reel problems

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
spinfisher
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

reel problems

Post by spinfisher » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:02 am

Hi all... new member here.. lurking for a month or so. Just started trout fishing in October and love it. Except for the reel problems I've been having. :? I bought a Shimano Sedona 500FD a couple months ago and on the first or second time out it started to feel like it was sticking/binding... the handle felt stuck. I set it down and fished another as I always take two. Later I picked it up and turned off the anti reverse and worked the reel back and forth. It seemed fine.

I recently purchased a Sahara and I am having the same type issue. It will get stuck and feels gritty when retrieving.

Odd thing is.. it only happens when fishing it. It either doesn't like the little bit of water that splashes off the line or the pressure of reeling it in. I can sit here in the house and spin it all day and no binding or gritty feeling.

Anyone know what the problem is?

spinfisher
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: reel problems

Post by spinfisher » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:18 am

btw.. the Sahara is a 1000FE. Both problems occurred within the first couple of uses.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:29 am

This has been an off and on again problem with some Shimanos for a while. The bushings in the reels can swell when wet. Some do it and others do not. This problem earned the Sahara reel the name "Shibindo". I don't really have an answer for you. As one who fishes many days a week I know that issue can be frustrating. You could replace the bushings with bearings but that is not cost worthy on those two models. Are they new reels? Shimano was to have corrected this problem but I guess it is still there.

Regards

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:47 am

Hello and welcome!!

These reels are a bit different regarding internal gearing.

I do note that the newer Shimano reels seem to have a number of reported sticking and binding issues lately...under the circumstances you describe.

The Sedona 500FD is an older and seemingly essentially trouble free design. The only design related issue on that reel design family was the friction ring on some of the more expensive models; the Sedona 500FD doesn't have it. The Sienna, Sedona, Sahara 500FD reels and the Symetre 500FJ were essentially all of the same design with more features on the more expensive reels.

For the Sedona, if it is used, it might need a strip down and clean...perhaps with replacement of bearings. Or you could just buy a Sienna 500FD and swap the line roller parts with those from your Sedona FD.

As the Sahara 1000FE was probably bought new, I'd just try to return it if you are able to. You could strip, clean and remove it's friction ring also; but if returnable I wouldn't bother.

spinfisher
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by spinfisher » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:51 am

Thanks for the reply.. They were new when I bought them.. If that's what you are asking? And the issue occurred within the first couple of uses.

I'm not sure it's a water issue tho.. tonight I held it under my faucet getting it more wet than I would fishing and have been spinning and spinning... no binding or grittiness. I don't get it...

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:07 am

I would think that plastic swelling would be due to high humidity...you might not be able to get that with a wash off.

As was said with the FE reels, this was a known issue.

The Sedona 500FD shouldn't have had these problems...maybe the reel you bought was in a truck wreck. I'm only half joking, I bought a reel in a clam pack once that had some force applied to it. Once out of the clamshell, you could see that the bail arm had been hit so hard it marked the rotor...the axle shaft was bent too.

Given that the Sedona 500FD's have not been produced for years, you may have just got a holdover lemon.

Maybe have someone hold on to a length of line while you try to reel under the light tension of them holding it...if you have the same problem, I'd bet there was something wrong inside....loose, missing and/or damaged.

spinfisher
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by spinfisher » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:10 am

Hi Smead.. Thanks for the welcome! I'm going to attempt to return the Sahara tomorrow. I'm about a week beyond 30 days. Hopefully BassPro will take it back. I'm sooooo disappointed as I really like how smooth this real is.. when not fishing it.. lol It was a sweet deal too @ $40 bucks on closeout in Alaska when I was visiting my son. I bought a 2500 too but haven't fished it yet. Not sure if I should return it too...

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:28 am

Maybe take both the FE's back and see if you can get a store credit if they won't return your money...though it seems like all the current Shimanos under 100 bucks have either binding issues or bad ergonomics for most people.

Maybe you could get a Nasci in exchange for both reels. A Daiwa in the same ballpark price range would be a Legalis or Exceler.

Sample prices:

Daiwa:

https://www.fishusa.com/Spinning-Reels#Brand=Daiwa

Shimano

https://www.fishusa.com/Spinning-Reels#Brand=Shimano

If you do the experiment with the Sedona 500FD, let me know the results.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:33 am

Sorry about your troubles, spin. The shop will take care of you I'm sure, at a minimum store credit towards another item I imagine. Ideally you'll be able to replicate problem in hand, sounds as if that may not happen, hence credit scenario outlined above. Don't sweat it.

No sales pitch here, but cold truth is we typically get what we pay for. Best technique in the world is useless if equipment fails so consider taking opportunity to upgrade if possible. Odds are good you'll be happy you did. Best wishes.
PEACE

spinfisher
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by spinfisher » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:02 pm

Thanks for the comments - suggestions guys. I doubt I will be able to duplicate the problem without actually fishing it. I have been spinning it and watering it down for a couple of hours now. I even tied off the line and loosened up the drag.. but all that did was create a bunch of line twist.. oh well. I will gladly take a store credit and would also pay more money for something better... as I am addicted to ultralight/trout fishing! And as for "we get what we pay for"... you'd think $80-90 would be a fair price to pay for something decent. :roll:

Should I start a new thread for suggestions on a new real or keep it going here?

jigmaster5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigmaster5 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:41 pm

agree with the above posters who suggested taking them back. i've had the same issue with other shimano's and returned them. it's not worth trying to figure out an intermittent problem on a brand new reel.

1 of my favorite reels for trout fishing that's still available for sale is the Pflueger Supreme 25. It's got a 1000 size body, but it only weighs 6.6 oz. line winding isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. you might need to pilfer some spool shims from another reel to get the line lay perfect when you 1st spool up. that part might take a couple tries. after the initial start-up, it's a great reel for trout fishing. smooth (much smoother than president or president xt), casts further than a 500-size spool, light-weight, great drag. the new ones have a slower gear oscillation which improves line lay over the previous models.

if you want to go old school, the Daiwa SS700 is hard to beat. weighs 7 oz. excellent distance and drag, but sloppy anti-reverse. worm gear oscillation gives perfect 5-degree cross wraps. i forget where they make them now (thailand?). if you can find an older one made in Japan - that would be my preference. the reel design hasn't changed in 30+(?) years. i love mine and i've fished it hard for the past 30 years and it's still in good condition. i primarily use mine for casting spoons directly into the wind on 4 lb test for trout.

if you can find a symetre 500fj on ebay or something that would be my 3rd choice. i use that 1 with straight 2 lb maxima ultragreen mono for fussy trout & tiny plastics on jigheads.

good luck with the trout! :D

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:03 pm

If you pop the spools off both reels you can see the friction ring. If it is black, it is the older one that they had problems with that swells when wet/damp. You can replace it with the newer blue one that does not have this same issue.

spinfisher
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by spinfisher » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:41 am

Well.. just got back from BPS and no problem returning. Didn't realize there was a 60 day return policy. :D

I went back to look at reels and I think I'm leaning toward the stradic.. maybe 2 of them. One CI4 and an FK. The CI4 would go on a 5'6" Shimano Magnumlite that I just picked up at a local swap shop for $15 (never fished). So far I love this rod.. tho it is a little more bendy than I am accustomed to.. but super light with great casting distance. I have 3 other ultralight rods, a 5'6" St Croix Triumph pack rod, a 6'6 Daiwa Spinmatic pack rod (maybe FK for this one) and a 5'6" Browning Air Stream.

I looked at the Pfluegers.. the President 6920, the XT and the Supreme. I liked the Supreme best and then the 6920. Didn't care for the XT. The Pfluegers will not work well for the trout fishing as I need a faster retrieve. But I may pick one or both up for other species to fish.

Thanks for the replies... looks like a great place to hang out!

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:09 pm

People seem to like the current CI4 FB models better than the FA models and even the regular FK.

spinfisher
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by spinfisher » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:09 am

I played with the CI4 and the FK today.. brought rods with me. The FK just felt better and balanced better. CI4 is just so light! I ended up walking out with a 1000FK and 2500FK.. taking advantage of the reel trade in. Can't wait to try them out! Thanks!