Suggestions for case to protect one piece rods

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
FK
Angler
Angler

Suggestions for case to protect one piece rods

Post by FK » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:52 pm

I have two Loomis UL rods 6'7" long 1pc. They were shipped in plastic sleeves, no cloth sack or tube.

Need some suggestions on carry case for protection of the delicate tips when transporting the rods.

Regards,
FK

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Suggestions for case to protect one piece rods

Post by Smead » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:29 am

Not many hard case options for 1 piece rods it seems; It would be nice to find a rifle style case, but they aren't long enough for 1 piece rods.

Here's some options:

Plano products:

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Airliner-T ... WKS5VHTQAQ

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Jumbo-Airl ... 000E3E22A/

Maybe someone else knows of a better product.

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:36 am

I use PVC pipe with a fixed cap and screw off cap. Takes a few minutes and some PVC cement.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:41 am

Smead seems to have come up with the better options. The only thing I can add is I've shipped many rods using this pre slit foam pipe insulation around the blanks before final packaging to keep them from rattling around within the shipping container. It's easily available, cheap and virtually weightless.

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:03 am

JB in SC wrote:I use PVC pipe with a fixed cap and screw off cap. Takes a few minutes and some PVC cement.
I agree I do the same thing and I put foam on both caps to give some cushion been on multiple trips to Canada and such never had any issues and its cheap to make.
gone fishin! borderline 11!

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:01 pm

I wonder if a golf shop could cut that bag club tubing to length, then use a rod sock...would take up less space in the case.

FK
Angler
Angler

Post by FK » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:31 pm

I located cloth rod bags up to 7ft long for one pc. spinning rods at Mudhole Tackle.

Several neat ideas for protection above, thanks.

Regards,
FK

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:07 am

I've shipped collector rods all over the US and actually Europe and Japan, using a PVC pive (it doesn't hurt that I've worked in water and sewer utilities for over 30 years), I have a pretty good knowledge of what it would take to damage or destroy the pipe, and by extension, it's contents, so I trust shipping, and or storing my rods in PVC rod cases.

I am also a huge advocate of storing your expensive and/or prized rods in cloth or the rod cases that many manufacturers are shipping their rods in now.

I do like the idea of a preferably thin, closed cell foam lining the interior of the rod cases.

I prefer the caps that slip on the exterior of the pipe to the threaded caps - I can tell you from experience that threaded PVC fitting have a finite life.

If you want to secure the ends without glue, drill through the cap and the pipe, line up the holes and use something like zip-ties to secure the ends.

As I've said before, I've shipped very expensive rods, and other longish items without any damage for years.

Waterone

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nctrucker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:42 pm

somewhere i have seen the use of a piece of an old rod or tube being secured to a couple of guides(maybe taped to rod?) and extending past tiptop an inch or more to prevent the rod tip from being "jammed" into the tube cap. may have been a JDM rod shipment. makes sense to me.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:13 pm

uljersey wrote:Smead seems to have come up with the better options. The only thing I can add is I've shipped many rods using this pre slit foam pipe insulation around the blanks before final packaging to keep them from rattling around within the shipping container. It's easily available, cheap and virtually weightless.

In the warmer months I keep a few rods in my car all the time and have started using a few feet of pipe insulation to protect them. I am as careful as I can be but my wife and friends are getting a little sick if my constant "look out for the tips!" warning every time they enter or leave my car. While I don't think the foam will protect them from a car door, it makes me feel a little better if a bag of groceries or whatever shifts and falls on them.