Yo Zuri Ultra Soft?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Yo Zuri Ultra Soft?

Post by jtgibso1 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:27 am

Anyone use yo zuri ultra soft on their ultralight setup? i'm putting together a "beefy" ultralight setup and thought the 4lb ultra soft might be a good option for me. if it has a higher breaking strength like the regular hybrid line i should be more than set for my intentions. i'd like the setup to pull multi duty as a trout/panfish rod (rod is rated 1/16-1/4 and the reel is a pflueger patriarch 9530. Will toss inline spinners, small cranks, small jigs, small grubs on jig heads and maybe trout doughs.
just wondering if anybody has any experience with this lb test/line as it might apply to my intended uses?
Thanks!

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Yo Zuri Ultra Soft?

Post by earthworm77 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:53 pm

If it is anything like the original Ultra Soft from about 10yrs ago, it is totally different than the standard Hybrid. I didn't care for it back then despite loving thin lines like Berkley Ultrathin, Dupont Magnathin and Tectan. It certain didn't over test like
Hybrid did, in fact it likely was a true breaking strength line. 4lb broke around 4lb. However, this is allegedly new so I don't know if my assessment of the old stuff applies.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:07 am

I have a spool of Ultra Soft in 4 lb. test that I bought at least a decade ago. When I got it, I tested and micrometered it: 8.4 lbs. average dry break strength, .0097" (which is toward the thick end of the diameter range of 6 lb. test lines). It was also milky in color and stretchy. I've never put it on a reel.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:21 am

I do believe they changed the line a few times back when they introduced it.

Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryin » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:25 pm

.0097 for "4lb test" ??? I guess they figure they can put whatever test they want on line... actual 4lb line should test out at .006 or .007. IMHO, .0097 is NOT UL.

jigmaster5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigmaster5 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:47 pm

i don't think they make ultra soft anymore? it's listed on Amazon at outrageous prices, but not on the Yo Zuri website. they still make regular hybrid and a new line called Top Knot that I haven't tried.

i fished it briefly for schoolie stripers when it first came out. i thought it was fine, but nothing all that special. shortly after, i switched to braided lines.

give it a try. if it breaks easily or tangles up on you, then try out some newer lines. i'm fishing mostly braided lines now with a modified albright to a fluoro leader. nanofil is what i use most often. i really want to like gliss but it's just so delicate i can't fish it anymore. i prefer even the old fireline and fireline crystal to mono. still need to try the new Suffix Nanobraid. the only time I fish mono anymore is for fussy trout.....straight 2 lb Maxima Ultragreen on a Shimano Symetre FJ500.