Need clarification on rod designations

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Need clarification on rod designations

Post by earthworm77 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:09 pm

I have 6 Major Craft rods, I love them........Trapara's, Basspara's, a Go Emotion and a Corkish. What is the difference between an XUL and a SUL? I'm guessing they mean Xtra Ultra Lite and Super Ultra Lite. But is there a real difference between them? I can tell that the SUL is much lighter and more moderate to slow than my UL Basspara.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Need clarification on rod designations

Post by Smead » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:08 pm

I have seen both terms used in a manner that they might be interchangeable.

But there might be a finer distinction between them made by people who go that light. I figure it might be defined by a finer distinction in line test, lure weight and action.

The Threadlining website is no longer up, but rickman here was also a member of that site. Maybe he will see this and can explain...or you could PM him and ask.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:09 am

earthworm77 wrote:I have 6 Major Craft rods, I love them........Trapara's, Basspara's, a Go Emotion and a Corkish. What is the difference between an XUL and a SUL? I'm guessing they mean Xtra Ultra Lite and Super Ultra Lite. But is there a real difference between them? I can tell that the SUL is much lighter and more moderate to slow than my UL Basspara.
Maybe fast and slow, based on your observation. Help someone, been longing for a while, would be info to know.

Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryin » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:00 am

I own 3 JDM rods that are classified XUL- 2 megabass Pagnini (6' and 5'11 xul) and a Major Craft Nextino 6'3"... all are classified XUL. I also own a St. Croix 2wt fly rod blank built as a spinning rod. The St. Croix is the lightest and the hardest to cast, it is easy to get tip bounce with it... if I were rating the St. Croix I would rate it- 1/64-1/16 1lb-3lb line.

My Nextino is marked XUL and is rated .5g-2g lure and 1-3lb line Model # NTA-632xul there is a rod on ebay right now that is model # NTA-632sul and is rated .8g-3g lures and 1-3lb line... in this case it looks like the sul model is not rated as light, lure wise...

From everything I have seen, XUL is the lighter of the two designations.