Phenix Elixir

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
FatsmontgomeryIII
Angler
Angler

Phenix Elixir

Post by FatsmontgomeryIII » Sat May 04, 2013 12:54 pm

Anyone got one?

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Phenix Elixir

Post by Smead » Sun May 05, 2013 7:15 am

ogrich31 has one...you might want to PM him...people may not know that the forums are back up after the 2nd blackout.

http://forums.tackletour.com/search.php ... 5&start=15

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Sun May 05, 2013 1:34 pm

what do you want to know about it? I can tell you that it's an amazing rod...

Loads up nicely with a strong back bone. Slightly more moderate action compared to a TSR in the same line/lure rating; and the TSR series has a faster recovery as well (not necessarily a bad thing, more of a personal preference).

It's still a very nice fast action rod, built better than the TSR series IMO (I have a TSR792 and a TSR791 GLX). Balances very nicely.

Here's a 6'6L 1pc in action

FatsmontgomeryIII
Angler
Angler

Post by FatsmontgomeryIII » Mon May 06, 2013 12:16 pm

That looks amazing. Thanks for the picture. What would you recommend lengthwise for throwing 1/16 oz jigs for panfish and smallies? Also, one piece or two?

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Mon May 06, 2013 5:12 pm

fishing wise, always one pc instead of two, more consistent blank action. Only go 2 pc if you have transportation and storage issues.

I assume when you say 1/16 is the jig head weight, the entire lure w/ trailer would probably be around 1/8. The length would depend on what type of structure you're throwing to. The longer the rod, the better distance you get but you lose accuracy. I think the 6'6 (FX661-1) is a great all around option.

If you're fishing brush piles from a boat, the 6' is a really nice rod with a slightly faster action than the 6'6.

And of course 7' if you do a lot of open water fishing.

rglabach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rglabach » Thu May 09, 2013 11:52 am

I've built on an Elixir 8 foot blank - two piece. Right after that I sold my two TSR rods and built a 7 foot 6 inch Elixir rod. For ultralight blanks, they are remarkably fast in action. They are also not wobbly, which is my pet peeve when using most types of ultralight rods. I found the TSRs too wobbly and not sensitive enough.

If you have one built for you, do yourself a favor and forget the bling/ decorations so you can truly enjoy a sensitive UL rod.

Enjoy,
Rick

rglabach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rglabach » Thu May 09, 2013 11:56 am

ah_long wrote:fishing wise, always one pc instead of two, more consistent blank action. Only go 2 pc if you have transportation and storage issues.
I'd have to respectfully disagree with that perspective - I'd challenge each of you to fish a one piece quality rod vs. a two piece quality rod blindfolded and see if you could discern a difference. Also bear in mind that many high quality fly rods are multi-piece.

Rick

FatsmontgomeryIII
Angler
Angler

Post by FatsmontgomeryIII » Sat May 11, 2013 9:48 am

Anyone own an iron feather for comparison?

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sun May 12, 2013 2:13 am

I can't recall anyone saying that they had one.

Though, IIRC, somebody mentioned that they were considering one, but had heard that the line was going to get a makeover, or even be replaced and was going to wait and see what happened.

I can not remember who it was though.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Mon May 13, 2013 4:13 am

Iron Feathers are much faster in comparison. I've used one, but have never owned one so I cannot give you a detailed comparison.

From what I heard, the problems with the Iron Feathers are their blanks at the top are very thin. They broke on many people, my friends included. I believe Phenix fixed this by adding a finish to that portion of the blank, making it more durable. You can tell which version you have by checking whether or not that thin part of the blank has a finish on it or not.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Mon May 13, 2013 2:41 pm

rglabach wrote:
ah_long wrote:fishing wise, always one pc instead of two, more consistent blank action. Only go 2 pc if you have transportation and storage issues.
I'd have to respectfully disagree with that perspective - I'd challenge each of you to fish a one piece quality rod vs. a two piece quality rod blindfolded and see if you could discern a difference. Also bear in mind that many high quality fly rods are multi-piece.

Rick
it really depends on the application and the rod action. I understand that there are many high quality fly/float rods, but they are not made into multi pieces because they provide a better action, it's just for the ease of travel.

The ultimate goal of making multi piece rods are to make them perform on par with one piece rods; higher end rods would close the gap better then cheaper made rods. In general, to say there's a indiscernable difference between one piece and multi piece rods would be to a bit far fetched.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Mon May 13, 2013 2:43 pm

FatsmontgomeryIII wrote:Anyone own an iron feather for comparison?
The iron feather is a totally different animal, the tip is similar to the Titanium tip in the Cielo or the Megatop tip in the Steez line.

The rod is very fast in comparison to the Elixir.

I haven't fished the Iron Feather and have only played with it in store.

lotsagas4u
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by lotsagas4u » Mon May 13, 2013 10:43 pm

Hey, new guy here, ordered a 7foot elixir yesterday. Thinking about a smaller reel, maybe a stradic 1000. I will use this rig for crappie and bluegill, maybe some mountain trout with lighter line, your thoughts?

finebar4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finebar4 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:05 am

lotsagas4u wrote:Hey, new guy here, ordered a 7foot elixir yesterday. Thinking about a smaller reel, maybe a stradic 1000. I will use this rig for crappie and bluegill, maybe some mountain trout with lighter line, your thoughts?
I think this guy is a little jealous of your purchase. Congrats, we want a full report on the desk by Monday!!! I think the mountain trout would be a blast on that. I do a little mountain trout fishing myself really wanted to give the Elixer a try, but nobody local carries them. I think a Stradic on there would be a great match up. I like the Pfleugar Patriarch or Abu Revos too, lighter weight and solid performers in the same pricing area ($199 or $249 at full retail, however, deals CAN be found).

Nice purchase!

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:58 am

I'd like to add the PM's between me and FatsmontgomeryIII. I've edited part of the PM's, but all of the info about the Elixirs are there.
FatsmontgomeryIII wrote:In the market for an elixir. Rumor has it you have tried one (This coming from Smead). How is the tip and backbone? Is it more of a medfast like a whip or a faster tip? Also, what is your preferred length?
I've tried a couple of ultralight rods so I think I can give you some input comparing the rod to others. But first, which elixir (length/model) are you planning to get, and what other ultralight rods have you tried?

The elixir is a nice rod. I've owned many of them from 6'6" to 9'. It really depends on what you're planning to use the rod for since the shorter rods will have less tip. The longer rods will have more tip so they'll be better for jigging, although some prefer glass rods for jigging. The tips on these rods seem like a true fast action and does not have a med/fast whip action. The backbone on the elixirs are the best thing about the rod. They have a tremendous backbone that does not flex (or so that's how it seems like to me). They have more backbone than the G Loomis TSR series. I also own a G Loomis IMX SR781 and the 6'6" elixir has more backbone as well.

I like to use the 7' for ultralight drop shotting and 7'6"(2 piece) as my all around rod (I will explain why I like the 2 piece later).

I'd also like to add that the factory Elixirs have horrible quality control. I'm not sure if it's just those rods or Phenix all together, but I know that all of my elixirs have come with off centered guides and none have been spined correctly. With that said, the 2 custom elixirs I've owned were the best elixirs of the bunch.

Also, if you plan to get factory, there are two different options: split grip or full grip. I prefer the full grip Elixirs since I hold my spinning rods completely on the forgrip (no finger gets inbetween the reel foot handle). With the split grip, there is a very small foregrip so you cannot hold your rod like that.

I'd also like to add that on the Elixirs, the 2 piece rods have more tip than on the one-piece rods. This isn't just from my own experience. I've also heard that from one of my friends and a local custom rod builder.

Seems like a lot of info but let me know what rods you have used and I'll give you my comparison if I have used that rod. Or feel free to ask me questions.

FatsmontgomeryIII wrote:That is all amazing information. It is very clear that you know your stuff. Maybe you can help me out with my selection process. I am looking for an ultralight rod for throwing 1/16 oz jigs to panfish and smallies. I usually fish from a boat and don't have to worry about overhead clearance. The only other ultralights that I have fished with are quantums, shimanos, and st. croix which all feel sort of like wet noodles to me.

Any suggestions on the length and 1 piece or 2 pieces?
I haven't fished with any Quantum or St. Croix ultralight rods as I've converted most to customs. I have used some Shimanos but don't own any at the moment. So I can't help you there.

What length were you planning to get? Oh, and what lb test were you planning to throw? Those might go into factor as well as far as which model since there are quite a few models in the Elixir lineup.

But for 1/16 oz stuff, I'd stay with whatever length you're comfortable with. All of their ultralight rods (2-6lb rated rods) will be able to toss 1/16 oz. When you get closer to the 1/32oz stuff (and lighter), the tip on the elixir becomes a factor imo and some rods don't fair as well as others in that line up. I'd go with the 2 piece rod for more tip though. When I say more tip, I mean that the 1 piece rods seem stiffer up top to me.

Oh, and there are also different blanks with the Elixir lineup. The old green blank, the current grey blank, and the newer green blank. The older green blank didn't have the tip that the newer ones have. Both of the grey and newer green blanks fish exactly the same. I've only owned 2 of the newer green blanks, but they seem like the same blanks to me. I think the difference is the newer green blanks have a finish on them.

I would also like to add that the Elixir has a lot of backbone compared to other rods. You WILL NOT be able to feel any flex on the reel handle or foregrip like most ultralight rods. Some people like this, some don't.

I hope this helps others out there who are looking to get an Elixir.