BPS Micro Lite Float "N Fly

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

BPS Micro Lite Float "N Fly

Post by Big-Bass » Sun May 29, 2016 11:35 pm

How would the ML 8' Bass Pro Micro Lite Float 'N Fly rod be for throwing spoons and spinners at the Delaware River and other rivers here in Eastern PA for larger trout? I would probably use 4 or 6lb. test (most likely 6) with baits up to 1/4oz. or only very rarely slightly heavier. Usually they would be between 1/8 and 1/4oz. Any experience with this rod? I already have a 6'6" Okuma Celilo UL which is I love and a 6' Quantum Teton Trout L that is great too but I want something longer and possibly for bigger fish. Tried the longer Celilo rods but they seemed to stiff. Looked into the Presso series but don't know enough about them. Thanks for the info and responses!

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: BPS Micro Lite Float "N Fly

Post by Smead » Mon May 30, 2016 9:49 pm

That Float and Fly seems to be meant for a specific technique. Using a Google search had a number of user reviews pop up...especially on the Bass Resource website.

Pressos top out at 1/4 oz. throw weights and 6# line...though that may work out for you.

I'd probably go with the Procyon if you might run into largish fish. You may be able to find either one locally to try out before buying. ML will be stiffer if you are used to UL rods. Daiwa graphite also does seem to stiffer and with a faster tip. One point to consider is that they are all 1 piece rods.

Daiwa Procyon

http://www.daiwaweb.com/us/contents/rod ... index.html

Non Auction list...ballpark price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-Procyon-S ... SwZJlXM4Cw

I have a St Croix Avid 7' ML and I bought it for what you are doing...but that is somewhat of a chunk of change to drop.

The St Croix Premier equivalent is less costly.

The St Croix's are available in 2 piece rods.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:32 am

I was able to pick up an 8' BPS ML Microlite Float N Fly rod and while I have not casted it yet, it is a really nice rod. It has a nice short handle and the rod is very light. Guides are nice and the blank is also a nice gunmetal/slate blue/grey color. Pairing it with a 2000-3000 sized reel and 6-8lb. test and this should be a really nice kayak or wading rod for the Delaware. It's rated for 1/16 - 3/8oz. and while I am sure it is designed for Float N Fly techniques, I think it may be a rather useful all around rod. Trout, smallmouth, and shad on the Delaware with spoons, spinners, darts, and small cranks will hopefully be fun with this rod.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:06 pm

I had one of these rods. It was really good for the F+F, I think you will find it is too soft and clunky for throwing spinners and spoons effectively. I mean you can do it, but it is not the best option.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:34 am

I ended up sending it back after casting it. Didn't fit the intended use. It was a nice rod but just not what I needed at the time.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:10 am

I just recently spent a few hours at BPS checking out their UL offerings , including the Microlights, the Bionic Blade ( a 5'6" ) , and their Carbonlight , Also a 5'6" rod that's supposed to be a super light weight rod. I was disappointed in the whole lot . They all seemed heavy to me . The Microlights seemed tip heavy .
I guess I've been spoiled by my St Croix and Daiwa UL's . Gillchaser