Need some advice/info about BFS reel.

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Need some advice/info about BFS reel.

Post by waterone » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:28 am

I have several BFS reels and my one of my real favorites is actually a heavily customized and well-known (to me) Ambassadeur 1500cIAR. As this reel was customized by Ulf Tingstrom himself, and is a wonder to cast and use, but I'd really hate to loose, another reel or two would be in order.

I have a Morrum that I'd like to see if I could get BFS worthy, an old SX 1600C Hi-SP which does a credible job down to 4-5 grams. I was hoping that there was still an Avail spool available for the reel, but this spool seems to be a bit hard to find.

As I really like round reels (must be 40 years of use), are there some of the newer Morrums that would be candidates for BFS reels? Something that would readily and consistently cast 1.5 to 2 grams, assuming the use of an appropriate rod?

Thanks

Waterone
Chuck

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need some advice/info about BFS reel.

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:37 am

I know it is not a Morrum but, Shimano has a new Conquest coming out in Japan specifically for BFS. Just search on this forum for 2017 Shimano Conquest BFS.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:39 am

Here is a link to the reel on Japan Tackle:

http://japantackle.com/casting-reels/sh ... 00212.html
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:16 am

I've had Conquests and Calcuttas, customized them, their juqst not my thing.

It seems to me I could usually cast better with my Abus.

Not I do like the low profile reels, but in the low profiles, I tend to prefer Daiwas.

Chuck

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:42 pm

Ryoga 1016/LIN10 have sv and DIY bfs spools compatiblity. Is that an option?

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:26 pm

Yes it would. I've bought some items through the website(s) that carry the DYI spools, but it takes a bit of time to get here.

Actually, even though I really prefer buying items made in the US, the realization that most of the tackle sold in the US is made in .China; even that sold by largest and most regarded (advertised) of American tackle companies.

I've never handled the Ryoga, have heard from friends in Japan in Asia that the reels are quite well made. However, I was under the impression that the Ryoga was a larger reel, more equivalent to the Ambassadeur 5000/6000 size reels.

I guess that leaves me back with the Daiwa and Shimano BFS reels, although I've not held one of the JDM Abu Garcia reels such as the Revo ALS BFS 7 reels.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:19 am

My belief is that any of the newer BFS specific reels come with super light spools necessary to cast light baits. If it is not BFS specific, it likely has a heavier spool and will likely be less efficient at casting miniscule weight baits.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:41 am

waterone wrote:Yes it would. I've bought some items through the website(s) that carry the DYI spools, but it takes a bit of time to get here.

Actually, even though I really prefer buying items made in the US, the realization that most of the tackle sold in the US is made in .China; even that sold by largest and most regarded (advertised) of American tackle companies.

I've never handled the Ryoga, have heard from friends in Japan in Asia that the reels are quite well made. However, I was under the impression that the Ryoga was a larger reel, more equivalent to the Ambassadeur 5000/6000 size reels.

I guess that leaves me back with the Daiwa and Shimano BFS reels, although I've not held one of the JDM Abu Garcia reels such as the Revo ALS BFS 7 reels.
If you're after a small round reel, there is the luna 103. An IS bfs or DIY bfs spool would work well.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:41 am

Is there a BFS capable spool for the Ryoga 1016? If this is a stupid question please be kind. Other than change out some handles I have never modified a reel. I also have a older Calcutta Conquest 51 is one available for that? The next question is where?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

IlliniDawg01

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:43 am

timinmo wrote:Is there a BFS capable spool for the Ryoga 1016? If this is a stupid question please be kind. Other than change out some handles I have never modified a reel. I also have a older Calcutta Conquest 51 is one available for that? The next question is where?
Yup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bait-Finesse-BF ... 6wfQQCgiDg

They can be find for even cheaper on AliExpress

DaveJ

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:44 pm

This thread got my gears turning. After a bit of research there are aval bfs spools for abu 4600 and 1000 reels. They run about $105.

shu-bfs
Angler
Angler

Post by shu-bfs » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:13 pm

Just finished a custom Abu 1500c. I was able to easily cast down to 3g with 4# FC. Love these reels :)
Currently working on a 2500c and a Pro Rocket 4500cs

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:54 pm

Since the post, and reading all the suggestions, I decided to purchase a new finesse spool for the Morrum, also a couple finesse spools for an old Orange Daiwa Pixy (it feels odd to call a reel less than 15 years "old," maybe a better descriptive word is 1st. Generation Pixy) and recently picked up a new Abu Garcia AlC-BF-7.

I haven't fished the BF-7 yet, but so far the customized 1500cIAR still is the champ, but you do need to thumb it down to 3.5 gram lures, unless your casting something like one of the tiny, balsa top-water, something smaller than the old Rapala F-5.

We'll see if I can come up with a replacement for my custom 1500CIAR.

A parallel track is now looking for good to great ultralight baitcasting rods, luckily termed BFS rods, without spending a ton of money. So far I've found several rods that perform pretty well for under $200.00 but that's still pretty expensive (that's list price),
Then again list prices are pretty funny, when I can see an Ugly Stick Elite rod that lists for $79.00 on sale in a sporting goods store for under $30.00.

BTW, I tend to find Ugly Stick rods to be too whippy for my casting style, but YMMV.

Waterone

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:40 am

shu-bfs wrote:Just finished a custom Abu 1500c. I was able to easily cast down to 3g with 4# FC. Love these reels :)
Currently working on a 2500c and a Pro Rocket 4500cs

THAT is sweet. Nice.
This is the way.

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:28 am

Shu-bfs and poisonokie:

As I said, I picked up one of the new Abu Garcia BF7, and I picked up a new Daiwa Alphas Air.

So far the the AB BF7 is better than my Daiwas, and it's much lighter in weight.

Still, I love my round Abu 1500CIAR, and as it's configured, this 1970's tech will cast just as well as the 2017 model reels.

There is one considerable difference - the 1500CIAR has a chrome plated brass frame, and weighs over four times the weight of the BF7!

I know I could find one of the aluminum frame to install as a replacement for the brass frame, but so far I'm keeping the reel as UT Reels set it up.

I also have two special custom 2500C IAR reels that are my "heavy" finesse and UL Surf reels. They are nice. but be careful casting two heavy a lure while surf casting - on a powerful rod, with something like a 4 oz. lure, you can cast all 200 yards of line off the reel! Usually the heaviest lure I have cast on my UL Surf reels is a lure just under 2 oz.

waterone.