Review: Major Craft Basspara 6-6 ULS

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Review: Major Craft Basspara 6-6 ULS

Post by earthworm77 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:11 am

Every so often something comes along that becomes a diamond in the rough. For me, the Major Craft Basspara 6-6 UL spinning rod has become one of those treasures. While looking extensively at higher end UL rods that I just couldn't seem to justify because of their price tags, I stumbled upon the Major Craft Basspara. Made exclusively for the Asian market, I managed to wrestle one up on ebay for 79.00 plus 18.00 for shipping. I have seen them go as high as 149.00 plus shipping. I think my purchase came before a market developed for this rod.

The rod is a 6-6 UL rod that features 7 guides plus a tip top. The deep blue blank is pretty and highlighted by some nice graphics. The handle is a sweet split grip that features very solid cork around the reel seat and a foam butt that has some nice silver inlays and graphics on the butt end bottom.

The reel seat has a wide range to adjust to a reel with even the largest footings although for UL, that really isn't all that necessary. The blank just above the reel seat has very clean winding checks and more pretty graphics.

Visually, the rod is rather stunning. To me, this has never been an issue but the rod definitely gives you that degree of finish that one would expect in the Japanese market.

On The Water Performance
The Basspara is about as true an ultralight rod as you will find that is still useful for bass. I would say it is a “0” power rod. It has a moderate action and can handle baits from 1/32oz up through 3/16oz. I used 1/8oz hair jigs on it exclusively so far but I think it would make a killer drop shot rod as well for really light stuff.

The rod lacks the backbone of a typical bass fishing rod but it isn't a spaghetti wand either. Like I said, it is a true UL rod. I teamed it up for this photo session with a Shimano Symetre 750 and 6lb Fireline and threw hairjigs all day taking several fish in the 2+lb class with no issues.

I personally don't like to fish with a 2pc rod but it seems that all decent UL rods are 2pc. This was no exception and I have to admit that this ain't my Daddy's old 2pc rod. This one features a really solid friction joint/ferrule system that seems much smaller than typical 2pc rods. It simply works, is compact and the connection is small and holds the rod together solidly; I really didn't notice it at all.

I like just about everything regarding this rod with one small exception. The rod seemed to creak and crackle a bit when it flexed. I'm certain there is nothing defective about it as took several dozen fish on it so far but the occasional sound does take some getting used to. This may be due to the fact that it is a 2pc rod and the cracking sound could be the friction joint settling. Like I said, I wasn't too concerned by the time I finished fishing with it a few times. Being made for the Asian market, there is no warranty on this rod that translates to US use.

In all this is a very solid UL rod that is a true UL action. The price, performance as well as the beauty of it compel me to highly recommend it. It fished comfortably and handled both the baits and the fish I hooked. Major Craft has several rods in this series for UL from 5-0 to 7-2.

For flinging small hair jigs, the 6-6 Basspara BP ULS was perfect. I have had no issues with it while taking fish up to 3lbs. If you can get past the occasional creak, it really is an excellent UL spinning rod for a great price.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Review: Major Craft Basspara 6-6 ULS

Post by earthworm77 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:13 am

a couple of the photos got cut off, sorry about my lack of technological saavy!

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nctrucker » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:33 am

thanks for the timely, in depth review! I've been looking at a similar model, the basspara casting rods in UL, 6' 6", 6' 9". good to see some non stock pics.

Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryin » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:12 pm

Nice rod... great review... thanks for illumination on a JDM rod.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:04 am

Nice stick earthworm77, great review.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:41 am

I hope it helped you guys out.

I just saw I had a couple of questions sent to me in the past week or so in email, I responded to them. I don't log in here as often as I probably should.

To update you guys:

I now have a total of 6 Major Craft rods.

3 are Basspara's, one is a Corkish, one is a Trapara and the last a Go Emotion BFS caster. I really like the brand. They have been great for me and I'll likely do another review of the Corkish 652UL and the Trapara 662SUL. The blank diameter on the Trapara is about half the size of the Basspara in this review. It is crazy small and I've already taken some 2lb bass on it. Lots of fun.

rabbit91476
Angler
Angler

Post by rabbit91476 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:36 am

any up dates on this rod. going to head up to local lake and toss some power bait tomorrow and cast masters. and decide this weekend which rod I want to order.. this rod will mostly be for lake for trout and crappie and our average bass in 1-2 lb.. cast masters, sm spinners and ul cranks will be its primary use.. Do you feel your rod casts far enough in open lake or do you feel like you needed a longer rod. My purchase will go with a Sahara 1000 with 4lb fluro.

Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:00 pm

Very pretty rod... MC makes great stuff for the cost...

Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:00 pm

Very pretty rod... MC makes great stuff for the cost...

rabbit91476
Angler
Angler

Post by rabbit91476 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:34 pm

Guess ill find out in a few weeks when mine comes it. and should be able to give it a work out with some Lake Havaseu blue gill fishing during spring break.

lvang24
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lvang24 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:26 pm

this rod is great for the price and all the jdm parts are awesome!

BEST79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BEST79 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:59 pm

Be careful if you use a monofilament line from 6 pound and below.

I use a one piece 6.3 ul . The guide is oring and doesn't hold up a small line well.

After 30 casts it will give abrasion to a monofilament.

Once I've snapped my line and lost a brand new jerk bait!

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:13 pm

I have not had that experience with any of the Major Craft rods. I think you must have got a bad guide on yours because these Ul rods dictate the use of light lines. 4lb is pretty much standard.