Looking for new spinning reel.

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Looking for new spinning reel.

Post by NorCoMike » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:37 am

Hey guys looking for a new spinning reel for a rod I will be building soon. Looking for something a little higher end. Right now im fishing with a stradic ci4+, diawa tournament 700 ss, pflueger president, and a symetre 1000. So far the cardiff c2000 and the 14 diawa presso is what im looking at. Anyone have any other models to look into? It is mostly used for panfishing and trout fishing throwing 1/32 to 1/16oz jigs with plastic or ones i have tied.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Looking for new spinning reel.

Post by ss30378 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:47 am

Both good options, also the Luvias is a good lightweight option from Daiwa that's a good price and the certate's are awesome, the Shimano twin power and vanquish are awesome reels. Really depends on what you wanna spend...

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:27 pm

Perhaps your Ci4+ is already the small 1000FAML size?

If not, at 5.8 ozs. and using it to target panfish and matching it up with your custom rod, it would be hard to beat.

Too, I wonder if giving some of the incredibly tiny Sufix Nanobraid a go would really make for a great way to deliver the tiniest jigs.

Brad

NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorCoMike » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:56 pm

My ci4+ is the 1000 size and it has been flawless with no issues. I spool it with nanofil usually but just tried gliss yesterday and i think i will be staying with the gliss!

Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryin » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:47 am

The Cardiff is a great reel but I would look for Shimano Twinpower (JDM)... got one and love it...

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:13 am

Brad in Texas wrote:Perhaps your Ci4+ is already the small 1000FAML size?

If not, at 5.8 ozs. and using it to target panfish and matching it up with your custom rod, it would be hard to beat.

Too, I wonder if giving some of the incredibly tiny Sufix Nanobraid a go would really make for a great way to deliver the tiniest jigs.

Brad
Better yet, a mono leader on that Nanobraid of D.A.M. Tectan in either 2.3 lb (.004") or 3.3 lb (.005") would really make those jigs dance. This was my first full season using the Tectan, I'm sold on it.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:00 am

Shimano Nasci 500 HG, is a killer UL reel. I'm running 2 of them along with a Stradic CI4 1000 and a Soare 1000 PGSS

NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorCoMike » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:34 pm

Well ended up ordering a certate in 2004 size. I like my reels with a little weight haha.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:42 am

jigmaster5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigmaster5 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:32 pm

by now you've probably already picked out a new reel....but i'll add my 2 cents anyway.

I picked up a new Pflueger Supreme XT 25 over the holidays. 6 oz weight which is light for the line capacity. nice reel. good drag. they improved the line winding with a slow oscillation gearing. i would say it's still not as good as shimano, but much better than before. less hourglass effect and more flat + even line lay. if you liked the president, this is a few steps up.

i haven't tried the new Shimano FK 1000, but that was on my list, too. every year, shimano puts more plastic in the reels and raises the price which bugs me. a plastic gear on a $200 reel? c'mon! not to mention the plastic bushings everywhere. they are also using a lower grade felt in the drag which breaks down faster. some guys fishing in SW have the drags lasting literally a few hours before it's toast. (don't believe me, google it and look for images). now does it really matter on an UL reel where you're generally catching small fish and not small tuna? no, it doesn't matter at all. it still bugs me. FW reviews have generally been positive. my plan is to wait until the new FL (or whatever letter they chose for next gen), buy the FK on sale, check it out for myself and upgrade the heck out of it. i'm still fishing my FH's and FI's - can't kill them.

out of curiosity, what did you end up getting??
[edit: just noticed the certate. nice choice!]

NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorCoMike » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:09 am

Yea got the certate. Unfortunately everything here in Colorado is frozen but finally getting some warm weather. Hoping it will open something up so i can go give it a try.

Gloomis34
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Gloomis34 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:06 pm

the new stradic is a great reel if the idle gear in the 1000 size is plastic thats not a big issue i been using mine for awhile now with no issues its very solid. for the money you can't beat it i would give it a try or wait until cast the new stradic ci4+ maybe realized or something different may come out also.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:05 pm

Modern reels, like most consumer items, are a cross between tupperware and automobiles...rather short term use before you toss them and frequent appearance design changes to appeal to those that chase the latest style. You also have a desire to keep a certain price point which generally means using progressively cheaper materials, with part manufacture and assembly also requiring less labor time per unit.

However, balancing the above would be new materials that are superior in misc ways to traditional materials, good engineering and a desire to not have the consumer decide that he/she is paying too much for what they are getting.

For example, Teflon bushings may horrify many here, but they are very cheap and prevent issues that arise from the lack of maintenance which bearings require...those desiring to replace them with bearings can always do so.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:28 am

Smead wrote:Modern reels, like most consumer items, are a cross between tupperware and automobiles...rather short term use before you toss them and frequent appearance design changes to appeal to those that chase the latest style. You also have a desire to keep a certain price point which generally means using progressively cheaper materials, with part manufacture and assembly also requiring less labor time per unit.

However, balancing the above would be new materials that are superior in misc ways to traditional materials, good engineering and a desire to not have the consumer decide that he/she is paying too much for what they are getting.

For example, Teflon bushings may horrify many here, but they are very cheap and prevent issues that arise from the lack of maintenance which bearings require...those desiring to replace them with bearings can always do so.
That pretty much sums it up. We tackle enthusiasts represent probably one of the smallest segments of the fishing community. Now factor in the percentage among that already small demographic that actually pays attention to the inner workings of things.