Is BFS and ultralight baitcasting the same?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
-Boris-
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Is BFS and ultralight baitcasting the same?

Post by -Boris- » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi Dominik!

At first: You need a another wife :lol: and than: you need a Aldebaran or Scorpion BFS... \:D/
More pictures: https://www.instagram.com/addicted_to_baitcaster/

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:12 pm

Dominikk85 wrote:Sure I just need a way to buy it without my wife finding out. She already thinks I'm crazy when I buy a 150 buck reel:).
:lol:
Tell her, you're know one really crazy guy,who's buying just a spool for 150 :shock: :mrgreen:

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:11 pm

Just to maybe clarify a bit, UL tackle was almost exclusively an “invention” of post WWII French and Italian anglers and was almost exclusively used not for increased sport, as catching fish with trout he lightest possible tackle, but for fishing for very scarce fishing in what were at the time marginal waters, primarily due to the effects of the recent war. So according to all the people who were contemporary US anglers that I have spoken with, who brought some of the original rods and reels to the US after the war, it was ALL about presentation.

The idea of increased sport was a product really of the 1960’s and was part of the craze developed by Lee Wolff and others to use the lightest possible tackle possible. While a phenomanal fisherman such as Wulff could carry this off, many couldn’t. From people who I knew watched him cast and fish with all sorts of tackle, he was the fishing equivalent of a top-class athlete.

As to the question of if BFS or UL baitcasting are one in the same; yes as I believe Allsorts related is was to be able to present smaller lures to bass in pressured waters with reels, primarily, that had a mechanical advantage over spinning reels.

I correspond with anglers all over the world who choose to use BFS/UL tackle mostly out of preference. Some of them are like me, one who has been called crazy for fishing what used to be described as UL baitcasting until the advent of BFS tackle.

The simple matter of the fact is that the current crop of UL/BFS tackle is so well made, so refined (as compared to, say 20 years ago) that its. Real pleasure to fish.

However, interestingly there is a common question among some international UL anglers - why does Yo Zuri keep on discontinuing some of there best UL lures, such as the Snap Bean and a Russian favorite, the Tiny Tip?