New Ultralight Addict

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
MikeDP
Angler
Angler

New Ultralight Addict

Post by MikeDP » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:18 am

Hello all, I'm new to these boards. I"ve been poking around for a week or so, and saw that it had plenty of information available. Being 15, and not having many employment opporutunities, my gear and lure selections are somewhat limited, but I want to learn how to the Shimano Saros 1000f, Gander Moundain Guide Series 6" UL rod, 20 or so ultralight jerk, minnow, and crankbaits that I am fortunate to have in the persuit of my primary target species, trout and smallmouth. Basically, I'm here to learn. Hopefully in the near future, I will be able to acquire a Shimano Core 50mg7 that will (after some upgrades), serve my purposes as an ul baitcasting reel.
Last edited by MikeDP on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickman1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New Ultralight Addict

Post by rickman1 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:42 am

Welcome to the UL Forum, MikeDP! What part of the country are you at?

Everyone has to start somewhere. There is a lot of good information here as well as good people here to answer your questions and give you some good pointers.

Keep us updated on your progress.

MikeDP
Angler
Angler

Post by MikeDP » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:11 am

I'm a little south of Pittsburgh. I live in what is probably the crappiest fishing region in the Northeast. lol

Ranger 619VS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ranger 619VS » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:22 pm

Welcome Mike,

Nice to see you here. Lots of good UL fisherman here. Your spinning combo should serve you well. Add some soft plastics to that lure arsenal and you will be all set. Post pictures or comments. Ask questions. I and the other ul addicts will always try and answer.

Ranger 619VS

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:11 pm

Welcome. My advice is to keep it simple, it's easy to become overwhelmed. Your rig will be fine. Take Ranger's advice about the small plastics (1" - 2") on small jigheads (1/32 - 1/16 oz) These will get bit anywhere.

Everyone thinks they have the worst fishing area. That's where UL shines, it will get you fish almost anywhere. One of my most productive ponds is a small retention pond in an industrial park :-$ Don't ever dismiss a body of water because it doesn't look like it's out of Field & Stream magazine. The 5 lb bass I caught from there is proof of that.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:59 pm

Hello!!

You've got a decent set up...i have a Saros 1000F myself. The Gander rod will work.

Later, you can go insane and own 20 rods and reels. :D

Jigs and plastics are relatively inexpensive; spinners and spoons aren't that bad either as far as cost goes.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:31 pm

As far as being limited on funds for baits and such, don't sweat it. Here's an example of recycling a bait. I have caught many, many fish on this. If you fish senko type stick worms, you know they get torn up quickly.

Cut 1" - 1 1/2" of the tail and rig onto a jighead. So simple it's almost stupid. The bait does absolutely nothing - that's the beauty of it. There are times when the fish will crush this thing. Try different retrieves until you find your sweet spot.
ul bait.jpg
ul bait.jpg (27.3 KiB) Viewed 6061 times
Don't stop at stick worms. Hang on to your torn up plastics and use your imagination. Just about any chunk of plastic on a jighead will catch fish.

MikeDP
Angler
Angler

Post by MikeDP » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:50 am

Thanks all! Uljersey, that actually looks very effective. I will have to try that out next time one of my bass senkos has gone beyond the point of no return. :lol: The Gander Mtn rood has actually served me very well. It is im8 (as if that really means anything), so it is resonably sensitive, but really has the perfect action and length (6 ft) for ul cranks and ripbait. The loose action is also good to have for my 4lb. nanofil. I do have a couple dozen jigs head in 1/16, 1/32, 1/64/ and 1/128 weights. The 1/128 tipped with a gulp alive cricket are deadly on bluegill in my area.

SmallieSmasher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SmallieSmasher » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:50 am

MikeDP wrote:Thanks all! Uljersey, that actually looks very effective. I will have to try that out next time one of my bass senkos has gone beyond the point of no return. :lol: The Gander Mtn rood has actually served me very well. It is im8 (as if that really means anything), so it is resonably sensitive, but really has the perfect action and length (6 ft) for ul cranks and ripbait. The loose action is also good to have for my 4lb. nanofil. I do have a couple dozen jigs head in 1/16, 1/32, 1/64/ and 1/128 weights. The 1/128 tipped with a gulp alive cricket are deadly on bluegill in my area.
You've probably already thought of it, but instead of getting the Core as an UL baitcaster, go for the Pixy, it's the king for bait finesse fishing.

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:19 am

The Pixy definately appears to be the choice for UL. I have a Core 51Mg7, admittedly not used for UL and can't fault it. I'm throwing baits in the 25g - 60g range for pike, and it does it with aplomb.

MikeDP
Angler
Angler

Post by MikeDP » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:02 pm

My only grip about the Pixy is relatively low line pick-up. And the higher gear-ratio model is too expensive for my budget.

q1w2e3_89
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by q1w2e3_89 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:05 am

What's your budget? A Curado 50/51 with a Yumeya or Avail spool is probably the cheapest solution.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:21 am

Well again, you have the Saros and Gander...perfectly fine for UL....doing UL on baitcasting gear is much harder and as you have seen, more expensive....nice hobby to dabble with as you can afford to though. The big advantage with spinning gear though is that only the lure and line are moving, not a spool and bearings. If you poke around the other subforums, you will see the issue addressed, regarding getting maximum distance. Many of those guys are discussing regular sized reels and baits, but the desired result is the same. They get into rod action, bearing types, bearing lub, line, spool type and etc.

There are some of the same concerns with UL spinning gear too, of course....and talking/debating/arguing over it all keeps this forum running!! :D

mylobass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mylobass » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:41 am

Ultralight baitcasting is an especially addictive passion. Shimano fanatics have to look to Japans aftermarket, Daiwa only folks await their JDM masterpieces that come out of those custom shops. The original ultralight/light baitcaster is still around and a better choice, just ignored by the ultra elite Asia only angler of today. The Abu Ambassadeur 2500/2600 and 1500/1600. It doesnt need any upgrade or special tuning. I throw 3/16oz rapalas, weightless baby flukes and 1/8oz spoons and bucktails at baby tarpon and snook in windy conditions. The key is the rod not the reel so there is no reason to delve into JDM parts to try to create something that'll work out of a reel that wasnt really designed to do it.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:02 am

While I love the old stuff, there is no comparison to the new reels. I grew up with all manner of Abu 1500/1600, even a 1750 that had no drag. A joy on little tunas. Those old reels are not even in the same league as the Pixy or the Aldebaran. The rod is very important but the same holds true to the old versions as compared to the new ones. The new reels will cast lighter lures, farther than ever before and with less problems.

It is fun to look back and remember, however, the new stuff is the performance standard.