$100 or less rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: $100 or less rod

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:23 pm

sn95 wrote:After doing some searching here, I started reading on finesse-fishing.com and think I might buy a setup through them. Their website is a marvelous and full of information. I can't afford anything crazy expensive but a Daiwa Iprimi or Gekkabijin maybe something I could do.
Be aware that area trout rods are really a soft action rod. I have the 6' 5" Iprimi area rod in the L action but if one picked that rod up off of a rack in a stateside store one would call it an UL rod. I also have a Major Craft Fine Tail Banshee area 6' 7" rod that is designated L action....even though it is faster than the Iprimi I still call it an ultra light. I can't imagine the action of a trout area XUL rod. I do not own any stream trout rods so can't speak to them......but do own many ajing and mebaru rods. If you are looking for sensitivity you need look no further than ajing rods....with mebaru rods being very close to them in sensitivity but a little softer in action.

Regards

sn95
Angler
Angler

Post by sn95 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:22 am

Alphahawk wrote:
sn95 wrote:After doing some searching here, I started reading on finesse-fishing.com and think I might buy a setup through them. Their website is a marvelous and full of information. I can't afford anything crazy expensive but a Daiwa Iprimi or Gekkabijin maybe something I could do.
Be aware that area trout rods are really a soft action rod. I have the 6' 5" Iprimi area rod in the L action but if one picked that rod up off of a rack in a stateside store one would call it an UL rod. I also have a Major Craft Fine Tail Banshee area 6' 7" rod that is designated L action....even though it is faster than the Iprimi I still call it an ultra light. I can't imagine the action of a trout area XUL rod. I do not own any stream trout rods so can't speak to them......but do own many ajing and mebaru rods. If you are looking for sensitivity you need look no further than ajing rods....with mebaru rods being very close to them in sensitivity but a little softer in action.

Regards
I'm currently leaning towards the ajing/mebaru route just trying to decide on daiwa, major craft, or shimano and then what size reel. Area rods sound like fun but also sound like if I got into a bass around cover it wouldn't end well.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:25 pm

I really like finesse-fishing.com, too, and Chris does a really good job selecting good gear and tackle for anglers.

I wanted to mention that I have a 5 foot St. Croix ultra-light and a 6'9", too. Both have their places, the longer for casting far of course.

For anyone fishing out of a canoe or kayak, I do both, I have found short rods to be great. My favorited non-ultralight is a St. Croix 5'6" moderate power rated 1/4 to 5/8s, so enough range for medium plastics. This rod is soooooo easy to cast and do so accurately while seated. Since kayaks and canoes let us get up close, casting distance is not a high priority.

I like the spinning reel, the 5'6" so much, I ordered the same size and power in a casting rod.

I often catch more bass while targeting panfish than I do if I target bass! I'm up to boating a 4 pounder on the little 5 footer ultralight rod using 2 lbs. Sufix Nanobraid. I love this light braid!

Brad

sn95
Angler
Angler

Post by sn95 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:11 pm

Figured I do one more update on this thread. I've gotten out two more times with this rod and it's sweet spot seems to be 1/16-1/8 ounce. I tried a 1/16 jig with the smallest zoom fluke and that was way too much weight in my opinion. Anything rated at 1/16 seemed good and a 1/32 jig head with a crappie magnet casted just as well. I tried a 1/64oz jig under a thill supreme mini shy bite and as I figured casting distance and accuracy where none existent.

These long ear sunfish where a lot of fun to catch and hit pretty much anything I tried.

This guy smashed a Rapala ultralight popper.

An unexpected but inquisitive guest.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:31 pm

Brad in Texas wrote:I really like finesse-fishing.com, too, and Chris does a really good job selecting good gear and tackle for anglers.

I wanted to mention that I have a 5 foot St. Croix ultra-light and a 6'9", too. Both have their places, the longer for casting far of course.

For anyone fishing out of a canoe or kayak, I do both, I have found short rods to be great. My favorited non-ultralight is a St. Croix 5'6" moderate power rated 1/4 to 5/8s, so enough range for medium plastics. This rod is soooooo easy to cast and do so accurately while seated. Since kayaks and canoes let us get up close, casting distance is not a high priority.

I like the spinning reel, the 5'6" so much, I ordered the same size and power in a casting rod.

I often catch more bass while targeting panfish than I do if I target bass! I'm up to boating a 4 pounder on the little 5 footer ultralight rod using 2 lbs. Sufix Nanobraid. I love this light braid!

Brad
I discovered this to my surprise. I had a 5'6'' M Cherry Wood HD laying around and had a Haibo Smart 50 without a rod and put the two together then went kayaking. The short length really does make a difference when casting in the seated position. Bait placement is so much easier now and I can cast more often by doing it one handed. I need a better 5'6'' rod able to cast down to 3/16 total weight and with more backbone. I can't be caught fishing a Cherry wood.