budget UL rod suggestions

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

budget UL rod suggestions

Post by sqhertz » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:42 pm

so im pondering getting into UL. i already have a fenwick river runner 6'8" l/f that i love but i sometimes want to throw smaller and lighter baits that it just wont handle. things like smaller cranks, tiny plastics and 1/16 jigs.
im looking to spend $70-100 for 5'6" to 6'6" 2 piece UL rod. im planning on a 20 or 25 size president with 4 or 6# diameter braid for whatever i get. ive owned an older model and was very pleased so i would imagine the never ones would be better.

so far i keep going back to the clarus simply because of shimanos awesome warranty. ive used it in the past for an older clarus and compre and it was very painless.
http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content ... nning.html

another that ive been concidering is the new presso but im still uncertain because ive never owned a diawa product and am unsure of a warranty. the components and finish look nicer than the clarus but with the shimano, i wont feel like i need to watch my every step (i can be a but clumsy at times).
http://www.fishusa.com/Daiwa-Presso-Ult ... ods_p.html

so, what do you guys suggest?

thanks!!

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: budget UL rod suggestions

Post by sqhertz » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:10 pm

another one i just stumbled across is the fenwick 6'0 HMG 2 piece, but its only rated 1/16-1/4oz...i would also have to contact them about exactly what guides are on the rod.

cabelas says hardloy....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fenwick1 ... l+Products

fenwick says alconite...

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/prod.php? ... 0(1178979)

i do like that handle material though..

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Budget daiwas 10% off until tomorrow ... http://www.fishusa.com/Daiwa-Spinmatic- ... ods_p.html

Or get another Elite Tech for $106 & free shipping ... http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Fe ... oduct.html

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Factory Recon President 25 size, new style with better handle. Free shipping until the 19th ... http://www.ffo-tackle.com/detail.cfm?PassProdId=5968

90 day warranty. Another member here (Smead) bought a reel through them, said it was as close to brand new as you could get.

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:06 pm

I've been eyeing th president at ffo for a bit. I got a couple reels from them in the past and I can agree, they were in like new condition.

Good deal on the fenwicks. What difference is there between their UL and SL? There's a decent chance ill hook into a decent bass or peacock and dont really want a wet noodle in my hands.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:11 pm

I haven't handled the SL, can't help you there, but I have several 5 lb + LMB on my 6' 8" UL Elite Tech and it has more than enough backbone to handle a larger fish. I never caught a peacock, but I don't see it being a problem.

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:52 pm

Nice. I would prefer a smaller rod but I woudlnt mind the 6'8 at that price.

basscrusher
Angler
Angler

Post by basscrusher » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:28 pm

Dicks Sporting Goods just put out a new series of Field and Stream rods called the Tech Lite. I handled a few the first day they put them on the racks this week. They feel like quality. $50. I'm VERY tempted even though I just ordered a St Croix Panfish series...

check them out.

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:10 pm

sqhertz wrote:another one i just stumbled across is the fenwick 6'0 HMG 2 piece, but its only rated 1/16-1/4oz...i would also have to contact them about exactly what guides are on the rod.

cabelas says hardloy....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fenwick1 ... l+Products

fenwick says alconite...

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/prod.php? ... 0(1178979)

i do like that handle material though..
I own four of the current HMGs. All have Alconite guides.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:46 am

Well, given what you already have, what you want to do and your budget, it sounds like you have noted several good options...as have others.

Some general notes.

I'd suggest getting something that 4# could be used with, given your other rod handling heavier...select a rod that has a lure weight range of 1/32 to 3/16 oz and 1/16oz will be ballpark the middle of it's range.

That Fenwick SL rating is supposed to mean Super Light, so it will be whippish...as will be the Diawa Spinmatic C's.

Presso rod action reports are few due to when that rod series came out...late last year...I imagine that they will be forthcoming as the weather improves.

Personally, your use description might make a St Croix Premier a choice, 6'6" 2pc UL, it is rated 1/32-3/16 oz...high end of your budget...though I'd really suggest the Avid model with those specs...a bit stiffer...though that would be above your budget. Their warranty system is well described at their website.

You also seem to like Fenwick though...so a ET River Runner with light specs might do it for you.

I play with some of the lower end stuff for misc reasons, but you can only squeeze so much out of anything "budget"...though really, you're getting pretty good for what you pay for a lot of the equipment priced from $50-100. if you do break one though, no urge to commit hari-kari over it.

Also, FFO was offering the older 6700 series Pflueger Supremes too now and then...though they weren't refurb's so the stock may be exhausted now. When available they were going for about $65, though their smallest size is a 25.

A 10 sized Quantum Energy PTiB would also be in the ballpark if you hunt around.

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:26 pm

Thanks fo the replies. Ill be going with 4# braid and cxx leader. I use 4# and 6# braid with a 6# cxx leader on my light/fast outfit and love it.

I've handled a couple st croix and didnt really get that excited about them. I dont think either was an avid though. I try not to play with rods I can't afford, lol.

I wouldnt mind lower end as long as its a good value. This won't be my primary rod so dont want too much into it.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:08 pm

One out of left field since they are not made anymore is the old Daiwa Procyon line...the ones consided "2012" not 2013. The older line models were all UL, the new Procyon line just has one UL rod. Essentially, the new Presso's replaced the older Procyons for UL.

I was picking the older model Proycons late last year for about $45 apiece when they became outdated...hard part now would be finding any at this point. Before being superceded, they went for what the new Presso's cost now.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:26 am

basscrusher wrote:Dicks Sporting Goods just put out a new series of Field and Stream rods called the Tech Lite. I handled a few the first day they put them on the racks this week. They feel like quality. $50. I'm VERY tempted even though I just ordered a St Croix Panfish series...

check them out.
I bought a 2pc 5-6 Field and Stream UL rod for 19.95 a while back, I keep it in my truck. It is a nice little rod. It is certainly comparable to most of the stuff that has the Bass Pro label.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:20 am

For a real budget rod that I have actually been using around here with a lot of success is the 2pc. Okuma Celilo 6'6" UL.

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Okuma-Ce ... nning-Rods

I have it matched with a Purist 25 and 4lb. flouro. I have crushing trout here from browns in the 15 inch range (did have one easily over 20" hit a spoon right at the bank but I missed it) and even take the rod out for brookies in the deeper woods around here.

The rods from Dicks Sporting Goods also seem nice...the tec-lite series that is. How about a St. Croix Triumph 6'6" UL or L?

But seriously, don't let cheap price and cheap quality always be synonymous...that's why I say check out the Celilo series from Okuma.

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:04 pm

Sorry to reply so late but I ended up with the procyon with a 25 president. So far it's been doing very well for me. Haven't landed anything huge but for the price it's an excellent value and I would recommend it anyone. It's not whippy enough to throw the smallest jigs but works well enough for what I use it for.