My first UL Baitcaster fish

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

My first UL Baitcaster fish

Post by gillchaser » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:48 am

Weather warmed up to 44 today , it was sunny with a light wind so I had about an hour before the temps started dropping and the sun would be too low to make a difference.
So I grabbed my newly assembled UL Baitcasting outfit and took off to the town pond .
I didn't expect to catch anything , I mainly wanted to try out the rig with a couple different baits and see how it would cast .
With a Beetlespin wire and a 1/16th black jighead dressed with a 2" Zoom Chartreuse curlytail I was able to cast 50-75 feet . Average was about 20 yards . If my timing were right on, it would zing out to about 75' . I found a cast angle about halfway between three and twelve o'clock sidearm worked the best .
After trying a couple plastic worms , mostly wacky style , weightless , I decided I'd probably benefit using a jighead to add a little weight to the plastics , which I do regularly with spinning tackle . I tried just a 1/16 jig with a 2" curlytail and was unable to cast very far , maybe 25' .
I ended up back with the Beetlespin and was practicing my casting , fan casting a backwater area when I felt a slight tap and the lure stopped . I made a sweep with the little Rod and it bent up to the handle . Sweet ! I'd like to say it fought hard, but the cold water has the fish sluggish. I coaxed it over to shore and slid it up on the bank where I could reach it .
One of the best things about fishing the baitcaster was how smooth the retreive was .
Spinnerbait fishing for LM's used to be one of my favorite ways to catch bass , but it got to where it would wear me out and I wouldn't last very long . Downsizing, I think I can add it back in to how I fish .
Gillchaser

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: My first UL Baitcaster fish

Post by Jrob » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:26 am

Congrats! Your experience will be that much more enjoyable if you ever have a chance to get a BFS specific reel, or parts making your reel more BFS specific. Lures down to 1.5-2g become an option. Good times. I'm sure you'll have more pictures soon!

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:37 pm

First of many!
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:45 pm

Does anyone know if the Lexa 100 spool has the same dimensions as any of the Tatula spools? If so, you should absolutely upgrade that reel to a DIY spool. You would probably be able to cast 1/16 oz jigs with trailer pretty easily.

DaveJ

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:28 am

Congrats! You are headed down a long expensive road just so you know! But well worth it!. One of the perks on getting a true bfs specific reel besides just being able to cast lightweights is many of them are very lightweight themselves. One of my complete combos is 7.5oz when just the lexa reel you have is listed at 8.2oz. Get down to these featherweights and the sensitivity you have is quite amazing.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:21 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:Does anyone know if the Lexa 100 spool has the same dimensions as any of the Tatula spools? If so, you should absolutely upgrade that reel to a DIY spool. You would probably be able to cast 1/16 oz jigs with trailer pretty easily.

DaveJ
No they're different. There is an SV like spool for the Lexa 100/Exceller EXE from Dream Fishing but I think they went out of business. If I remember correctly the Lexa spool was $100-$150. Your better off just buying a Tatula CT and DIY spool. As a dirt cheap option there is a DIY out for the Abu Black Max 3. Reel and spool will run you $80 but the reel will be plastic and the spool will be linear mag braking unlike the Air brake on the Daiwa DIY spools. Tat CT + DIY is the best budget NIB BFS reel out there IMHO. You're getting a lot of reel for $135 or less.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdreamfishing.html

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:24 am

LowRange wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:Does anyone know if the Lexa 100 spool has the same dimensions as any of the Tatula spools? If so, you should absolutely upgrade that reel to a DIY spool. You would probably be able to cast 1/16 oz jigs with trailer pretty easily.

DaveJ
No they're different. There is an SV like spool for the Lexa 100/Exceller EXE from Dream Fishing but I think they went out of business. If I remember correctly the Lexa spool was $100-$150. Your better off just buying a Tatula CT and DIY spool. As a dirt cheap option there is a DIY out for the Abu Black Max 3. Reel and spool will run you $80 but the reel will be plastic and the spool will be linear mag braking unlike the Air brake on the Daiwa DIY spools. Tat CT + DIY is the best budget NIB BFS reel out there IMHO. You're getting a lot of reel for $135 or less.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdreamfishing.html
Thanks for clarifying. A used Pixy/Alphas/TDZ with the DIY spools are another option. If anyone has a right-handed Pixy in good working order (paint can be poor) they want to part with let me know.

DaveJ

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:46 am

Weather was warm today , close to 70 , but cloudy . What a contrast to Mondays 40's .
I got to fish a couple hours at the town pond . Caught a small 10" LM on a Beetlespin with a 1/16 jighead and a 2" curlytail on my second cast . Thought I was in for a busy day of catching . It was an hour later before I caught my second on a Strike King Pond magic 3/16 spinnerbait with a 3" curlytail . This bait is not that much bigger than the Beetlespin bait , but was a lot easier to cast , especially with the swirling wind I had to deal with today .
About 5:30 just before leaving I tied on a 1/16 jig with a 3" Senko style worm , wacky style , just to see if I was able to cast it any better than weightless like I tried the other day . Worked great . About my 3rd or 4th cast I hooked into my third bass of the evening . This was the largest , around 13-14" and put up a good fight trying to get into an old bridge piling, but I was able to turn it with the 6 pound Pline . I don't think I could have with the 4# I usually fish with my spinning tackle . Fun afternoon . Gillchaser

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:19 am

Here is some info I found for upgrading the Lexa spool.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... ol#p542770