basspara vs presso

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
rabbit91476
Angler
Angler

basspara vs presso

Post by rabbit91476 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:03 am

Got a 80$ american express card burning a whole in my pocket. What would be you choice to go with my shimano sahara 1000 with 4lb fluro. For all purpose trout and crappie rod. I have a old 6 6 diawa travel rod. But i want a new rod and will use the one i have for back up.

Thanks
RABBIT

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: basspara vs presso

Post by earthworm77 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:13 am

I like Major Craft rods a lot. I have a Basspara BPS662 UL and I love it. I got the whole thing shipped from Japan for 80.00. I have it matched up with a Symetre 750 and usually use 4lb line on it. It excels at most of my ul applications. I also have a Sol Para 632 SUL and a Corkish CKS652. The SUL is really really light. The Corkish has become one of my favorite rods. I use a Soare 1000 with 5 or 6lb fluoro and fish wacky rigs on it. I got the Corkish for under 100.00 as well.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:37 am

The Presso is a decent rod. It lacks the refinement of it's JDM namesake, but for well under $100 it's a fine option. I got mine some years back and fished it for a season or two, then retired it in favor of a Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner. Another thread here got me to pull the Presso back out and take another look at it. I'm gonna give it another go round. Performance wise it's perfectly fine, like I said it just doesn't have that JDM level of fit and finish.

Can't help you with the Basspara, the only MC rod I currently own is a Volkey, but it's an incredibly well made rod. The current exchange rate between the Yen and the dollar = a good time to buy JDM gear

Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:58 pm

I would go with the JDM stuff... shop around on Ebay and you will find a rod that perfectly meets your needs... takes some time and effort but well worth it. I have owned a few G Loomis TSR (a couple of GLX models, still have and fish one of them) but I think the JDM blows them away. I have 2 Megabass trout rods, two Diawa Ajing rods and Tict on order... I would take any of them over any US rod any day of the week. (except for a custom XUL spin rod I have).

jigmaster5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigmaster5 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:05 am

can't comment on the JDM stuff, but the Presso is a great mid-line rod - especially for the $. I've got a 7' 4-piece pack rod and recently picked up a 7' 2-piece rod. The minima guides are fine - maybe a little loud depending on your choice of line. (i'd recommend some kind of thin, slick superline....nanofil, gliss, etc and a leader). Many UL rods have tiny, tiny running guides especially near the tip which I dislike as I feel that they limit my casting distance. The Presso has nicely sized guides + a good guide layout. I like the split grip + reel seat. Rod action is mod-fast. Compared to something like a Daiwa Spinmatic, the blank is much faster. Casts very well. Very sensitive. 1 minor complaint is the hook hanger is open & can occasionally catch an errant loop of line. It's not big deal, you just have to watch for it. Overall, two thumbs up!

it's my 2nd favorite rod next to 1 that I built on a Mudhole MHX 7' UL blank with much better guides (and a better hook hanger!). :D

lvang24
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lvang24 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:25 pm

for the price of teh basspara right now...basspara all the way