Rod suggestions

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rod suggestions

Post by sqhertz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:41 pm

I'm looking for some rod suggestions with a budget of $150-170. Prefer a soft tip with some backbone. Needs to be a 2 piece too.

So far I'm leaning towards avids.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rod suggestions

Post by cst » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Avid user for about 5 years. I like the one piece fast action just a little bit better though.

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:07 pm

I can't remember reading anything negative about the avids. Right now I'm stuck between those and the Fenwick river runner. With the RR, I would have extra cash for tackle. Can anyone say if the avid is worth the extra $60?

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:19 am

sqhertz wrote:I can't remember reading anything negative about the avids. Right now I'm stuck between those and the Fenwick river runner. With the RR, I would have extra cash for tackle. Can anyone say if the avid is worth the extra $60?
Both have a lifetime warranty. I broke an Avid MF spinning rod a few years ago and had zero trouble with St. Croix about getting it replaced - even though I told them that I may have been at fault and I would wait for them to inspect it and make the call from there. Never had to deal with Fenwick with warranty and won't have to because that rod is at the bottom of a lake now :evil:

I have never handled the Avid UL, I have read they are somewhat 'noodly', which would be a turn off for me.

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:45 am

I was waiting for you to reply, jersey. Lol

I read your thread about the tragic accident and im sorry for your loss. I kinda want to avoid the noodle rods at this time. Maybe later down the road I but for now I would like some reassurance knowing I can bring in a 3lb fish without tiring us both out. I've read someone's post a while back about Fenwick CS and it was positive so no worries there.

Iirc, you had a size 25 supreme on yours, how did that balance out? My 1000f saros will be mounted on this rod and weighs a bit over 7oz. If you had to do it again, would you get another river runner?

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:33 am

...rod is at the bottom of a lake now.
You haven't contacted the guy who found the Titanic and Bismarck yet?? :o

I'd vote Avid if it came to a choice between the two...it's the Premier rods that feel softish, relatively, they use SC II rather than the Avid's SC III blank.

I have the 6'6" 2pc UL and would not consider it a noodle.

Though there is a limit on what ultralight and even light rods can do while still being considered as such. If something largish strikes, one is most not going to be able to just winch it in. Your reel drag is going to have to assist.

Generally, you need the noodle action to protect low break strength line chosen for sport and to better able to toss small offerings. Therefore, you'd most likely want to use no less than then 4#, maybe even 6#, so as to not need a total noodle.

Though if using 6# line, some would say that you are fishing light gear, not ultralight.

Some guys attempt to get around the above dilemma by using small diameter superlines and braids that are way stronger than equivalent diameter mono line. Then again, you can have a rod break if using that sort of line if it's way above the rod's line rating.

People are generally happier if the line snaps rather than their expensive rod.

Then there is the purist school whom would consider even 4# mono line as "going heavy"...using superlines is simply not done.

So much comes down to what you want to do.

Also, you may have someplace close where both rods can be handled. Gander Mountain always seemed to have Premiers in stock, but sometimes Avids as well. perhaps if a Cabels' is close, they might have both rods. A few phone calls might have you able to get hands on both reels before you buy.

also, I have had my Saros 100f on the 6'6" Avid and it did fine...those reels were supposed to have the old 750 size bodies. i'd say that a Pflueger 25 size would be about the same. The Pfluger manages to match the 1000 size/weight by using magnesium.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:45 am

BTW

Panther Plus ROV

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:34 am

Thanks for the reply Smead. I was looking at the 6' and 6'6" 2 piece avids and am considering them even more now.

I totally understand what you mean about super lines. I have 15 and 20lb braid with 6lb leader on my light rig and it actually landed my personal best. Definitely didn't winch her in. Being in Miami, there is a ton of salt water gear. Not so much light freshwater so getting my hands on them would be a long shot. However , if for some reason im disappointed with my purchase, a refund or exchange wouldn't ruin anythingg for me.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:58 am

Smead wrote: I'd vote Avid if it came to a choice between the two...it's the Premier rods that feel softish, relatively, they use SC II rather than the Avid's SC III blank.
Ahhh, thanks for clearing that up.That opens up the Avid as a possible replacement for the submerged Fenwick. I prefer a bit of backbone in my rods.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:07 am

Smead wrote:BTW

Panther Plus ROV

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out on Craigs List for one :mrgreen:

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:19 am

uljersey wrote:
Smead wrote: I'd vote Avid if it came to a choice between the two...it's the Premier rods that feel softish, relatively, they use SC II rather than the Avid's SC III blank.
Ahhh, thanks for clearing that up.That opens up the Avid as a possible replacement for the submerged Fenwick. I prefer a bit of backbone in my rods.
You should try one first before buying if able...I've not been able to handle the Fenwick and you liked yours quite a bit; Maybe it is equivalent.

Though once I bought my Avid UL, I got a light and ML rod too...I really like them. I had a tendency to use the light rod for cranks with a large lip due to the increased drag...that's before I discovered all these microcranks. The ML was for when heading to smallmouth water...those things are tigers!!

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:21 am

Panther Plus ROV

Maybe they can be rented!! :D

The expedition could be a Youtube smash...with the right soundtrack, an Indiana Jones hat and a female love interest, of course.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:39 am

Smead wrote: You should try one first before buying if able
There's the rub - handling rods before buying. In my area, if you can find 3 UL rods in the same store, you accomplished something.
But they will almost always be in the 5' to 5' 6" range, which is fine for some but I prefer 6' 8" and longer. But being I fish from a kayak most of the time, I've learned to compromise in rod selection - I will pick a rod that fishes a variety of baits vs a technique specific approach - I just don't have the room to carry many rigs but want to fish a variety of baits. The minimalist approach has worked well for me.

Buying rods sight unseen is always a gamble, but just about every one I own has worked out well for me. I can work around and adapt as needed, and it usually works out that I figure out what rod fishes what bait better than the others and eventually every one finds it's place.

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:37 am

Any other options I should look into?

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:57 am

There's some options not mentioned due to being only 1 pc, like Falcon, or just as expensive or more than an Avid, like a Phenix Elixir. There may be something in the Shimano inventory that would work, but I'm not realty familiar with their rod stuff.

Daiwa seems to have a lot under $100...not much mid-range, then JDM expensive.