Finding a "Light" BFS rod???

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Finding a "Light" BFS rod???

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:49 am

The Proflex 2 already made it to me!!! Pretty fast shipping, Aliexpress didn't disappoint on this one. Only problem is I ordered the DIY BFS spool before this and it hasn't even left the country of origin yet... I ordered both from a reputable seller that had multitudes of sells already.

So far the rod is a lot like BCSG Fishing on youtube described. Soft solid tip that should load a 1/16 fine, but probably as much if not more backbone that my TFO 6'Light spinning rod (might have equal or even faster backbone compared to my 6'9"ML TFO dropshot casting rod). The guides were straight, I ordered the full cork handle version which looks great, Fuji components are mentioned on the tags, only issue that scares me is the tip seems SOOOOOO fragile. The tip is #2 pencil lead thin almost and the guides are smaller than I imagined. No big deal, just makes me wonder about using braid w/ leader knots. I would hate to accidentally reel a knot through and break a guide or worse the rod tip.

Almost seems 4lb-6lb fluoro might be a better idea, even though I still think I don't use enough leader length for it to matter with UL/L style lures...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:25 am

Solid cabon tips are pretty robust when fished. I had one break in a rod locker jiggling it free from other rods and line but no problems with solid tips when fishing.

southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by southpaw619 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:54 am

DirtyD64 wrote: No big deal, just makes me wonder about using braid w/ leader knots. I would hate to accidentally reel a knot through and break a guide or worse the rod tip.

Almost seems 4lb-6lb fluoro might be a better idea, even though I still think I don't use enough leader length for it to matter with UL/L style lures...
I have a few UL solid tips and never had an issue with leaders up to a true 8 lb test. However with solid tips, I'm always wary of the line wrapping around the guides and high sticking when landing fish. While straight fluoro avoids some of these issues it does make the rod fish a power lighter versus braid which makes the rod fish a power stronger.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:48 am

southpaw619 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote: No big deal, just makes me wonder about using braid w/ leader knots. I would hate to accidentally reel a knot through and break a guide or worse the rod tip.

I have a few UL solid tips and never had an issue with leaders up to a true 8 lb test. However with solid tips, I'm always wary of the line wrapping around the guides and high sticking when landing fish. While straight fluoro avoids some of these issues it does make the rod fish a power lighter versus braid which makes the rod fish a power stronger.
Thanks for the info, I have had that happen numerous times with the Villain 2.0 Abu rods I use. They have good reel seats, moderately light and sensitive, but the guides or the fluoro I use one causes it to wrap around the tip from time to time when first beginning a retrieve after long casting. I hope this BFS rod doesn't do that because that would probably end its life. I assume Sufix 832 8lb with 7lb FC Sniper leader should be fine, will probably just do a test run to see or leave a short leader to be safe. I use that same pound test on most of my spinning setups too, so if I don't like it I could always use it there.
LowRange wrote:Solid cabon tips are pretty robust when fished. I had one break in a rod locker jiggling it free from other rods and line but no problems with solid tips when fishing.
This is interesting because I have already wondered about where to keep the rod on the boat. We fish a big aluminum boat, I cut a yoga mat and added velcro to keep it secured to the boat for laying rods length wise. It works very well to protect guides, but tips hang off and the butts rest on aluminum. The other rods don't seem to hurt each other, but I don't know how this one will fair rattling around or tangling with others' line.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:39 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
southpaw619 wrote:

Thanks for the info, I have had that happen numerous times with the Villain 2.0 Abu rods I use. They have good reel seats, moderately light and sensitive, but the guides or the fluoro I use one causes it to wrap around the tip from time to time when first beginning a retrieve after long casting. I hope this BFS rod doesn't do that because that would probably end its life. I assume Sufix 832 8lb with 7lb FC Sniper leader should be fine, will probably just do a test run to see or leave a short leader to be safe. I use that same pound test on most of my spinning setups too, so if I don't like it I could always use it there.
LowRange wrote:Solid cabon tips are pretty robust when fished. I had one break in a rod locker jiggling it free from other rods and line but no problems with solid tips when fishing.
This is interesting because I have already wondered about where to keep the rod on the boat. We fish a big aluminum boat, I cut a yoga mat and added velcro to keep it secured to the boat for laying rods length wise. It works very well to protect guides, but tips hang off and the butts rest on aluminum. The other rods don't seem to hurt each other, but I don't know how this one will fair rattling around or tangling with others' line.
I stick entirely too many rods in my Javelins tiny rod locker. I was wiggling a tat 610M free and it came out without the tip top guide. Being a solid carbon tip rod it most likely bent at a 90 degree angle and snapped off. That is a unique rod locker scenario. I can't imagine it happen fishing.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:25 pm

Well I am still sitting back waiting to use the Proflex... Made sure to order the rod from a dealer with high sales, but made a mistake and ordered the spool from LT Fishing or something. Normally BFS DIY spools come from West Door Tackle (on Aliexpress) who is very fast. When I check the tracking on the spool it still says arrived at country of origin post office. That was on January 6th and hasn't updated since then...