New Rod opinions needed

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
BlindSkill
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

New Rod opinions needed

Post by BlindSkill » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:13 am

Hi guys,

I am interested in your opinions and recommendations for a new 6'-6" to 7'-0" Light power spinning rod. I realize that this is an ultralight forum but I have read many posts from members utilizing light tackle in the past so I figured this would probably be the best place to post. I am looking for this rod to really be an all around rod for light tackle used in sparse to moderate vegetation for panfish, crappie and the occasional bass that bites. I will be pairing the rod with a Shimano Sahara 1000 I have and am looking to fish micro cranks, jerkbaits, topwaters, inline spinners, jigs and plastics with this setup. I am looking to spend between $100-$130 for the rod, below are a few of my top choices(along with specs) that I'd appreciate opinions on but feel free to recommend other makes and models. Thanks.

Omen Black 6'-10" L
Model #: OBSA610L
Length: 6'-10"
Power: Light
Action: Fast
# of Pieces: 1
Lure Rating: 1/32 - 1/4

Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner 6'-8" L
Model #:ERR68-L-F-2
Length: 6'-8"
Action: Fast
# of Pieces: 2
Lure Rating: 1/32 - 5/16

St Croix Panfish Series 7'-0" L
Model #: PFS70LXF
Length: 7'-0"
Action: X-Fast
Lure Rating: 1/16 - 3/16

Powell Max 7'-0" L
Model #: 701-LEF
Length: 7'-0"
Action: X-Fast
Lure Rating: 1/8 - 3/8

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Rod opinions needed

Post by earthworm77 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:22 am

I like the 1 power from Powell but not 7ft for light tackle. If you look around though, you might be able to find a Dobyn's Champion 681 or Saavy 692 that would work well for the tech's you are interested in. I own both rods and they cover the whole gamut of light tackle methods I employ.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:15 am

The Fenwick is a fantastic rod all around. They really nailed it with the action/taper. Casts light baits like a dream but has no problem handling a larger fish. I have the 6' 8" ultralight model.

Don't be nervous because it's a two piece stick. Mine has been fished extensively since ice out back in early spring and the ferrule joint has not moved at all. As far as sensitivity goes, I can detect light pecks from skittish crappie without any problem.

Of course performance comes first, but on top of that it's just a beautiful rod to look at and the handle design is a winner.

I own a 6' 10" ML Omen Black. Nice rod over all, well made and tough to beat for $100. My only negative is the handle is just a tad too skinny for me, it may not be an issue for you though.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:02 pm

The River Runner is changed up a bit this year...more models and the 6'8" is now a 6'9"...price increase of $20 as well.

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/Fenwick%C ... lt,pd.html

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:02 pm

What about the St. Croix Trout series?

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:27 am

Big-Bass wrote:What about the St. Croix Trout series?
That would depend on whether he's tooling for a 1pc or 2pc... The only one within his length requirements is the 7'.... Does look like a good rod, tho!

BlindSkill
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by BlindSkill » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:11 am

earthworm77 wrote:I like the 1 power from Powell but not 7ft for light tackle. If you look around though, you might be able to find a Dobyn's Champion 681 or Saavy 692 that would work well for the tech's you are interested in. I own both rods and they cover the whole gamut of light tackle methods I employ.
Did you not like the Powell because of the length or some other reason? (I was slightly concerned with the lure rating for lighter baits, but included it because it seems like a good rod and its on sale at tacklewarehouse)
uljersey wrote:The Fenwick is a fantastic rod all around. They really nailed it with the action/taper. Casts light baits like a dream but has no problem handling a larger fish. I have the 6' 8" ultralight model.

Don't be nervous because it's a two piece stick. Mine has been fished extensively since ice out back in early spring and the ferrule joint has not moved at all. As far as sensitivity goes, I can detect light pecks from skittish crappie without any problem.

Of course performance comes first, but on top of that it's just a beautiful rod to look at and the handle design is a winner.

I own a 6' 10" ML Omen Black. Nice rod over all, well made and tough to beat for $100. My only negative is the handle is just a tad too skinny for me, it may not be an issue for you though.
How would you compare the the River Runner to the Omen Black in terms of sensitivity and balance? (I realize there is quite a power difference between your two rods, but these were my two top choices so I am intrigued)

BlindSkill
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by BlindSkill » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:26 am

Big-Bass wrote:The River Runner is changed up a bit this year...more models and the 6'8" is now a 6'9"...price increase of $20 as well.

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/Fenwick%C ... lt,pd.html
I saw that Fenwick had released new models but didn't really see much of a difference between the old models and this new ones in terms of the blank and components used. I was planning on getting one of the older models unless there is some reason to spend more for the new model.
Fishinfanatic115 wrote:
Big-Bass wrote:What about the St. Croix Trout series?
That would depend on whether he's tooling for a 1pc or 2pc... The only one within his length requirements is the 7'.... Does look like a good rod, tho!
I would definitely consider the trout series as well, it seems like its built on the same blank as the panfish series with the same hardware. Just differing lengths and coming in two pieces, if you have an opinion on the trout series I'd be glad to hear it.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:17 pm

I like the St Croix Premier better than the Panfish series because of the guides and the I find them built better…made in WI and the Panfish are made in Mexico. If you can swing it or wait for a sale, the Avid L powered rods are fantastic and a step up in nearly everything….but they are around 169 regular price.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:45 am

BlindSkill wrote:
earthworm77 wrote:I like the 1 power from Powell but not 7ft for light tackle. If you look around though, you might be able to find a Dobyn's Champion 681 or Saavy 692 that would work well for the tech's you are interested in. I own both rods and they cover the whole gamut of light tackle methods I employ.
Did you not like the Powell because of the length or some other reason? (I was slightly concerned with the lure rating for lighter baits, but included it because it seems like a good rod and its on sale at tacklewarehouse)
uljersey wrote:The Fenwick is a fantastic rod all around. They really nailed it with the action/taper. Casts light baits like a dream but has no problem handling a larger fish. I have the 6' 8" ultralight model.

How would you compare the the River Runner to the Omen Black in terms of sensitivity and balance? (I realize there is quite a power difference between your two rods, but these were my two top choices so I am intrigued)
My personal feeling is that, even in a boat, the 1 power 7fter is a bit whippy. I have a 1 power 6-8 Dobyn's and I think it is perfect............I prefer a slightly shorter rod because I sometimes deal with overhead obstructions that in the past have claimed a few rod tips, if you don't have to worry about that then it might be good for you. The Powell should give you some tip action to throw the lighter stuff. I'm throwing 1/16oz jig on my 681 with no issues, if you were to use 4lb line or Nanofil, you could get even lighter. I also personally don't care for a 2pc rod, especially a light or UL where you will likely notice the weight with the ferule more than you would a heavier action.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:17 am

BlindSkill wrote:

To be honest, most anglers measure sensitivity as related to slow presentations such as worms, jigs and other baits drug along the bottom. Being I don't use those presentations with UL gear, I'm not sure I can give you an honest head to head comparison between the two rods. The closest I can get is yes, with the Fenwick I can feel the vibration of a Yo-Zuri Snap Bean micro crank as it's being retrieved, as I can detect taps and nibbles from small panfish while fishing a 1/16 oz jig head rigged with a small plastic creature. With the Omen I have no problem detecting a finesse worm being worked over a branch or a subtle pickup by a wary fish. Even though the Omen is a ML, it fishes more like a medium IMO.

As far as balance, that's a tough call as your reel choice will have the biggest influence there. I pretty much fish Daiwa SS Tournaments exclusively - a 700 on my Fenwick UL rig and a 1300 on the Omen. I don't have a balance issue with either rig.

One thing you should be aware of with the Fenwick is the hidden handle reel seat. I discovered the Daiwa has a rather short reel foot which forced me to improvise a bit. Being the Fenwick's reel seat nut is at the end of it's travel before it's capable of grabbing both ends of the reel foot, I had to use the front part of the reel seat and tape the back part of the reel foot down. I used a non adhesive rubber splicing tape which works very well - the reel has no movement whatsoever. Unless you are going to put a 30 year old Daiwa on yours, I think the chances of you having this issue is slim to none.

I like the "cleanness" of the Omen. Nice and subtle, no bling and will look good with just about any reel out there. Like I said, if the handle were just a tiny bit larger in diameter it would be even nicer. I've since added a wrap of that splicing tape to it, and an added benefit is it prevents the reel nut from backing off which seems to be in issue with many rods.