Topwater?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Topwater?

Post by LowRange » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:05 am

I've recently got into BFS and UL fishing I have found that I really enjoy fishing the Teeny Wee Pop R for mixture of bass and gills. What other 1/16-1/8 ounce range topwater baits are recommended?

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Topwater?

Post by waterone » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:56 am

LowRange,

I think the Pop-R is the solid choice, but I remove the trebles and replace the rear hook with a sharpened double hook, it makes it easier to unhook fish. on the middle hook hanger, I've usually take some fine lead wire as used in fly-tying and wrap the loop with the same weight as the hook that was removed.

In my boxes, I have multiple Zara Puppy's and Zara Pooch. There are several stick baits of similar size and weight, too. There are Arbogast Hula Poppers, both the old ones and the slightly smaller old ones. The real problem is getting the proper sized skirts. For poppers, one of the best is the apparently discontinued Tiny Tips, where to pick one up, you'll be battling on-line with Russians who seem to have an affinity for this particular lure :?:

Real effective but I won't use anymore are the old Creek Chub Injured Minnow in 1/8 size. Not a real good hooker, but boy did it bring up fish. Other effective, discontinued Creek Chub lures with the 1/8 size plunker and the Darter (which weighed less than 1/8 oz.

I had some success fishing Florida canals fishing a Gudebrod 1/8 oz. topwater, but I think they've been discontinued as well.

Unfortunately, it seems as if there just aren't that many small topwaters being marketed today, and that's a shame.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:57 am

Thanks for the info. I'll expand my collection of UDM baits and look into imported baits.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:59 am

Heddon Teeny Torpedo.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:12 pm

Rapala F-3 . Cast , twitch , set hook . Also the Rebel Creekhopper Popper .Gillchaser

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:17 pm

Forgot about the Teeny Torepedo, I guess because I'm the only smallmouth bass fisherman who has never caught a fish on a Tiny if Teent Torepedo. Had someone cast to the exact spot where I'd been fishing and catch fish - multiple times.

Really any lipped High floating minnow lure can be used as a surface lure, twitching or if you get the technique down, making it act like a popper..

Wish there were more UL topwaters out there.

southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by southpaw619 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:30 pm

The Poco Poco is a great bait! In fact the entire DUO Tetra Works line is simply amazing!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:01 am

Those DUO baits look amazing. I'm definitely going to nab the Poco Poco poper and Perakko spybait. I'll have to add some Rebel Teeny Wee series baits to my collection as well.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:06 am

These take a little work but make for a subtle "bug like" presentation. I've gotten incredible blowups on these.

Items needed - Small hobby corks, fine wire Aberdeen hooks, electrical shrink tube assortment (Harbor Freight has an assortment kit for $5.00) , small < 3" tube baits.

Use a dremel with a sanding drum or you can use a sharp razor to trim the cork down to eliminate the taper. Carefully slice the cork lengthwise about halfway through. Be careful not to go all of the way through, you want the hook shank to be centered in the cork. Cut a length of shrink tube a little longer than the cork. Slip it over the cork, center it and heat it to shrink it. The heat shrink seals and protects the cork from flaking when stretching the bait over it and also adds a bit of extra weight which helps in casting. I seal the exposed ends of the cork with epoxy, but it's not really necessary. Now work the tube over the cork and pop the hook eye out the front and you're set. They don't make a big fuss or racket like a popper, but they will get bit when the fish are actively feeding.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:59 am

uljersey,

Thanks for the clear instructions and photos! Should be a fun project.