I did try some nitro trout worms in a more natural color but with no success.

As for fly fishing, I've dabbled with it and I have to say that I agree with much of what Alpine Angler had to say reguarding that. My preference remains for the shorter ultra-light spinning rod. I do see where there are some niches where the fly rod can be an advantage and more fun, and I see the appeal of watching trout hit a lure on the surface, there is something about using your sense of feel with spinning tackle that appeals to me. I also fish a lot of smaller water, some of which can be roll casted effectively, but overall spinning tackle is more practical and fun in my opinion. I do carry a box of eggs flies, small streamers and nymphs with me, but those are presented just fine on spinning gear. To each his own I guess. I'm glad lpquick enjoys the flyrod. I just prefer spin tackle. Also, and I understand all fly fishermen are not this way, but there are many that have done a great job in recent of just really turning me off to ever wanting to join that crowd. In addition, in my state, just this past year, many more miles of great public trout water has just been turned over exclusively to fly rodders, but those are rants for another day and another forum.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. This kind of goes along with the thread on magazine subscriptions. There really is a void in terms of good articles and reviews on gear and lures specifically for small stream trout fishing. It's not too tough to fing info on new presentations and lures for warm water species or the anadromous salmonids, but it's like if you want to read up on the latest and greatest in the world or trout fishing, you have to pick up a fly fishing magazine. So, I thought I'd appeal to the ultra-light enthusiasts on this forum. Keep the suggestions coming if anybody has tried any soft plastic scented baits or other artificials that have proven effective with trout.

adyy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adyy » Fri May 13, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi,

The way the AlpineAngler explained flyfishing it's a bit exagerated I'd say.

I can say that now I have 30 and I've started flyfishing and flytying at 15-16. It is indeed a more exact style of fishing, but you can still catch some fish even if you are a beginer. The most problematic part in flyfishing is that you cast at much smaller distances and you can scare the fish much more easily. You have to learn how to make at less noise as possible and be stealthy, but this thing can be learned from a guide or some other fisherman that are willing to share info's. Anyway, once you will learn this it will be usefull in any kind of fishing.

Now regarding the original question raised by TroutStlkr.
Last year I've started to make mini crancks. After testing of diverse designs I've come up with a model that catched some fish this year. I don't swear by the design, but there are some results. and the design refinement will continue.

During the time I was flyfishing, I've made small nimphs on jig hooks that were similar to the jigs I see are used for trout fishing. I've used them fishing in czeck nymphing style and they were (very) effective. On a spin rod I've never tested/used that, but since you write about that, I will tie a few and will test.
http://ultralightworks.weebly.com/

TroutStlkr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TroutStlkr » Sat May 14, 2011 1:15 pm

adyy, I just checked out your blog. Those are some really impressive handmade cranks. I'm sure it's satisfying to design and tune your own lure that fool trout.

adyy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adyy » Sun May 15, 2011 1:33 am

it's satisfying when you catch something.
when I'm prototyping them in my bathtub, it's not so cool. often some prototypes do not have any kind of action at low retrieve speeds.

Alpine Angler
Angler
Angler

Post by Alpine Angler » Sun May 15, 2011 4:46 am

adyy wrote:it's satisfying when you catch something.
when I'm prototyping them in my bathtub, it's not so cool. often some prototypes do not have any kind of action at low retrieve speeds.
Those my friend are awesome. But I can see why you're into the fly game too, for those who have the time it is very rewarding.

I had never thought about it, but your blog has given me the thought that UL spinfishing could be taken to the same level of obsession and enthusiasm.

For me it has always been about how to nail as many small fish as I can under challeging circumstances, so I favor store bought, simplicity and speed. However, I am starting to get the point that when I retire I should look at changing my game.

I should stop looking at this stuff or I run the risk of renoucing my career to become a trout bum.

adyy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adyy » Sun May 15, 2011 7:35 am

@TroutStlkr and @AlpineAngler - thanks for reading the blog.

@AlpineAngler - do not renounce to career. Doesn't worth it. For me the flyfishing time was during highschool and university. Then it was more freetime than now, when I'm employed. Now I have time for building cranks because I do not have a wife and kids. When their time will come, I will rely on the cranks made before marriage. :D

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Mon May 16, 2011 12:06 pm

Just out of boredom I gave these a try last year. Size 40 for smaller trout size 50 for larger ones. I could not believe how well they worked for me. They aren't 1/16 or 1/32 ultra light lures but they feel great on my 5'8" UL TSR. I've cought anything from 8" brookies to 7lb rainbows on these.

http://www.river2seausa.com/t/standnyabbie.html

I'm also a huge fan of Yo-Zuri Snap Beans they're awesome for trout.
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na Fishing!
Fishing... Fishing!

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed May 18, 2011 5:42 am

I've had some success with various small Yozuri cranks: Pin's minnow, Snap Shads, Aile Goby, Bass Arms minnows and shads. Other lures to include Owner Mira Shads, Rebel tracdown minnows, Rapala coundown minnows and original floaters. Spoons like Kastmasters or Castchamps, Little Cleo's, Krocodiles, Mepps Syclops, Eppinger Daredelves. In a pinch, I've used cheese, corn, or marshmallows and sometimes that works too.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

TheGEEK
Angler
Angler

Post by TheGEEK » Wed May 18, 2011 7:43 am

Marabou jigs, hard to beat em.

fshrfwl
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fshrfwl » Wed May 18, 2011 1:04 pm