please help me find that perfect SUL rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
miracleJim
Angler
Angler

please help me find that perfect SUL rod

Post by miracleJim » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:19 pm

I'm in Canada, and I've been looking for that perfect UL rod. My ideal criteria is the following:

* $50-$150
* rated 1-4 lbs ideally (super ultra light)
* great for small jerkbaits and crankbaits (mod taper?)
* greater than 6'
* good build quality with no cheapo guides (SiC preferably but good luck with that)
* preferably a warranty

Here's my situation:

I've been searching for that perfect 6' or longer Super UL rods (one that handles #1-4 lines) with moderate action for crankbaits, and so far the only one I could find is the Fenwick elite tech river runner with mod-fast taper, but looking in the store, the craftsmanship is a so-so in my opinion. The other choices were St. Croix and G-loomis ones but those run an upwards of $200 which is definitely out of my budget for UL and they definitely look cheap for some reason... I think most of the cost go towards the fact that they are made in the USA.

Then, there's the really cheap UL rods, but the length of those rods do not exceed 5'6". Also, what's with the obsession of USDM UL rods with fast tips? I noticed that JDM has rods that fit my criteria, and they definitely have some bling on them even if they cost around $200, but I'm iffy about the warranty.

I think I'm about to give up... unless anyone can recommend a really good crankbait ultralight rod (preferably SUL) that won't break the bank that is sold in North America. I've been lusting over the Phenix Mirage but nobody ships them to Canada... and they're a bit expensive.

PLEASE HELP ME! Any good UL crankbait rods that won't break the bank? Much appreciated!!!

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: please help me find that perfect SUL rod

Post by tywithay » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:05 am

I've never used one of these, but I am getting close to just ordering one for myself. The 6' is on sale 50% off for 80ish USD bucks depending on the exchange rate day-to-day, not sure of Canadian. They have SiC guides as well which is a great deal for that price.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:18 pm

It appears that it's just not done at the length you need...they jump up to light in most cases. In those few cases that what is called an ultralight over 6' long isn't superlight, the line size bumping up to 2-6#...rather than staying at 1-4#. All the St Croix UL's go no lighter than 2-6#.

Your budget precludes having one made out of a fly blank.

Then again, there isn't an industry standard that can be adhered to, so each manufacturer has to be judged on how their stuff performs.

I just got a Daiwa Spinmatic Tuflite through bass Pro Shops, 6'6", though they also make a 7' model that Bass Pro Shops doesn't seem to carry....hardware is Fuji...cost was $44, IIRC.

It's rated 2-6#, but seems more limber than you would expect for that line rating.

Might be an option...if it doesn't work out, it didn't break the bank.

Here's the spec's:

http://www.daiwa.com/rod/detail.aspx?id=99

Now about the only moderate labeled UL I know off is a St C, 7' Avid 2pc, but that's outside your budget...and is rated 2-6#. Other's may have additional suggestions regarding makers I'm not familiar with.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/avid-series-spinning

Garfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Garfisher » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:00 pm

I will add that the St.Croix is pretty noodly for a fast action. I think you can pick one up at BPS in Vaughan for I think around $150 taxes included (this obviously depends on whether or not you can drive there)

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Im not sure how well these fit your criteria but i bought the 6'6 ultralight for stream trout and have handled 20 in browns with it. I dont do a lot of ul fishng but wanted a decent unique rod and am very pleased with it. My 6'6 is more med fast than fast and exceeds my expectations with spinners and rapalas new ultralight cranks.
http://www.norsemenoutdoors.com/shop/category/esp-rods

miracleJim
Angler
Angler

Post by miracleJim » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:21 pm

Smead wrote: Now about the only moderate labeled UL I know off is a St C, 7' Avid 2pc, but that's outside your budget...and is rated 2-6#. Other's may have additional suggestions regarding makers I'm not familiar with.

I was about to pull the trigger on that one, holding one at BPS... love the quality of the cork and very light. At almost $200, the biggest advantage I think would be the lifetime warranty and the fact that it's Made in the USA. Honestly I wish it had a little more "bling", I mean it's a $200 rod after all. The reason I would probably skip this is because St. Croix has a similar one in their Legend Elite lineup (same action, same length, same power) but it costs $300+, so at $200 I'm *still* not buying the best they have to offer. Sad but true :(

miracleJim
Angler
Angler

Post by miracleJim » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:26 pm

Garfisher wrote:I will add that the St.Croix is pretty noodly for a fast action. I think you can pick one up at BPS in Vaughan for I think around $150 taxes included (this obviously depends on whether or not you can drive there)
BPS inflates their prices and they won't price match the US price... that goes to rods, reels, and some tackle. I'd avoid them as much as possible.

I've been eyeing on the Canadian only Rapala F2 rods, I was wondering if anyone has experience with them... finding them is another story, maybe I could get one at SAIL.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:52 pm

miracleJim wrote:
Smead wrote: Now about the only moderate labeled UL I know off is a St C, 7' Avid 2pc, but that's outside your budget...and is rated 2-6#. Other's may have additional suggestions regarding makers I'm not familiar with.

I was about to pull the trigger on that one, holding one at BPS... love the quality of the cork and very light. At almost $200, the biggest advantage I think would be the lifetime warranty and the fact that it's Made in the USA. Honestly I wish it had a little more "bling", I mean it's a $200 rod after all. The reason I would probably skip this is because St. Croix has a similar one in their Legend Elite lineup (same action, same length, same power) but it costs $300+, so at $200 I'm *still* not buying the best they have to offer. Sad but true :(
I do think that you would like the Avid...their cost in that line is labor from it being made here in the USA,...does have alconite guides too. You're paying for the same labor with the LE''s except that they bump up a level in blank material quality...you get that Advanced Reinforcing Technology.

susQbassman
Angler
Angler

Post by susQbassman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:10 am

gloomis tsr 790s line 1-4lb lure weight 1/32-1/8 mod fast action 6'7" length.The price is a little more than what you want to spend but well worth it@ $230.00 this rod is very fun to fish with.

clipper1955
Angler
Angler

Post by clipper1955 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:11 am

You can build better UL rods than you can buy, and cheaper, too. I make mine from flyrod blanks as a rule...Just completed a 1# rig from a $18.00 e-bay 2wt. flyrod blank. Total cost was around $35.00.

Ace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ace » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:27 am

Check out the Majorcarft Nextino. They make SUL in 5'8, 6'0, 6'3, and 6'6 with a moderate taper for throwing hard baits. I have the 6 footer and it is a really nice rod, fuji K frame guides. Price should be competitive even with shipping. Ordered mine from troutshopjp and had it in less than a week.

TroutStlkr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TroutStlkr » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:16 pm

miracleJim wrote:I'm in Canada, and I've been looking for that perfect UL rod. My ideal criteria is the following:

* $50-$150
* rated 1-4 lbs ideally (super ultra light)
* great for small jerkbaits and crankbaits (mod taper?)
* greater than 6'
* good build quality with no cheapo guides (SiC preferably but good luck with that)
* preferably a warranty

Here's my situation:

I've been searching for that perfect 6' or longer Super UL rods (one that handles #1-4 lines) with moderate action for crankbaits, and so far the only one I could find is the Fenwick elite tech river runner with mod-fast taper, but looking in the store, the craftsmanship is a so-so in my opinion. The other choices were St. Croix and G-loomis ones but those run an upwards of $200 which is definitely out of my budget for UL and they definitely look cheap for some reason... I think most of the cost go towards the fact that they are made in the USA.
Just a couple of my thoughts based on my personal experience with a couple of the rod series mentioned above. I tend to agree with you on the craftsmanship of the Fenwicks. That said, they are imports. Fit and finish has suffered a bit ( It's still OK ), but the trade off is that you get a really well designed rod with high end components at a really good price. Really comfortable grip, great blank ( high end graphite, well designed tapers ) and titanium framed guides with high end ceramic inserts. I do wish the cork quality was a little better, but my personal opinion is that you can't beat that series for UL at the price point they are at. I'm also a big fan of the Loomis trout series. I guess I don't understand the "definitely look cheap" comment. In my opinion everything about them is quality ( though I'm not as impressed with the new GL2 TJR series ). I would agree that you pay a bit of a premium for the labor, but can't complain at all in terms of quality. The Fenwicks may be the best value, but I believe the TSRs represent the best in UL available. That said, they are priced a bit over the range you wanted to spend.

A couple of options I would consider, though I can't claim to have experience with these specific rods would be the Rapala Classic Trout series and Phenix has a couple of series aimed at UL trout fishing that intrigue me and seem to be priced pretty reasonably ( and also fit the bling criteria I see you mentioned somewhere ). I actually looked for one of the Rapala Classic Trout rods before I bought my Fenwick, but being made by Rapala Canada, they are hard to get in the US. At only around $80 ( I think) they might be worth checking out. They recently added some new models that aren't yet on the website as well. The Phenix rods seem to be priced just slightly above the price range. Again, I haven't personally tried them, though I am intrigued by them and if there was a little more discretionary income in our budget right now, I'd definitely look at picking one up.

http://www.rapala.ca/products/rapala/classic_trout.php
http://www.phenixrods.com/index.php?mai ... page&id=11
http://www.phenixrods.com/index.php?mai ... page&id=10

Hope that helps. Let us know what you decide on btw.

TroutStlkr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TroutStlkr » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Not sure if these are out yet as they aren't on the website, but I remembered this Tackle Tour write-up on a new line of UL coming from Phenix called the Dragonfly series. Here's the link.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewise2012rods.html

And also the new rods added to the Classic Trout series by Rapala Canada.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewicast2011rapalacan.html

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:33 pm

but I believe the TSRs represent the best in UL available
I would agree with this.

I have the TSR791 and it is amazing.

if the budget is up to $150, it makes sense to spend a little more and buy the best UL rod available (arguably the TSR series) than $150 on a lesser rod IMO.

the TSR series rods are that good.