Aldebaran

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Aldebaran

Post by Thor » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:14 am

I had an opportunity to view a typical YouTube video of a gentleman casting with new "finesse" ball bearings. The point of the video was to show an improvement in performance.

Now that my laugh for the day is over, I thought it best to share my experiences with the Shimano Aldebaran. Mine has some upgrades and has been compared to a Pixy with like upgrades.

The Pixy continues to be a great ultralight reel, however, the Aldebaran is a much better tool for ultralight applications. The rod, line and caster's abilities are still factors that cannot be ignored but if a baitcaster needs to be in your arsenal, take a look at this one. With 4 pound test mono, the proper rod and 1/32 oz lures, it will change your perspective on using baitcasting reels. Why use baitcasting reels when spinning reels are so good today? Because I can and it is nice to do something different when in the middle of those 100+ fish days.

PancakeFace22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Aldebaran

Post by PancakeFace22 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:21 am

What upgrades have you done to your Aldebaran? And what rod are you using with it?

I have considered getting an Avail spool for my Core 50 to use it for things I typically use a ML spinning rod for, but ended up spooling it with 10lb. fluorocarbon, putting it on a 6'10" MH Cumulus, and using it for what I consider mid-sized plastics and jerkbaits. Depending on what upgrades are required, I may eventually get an Aldebaran and a matching light power rod for the really lightweight stuff since I prefer the feel of my Core 50 over the Pixy I had.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:53 am

The Avail spool, mag control and bearings are the significant changes. The rod is a custom, 6.5 feet in length.

My only warning is that this combination is probably not for those who need DC systems to use baitcasting equipment. There is little start up inertia, that plus the light line and rod, can make things challenging for those lacking in experience. I bring this up since I did have braid on this reel at one time and a friend wanted to try it for awhile. Needless to say, I had to cut the backlash out and re-spool later. A word to the wise.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Thor. 1/32 is pretty light for casting reels.

I use 2 lbs and 1/32 oz jigs as my primary go to lure. Casting distance is very important to me. I wonder how your reel compares with a high end spinning reel using 2lbs and 1/32 oz jigs. Any thoughts based on your experience? Not having line twist is a huge plus. Of course, the spinning reel allows quick spool changes which is a real plus as I run 2 lbs, 3 lbs, mono, fluoro and Nanofil on any one trip.

Thanks.

UL

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:23 am

Casting has some aspects that are important to me.

Distance is important and the proper spinning combination wins in this case. There are some who struggle with spinning gear due to line twist, loops, tip wrap and other issues. Plenty of solutions to all the above. Spinning reels are no longer the cheap, inferior and novice designed gear of the past.

Accuracy is also important and most like baitcasting equipment in these situations. No line twist but backlashes can ruin a day on the water. Might be tougher to find suitable reels and rods for ultralight work.

Variety is equally important to me. Some of this stems from personal preferences on what gear works with each bait best. For smallmouths and snook, Zara Spooks and other gurgling top water baits work better with baitcasting equipment.
Last edited by Thor on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanschalkwykstephen
Angler
Angler

Post by vanschalkwykstephen » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:25 am

PancakeFace22 wrote:What upgrades have you done to your Aldebaran? And what rod are you using with it?
I am very interested in UL bait-casting options. I have a preference for Shimano (just personal), and so I've been toying with the Conquest 50s. I must admit, I'm finding this UL thing really tricky ... its a bit hard to know what to put the cash down on :-k ](*,)

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:10 am

I wonder how it would compare to an SPR.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:22 pm

hv to say i always love daiwa but i just dont like their finesse bc reel, for most of them are freshwater only, and without clicker drag /cast control knob.

i go for abu with zpi finesse kit and conquest 51s

gpoler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gpoler » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:27 pm

Conquest 51 is a real good choice!.
but also need to be coupled to a real good UL rod, , the idealis 1/4 3/16 oz blank, not too stiff.
little and light guides .
so you can throw light tackle without effort .
in winter or cold days the monofilament will become rigid and twsts or birdnet are a for spinning gear.
CANNONDALE USER!!!!!!!!!!!

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:40 am

I have an Aldebaran 51 with Boca Orange bearings. It is the best little casting reel I've ever fished and that includes several Pixies and Curado 51's.......but I like the Curado also.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:57 am

Well, 3 years have past and it continues to be the best of the new breed of ultralight baitcasting reels. Only change since then is a new spool, a little lighter, different braking.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:42 am

sorry I dug way back for this thread but there isn't really much going on in this forum. I have one of the original Aldy's from when they were first introduced maybe 3 or 4yrs ago? I stole it on ebay for like 150.00 less than what they retail for because nobody knew what it was. I am huge into the JDM tackle scene. I knew exactly what it was. One of my fave's. Strangely, I've had the same issue with the two Pixies that I've owned. I would experience line breakage(braid) at the level wind guide as it the ceramic was cutting the line.