Phenix Elixir vs. Loomis TSR

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Phenix Elixir vs. Loomis TSR

Post by Alphahawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:41 pm

Craiger12 wrote:I greatly appreciate the detailed post. I'm certainly not opposed to the idea of a solid tip Ajing rod, especially if I decide to go with straight fluorocarbon. The MC Truzer seems like a great rod and I really like the look of those torzite guides, but they are about $100 more than I really want to spend. Do you know of any more affordable Ajing offerings that still fit my criteria? Aside from the tip top guide issue with the Skyroad, what are your impressions of that series?
SkyRoad is great bang for the buck. My problem was I started ordering the high end stuff. It is off the charts. If I was you I would wait until around Christmas. The Japanese have some great sales...real sales. Last year I wanted a Nissin Dreams Yume Ajing rod. It was on sale for I think it was around $275. I kept looking at it over and over. That is a lot of money for a rod. But I worked up the courage to buy it and when I open up the website it was back up to $437. I should not have waited. I got my Megabass Shoreluck Limited on sale...so got lucky there. Point is if you see a rod on sale you like get it...they have real sales and when it is over it is over. Plus many JDM rod companies only make so many of one particular rod...Megabass is bad about this...then it is out of production. But also you can find sales when a new model of a certain rod comes out. If you can find some DAIWA GEKKABIJIN MX Ajing rods still for sell in the over 7 foot models they are only about $180....$200 shipped to your door. That would be a great buy. At one time those rods were over $300. I have one of the 7' 1" models.

Regards

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Craiger12 wrote:I greatly appreciate the detailed post. I'm certainly not opposed to the idea of a solid tip Ajing rod, especially if I decide to go with straight fluorocarbon. The MC Truzer seems like a great rod and I really like the look of those torzite guides, but they are about $100 more than I really want to spend. Do you know of any more affordable Ajing offerings that still fit my criteria? Aside from the tip top guide issue with the Skyroad, what are your impressions of that series?
Honestly if it wasn't for the tip top I'd still have it - it's a very good Aji rod and a great intro to the JDM UL rods. I also have a Skyroad Seabass model which I use every week - the fit, finish and value is excellent. You could also just order a suitable replacement tip top - Matagi is a Japanese rod-building supply outfit who can likely help. Incidentally they also sell Aji blanks - T-Russell brand - they have a very good reputation in Europe and are truly dirt cheap - $60 odd. The range is limited but worth a look. You can download a catalog.

You could also chat to Ben at the Art of Fishing in the UK - I know Ben and he will give good advice and can recommend European brand LRF rods that might work for you. Remember all UK pricing needs to be discounted by 21% because UK VAT is not charged on exports to the US.

As Alphahawk says though once you have a primo JDM UL rod in your hand the extra $100 will make sense.

alouie008
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alouie008 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:18 am

I have been reading this post with great interest and have decided to take the plunge into JDM rods. But where are you folks shopping?

Thank you in advance

Regards

-AL

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:14 am

alouie008 wrote:I have been reading this post with great interest and have decided to take the plunge into JDM rods. But where are you folks shopping?

Thank you in advance

Regards

-AL
I sent you a PM but will post here for others who may want same info. I buy my rods from Plat...Digitaka....and JPAngler. There are no more Daiwa MX Ajing that I can find. The Japanese will make so many of a rod and when they're gone that is it. They can make as few as 500 rods or make a rod model for a couple of years or more. I have learned buying JDM gear if it is on sale...you like it and want it you better get it or the item will be gone or sale will be over. Last Christmas I looked everyday at a Nissin Dreams Yume ajing rod...a thing of beauty and a high end rod. It was on sale at half off 51,000 Yen. One morning I got up and decided I wanted the rod and went to website and it was back up to the 51,000 Yen...I was sick. Lesson learned.

Regards

rglabach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rglabach » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:36 am

I recently purchased a Megabass LTD SLL-68ULS 6ft 8in Black Shoreluck. It has an internal ferrule that appears to be a little too large to completely fit within the top section. I asked the seller about this and got this response:

"With Megabass, these rods are not meant to be flush inside each other. There should be some play within the two joining pieces; this helps alleviate wear and tear over consistent usage. There may even been an inch or so of joint that is not inserted into the rod."

Have others had this experience? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rick

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:02 am

rglabach wrote:I recently purchased a Megabass LTD SLL-68ULS 6ft 8in Black Shoreluck. It has an internal ferrule that appears to be a little too large to completely fit within the top section. I asked the seller about this and got this response:

"With Megabass, these rods are not meant to be flush inside each other. There should be some play within the two joining pieces; this helps alleviate wear and tear over consistent usage. There may even been an inch or so of joint that is not inserted into the rod."

Have others had this experience? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rick

That is a spigot ferrule.....completely normal. I have them on many rods I use and no problems.

Regards

rglabach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rglabach » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:04 am

Thanks for the reassurance - I was concerned about the extra leverage imposed on the Spigot!

Rick

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:06 am

I highly recommend this for anyone who uses multi piece rods -

http://u-40.com/ferrulelube.html