Jigging blades, great UL option?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Jigging blades, great UL option?

Post by Allsorts » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:18 pm

I work with a local tackle importer (in South Africa) and every year we identify product lines we want to develop and launch. One of the lines we are working with is a small shrimp-style metal vibe rigged with assist hooks. Anyone who is familiar with the Australian bream scene will recognise the lure as a variant/crib on the Ecogear ZX series.

The basic design is Japanese and my recent testing of samples on bass is worth sharing because this style of lure is pretty darn exciting and I think it will be brilliant for bass, panfish etc. The thing I had to get my head around is that you fish it like a jg or grub, not like a vibe. The head design,profile and trailing assist hooks mean that it combines three advantages that very rarely come together, that is a fast-sinking, relatively snagless lure (even in chunk rock!) that hooks fish that just look at it. The hooks (and rubber legs) flutter behind the bait and stay out of trouble but are perfectly positioned to hook even tail nippers. Check out the photos to see the solid hook-ups. Anyway during my last session I got bite after bite and eventually lost the vibe to a bad knot and a 3lb largie. I look forward to trying this lure out on our local bluegill come spring.

It quickly gets to the bottom and then you give it a short twitch, feel the 'vrrr', pause and let it sink to the bottom, then repeat. The water's cold here at the moment so I was using little hops, in summer they'd be a little bigger.

I'll be interested to hear if someone else on here has used them or maybe plans to. The only problem is that they are quite expensive (like most JDM/Australian lures) but worth a try. Will be killer in rivers as they get down quick and orient to the current so they stay down and can be drifted. Really super versatile.

I think that the assist rigging has massive potential for panfish, I also want to put assists and a bit of rubber on a tiny plastic vibe and fish it the same way as the metal vibe.
Attachments
vibe_bass_2-001.jpg
vibe_bass_2-001.jpg (68.62 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
vibe_bass-001.jpg
vibe_bass-001.jpg (36.31 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
production.jpg
production.jpg (33.98 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
packaging.jpg
packaging.jpg (29.19 KiB) Viewed 3541 times

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Jigging blades, great UL option?

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:09 pm

I've used jigging blades on Center Hill Lake in the fall and early winter to catch spotted bass...AKA Kentucky bass....not the JDM blades but very similar in design. They slam it hard....and work best around here in cold weather water. I use the Major Craft Volkey 6' 8" SFS rod and it is a ball fishing that way.

Regards

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:35 am

and i thought i was the only one who used assists on blades.to me it's the only way to go

especially with blades with blades on the rear.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:07 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:and i thought i was the only one who used assists on blades.to me it's the only way to go

Great minds hey ScoobyDoo.... ;)

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:48 am

Allsorts wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:and i thought i was the only one who used assists on blades.to me it's the only way to go

Great minds hey ScoobyDoo.... ;)
Couldn't have put it better myself :)