Finding a "Light" BFS rod???

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Finding a "Light" BFS rod???

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:36 pm

poisonokie wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Gave up and ordered the 6'3"UL 2 piece Proflex 2. Figured at $60 it is worth a shot. Also ordered the newer honey comb style black 1016 BFS spool.

Had some problems with checking out, wouldn't allow me to use Paypal. Had to split up the order in 2 separate transactions then it was good to go. I figure it has something to do with processing payment to multiple URL/electronic banks.

Well in about 3 years I will tell you all how I like BFS fishing, just kidding Aliexpress isn't that slow...

Thanks again for the help everyone.
Here's the type of thing that's in store for you:

I'm probably gonna get a Momo honeycomb spool for my T3, put that back on the Volkey 68L, Put the SV Light back on the MS-X 65ML, Put the SS SV 103HL/Steez SV105 on the new MS-X 610M I'm waiting on. I don't know what I'm gonna do with the shallow SV1000 currently in the T3, maybe put it in the Luna 103 I have on my Tat 771mrb-g, but then I don't know what to do with the RCS 1016 spool that came with the T3. Maybe put it in the Ballistic I use for travel and try that on my topwater rod and put the OG Zillion on my Tat 711mhxb worm/jig rod, and take the Zillion SV on it and put it on the other MS-X I'm waiting on, a 70MH... :-k
Thats my life everyday
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:34 am

I need to better my rods:
Zillion SV TW w/ DIY BFS on 6'3"UL Proflex 2
still waiting, hoping it isn't too soft
SV105 on 6'9"ML TFO
perfect for finesse, dread replacing this one's action
Zillion TWS 9.1 w/ DIY on 6'6"M Avid X
decent vehicle rod, but the tiny guides make leader knots difficult (only rod I use for regular sized topwaters w/ 30lb braid)
Steez A XH on 7'M Villain 2.0
great rod, feel/sensitivity, but worry about the guides; does have Fuji seats though
Zillion SV TW on 7'M Villain 2.0
same as previous
empty on 7'3"MH Lew's Custom Mag Hammer
like the Lew's rods, but they are... lacking. Considered upgrading to better model or just selling
Chronarch MGL on 7'6"MH Villain 2.0
good rod again, but worry about guides and feel the Chronarch's finesse ability is wasted
Tatula Type R (old) on 7'6"MH Lew's Custom Mag Bass
kinda all purpose MH/H rod, not scared to be rough on this one
SS/SV on 7'M Lew's Custom crankbait
works well for cranks, don't use much, fine for mid cranks
Zillion TWS 7.3 on 7'6"MH Lew's Custom crankbait
works well for now, will probably keep until breaks or have extra $ to upgrade

Thinking on my combo's helps me concentrate and pass time at work, you all aren't the only ones who move and adjust stuff. I have some friends who never move rods/reels/line, others who do it worse than I do.

I would really like to get "filler" discounted reels for the 7'M cranking and Villain MH 7'6", would love for my Chronarch and SS/SV to be on more finesse Medium, fast action rods. That is 70% of what I use on my river system so sometimes the stronger rods just feel wasted.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:39 am

So I ordered the spool and Proflex 2 rod from Aliexpress... The spool processed and is already shipping... The rod says still processing and I just haven't gotten a confirmation that it has sent yet. Is this normal? It says 3 days and something left to "process".

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:28 am

DirtyD64 wrote:So I ordered the spool and Proflex 2 rod from Aliexpress... The spool processed and is already shipping... The rod says still processing and I just haven't gotten a confirmation that it has sent yet. Is this normal? It says 3 days and something left to "process".
Normal.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:22 am

LowRange wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:So I ordered the spool and Proflex 2 rod from Aliexpress... The spool processed and is already shipping... The rod says still processing and I just haven't gotten a confirmation that it has sent yet. Is this normal? It says 3 days and something left to "process".
Normal.
Thank you, haven't ever gotten a rod from there. I was also reading some older threads and think it was you that glued the inductor outward on a DIY spool??? Good info there too, might have to try it on mine if results aren't enough as is.

I have also been checking out some more "light" casting rods and checking to see if Major Craft gets any back in stock.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:30 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Normal.
Thank you, haven't ever gotten a rod from there. I was also reading some older threads and think it was you that glued the inductor outward on a DIY spool??? Good info there too, might have to try it on mine if results aren't enough as is.

I have also been checking out some more "light" casting rods and checking to see if Major Craft gets any back in stock.
If you bought the rod from a seller that has not sold a lot of the product then it can take some time for the order to ship. The seller may not even have the rod on hand at his store and will have to place an order further complicating the process. That is why it pays to buy from sellers that have sold a lot of the item as they likely maintain an inventory of the item on hand. As far as glueing the inductor on the DIY spools I have done it to one that I had that was super wild and barely useable. One othe person has done it as well but it sounds like the tip of the inductor might be dragging on the magnets in his case and he can not fully tighten down the palming plate screw or the spool will rub. In my case I have no problems but it could be due to my spool being slightly shorter due to a manufacturing defect. You might be able to extend the inductor to maximum and wrap a small peice of tape around the air brake to temporarily lock it I to the extended position for testing purposes.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:52 pm

As far as fixing the inductor, I would think you'd be better off only extending it maybe 3/4 of the way. That way the edge won't rub and it will make your reel a little more versatile. I think you could do it without some kind of spacer on the outside of the spool shaft if you use a quick setting adhesive and add more around the outside once the initial coat dries.

If you search around, there are several MC light bfs sticks on offer for ~$200-250. The Volkey, Speed Style, Corrza, Benkei, and MS-X series' all have one.
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:20 pm

poisonokie wrote:As far as fixing the inductor, I would think you'd be better off only extending it maybe 3/4 of the way. That way the edge won't rub and it will make your reel a little more versatile. I think you could do it without some kind of spacer on the outside of the spool shaft if you use a quick setting adhesive and add more around the outside once the initial coat dries.

If you search around, there are several MC light bfs sticks on offer for ~$200-250. The Volkey, Speed Style, Corrza, Benkei, and MS-X series' all have one.
I wonder when the website will have them available again? Might just call MC USA tomorrow and see what they say. I am not too worried about the inductor. Will try it out first. Another question I forgot to ask either of you is concerning line...

For now I plan on using my Zillion SV TW or SS/SV with the new honeycomb style DIY. The line I planned on was either 8lb Sufix 832 (or equivalent braided line) or 5lb FC Sniper. The website says not to use nylon (mono) though and I figure it includes fluoro too because of the stretch potentially warping the spool. It's all on the way now, except for line so just seeing what ya'll think???

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:58 am

I think the problem is that nylon absorbs water and swells, which can damage the spool. Everyone with an opinion on here has told me that braid is fine. I presume fluoro is fine because it doesn't absorb water. The lighter you go, the more stretch goes into the line, but people say even 2# won't hurt it. I'm thinking of trying some 2.5 on my ASC/MSX UL combo just to see if the rod will protect it (it's rated 3-10#), but I doubt I'll leave it on there as 4-6# seems perfect.
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:39 am

poisonokie wrote:I think the problem is that nylon absorbs water and swells, which can damage the spool. Everyone with an opinion on here has told me that braid is fine. I presume fluoro is fine because it doesn't absorb water. The lighter you go, the more stretch goes into the line, but people say even 2# won't hurt it. I'm thinking of trying some 2.5 on my ASC/MSX UL combo just to see if the rod will protect it (it's rated 3-10#), but I doubt I'll leave it on there as 4-6# seems perfect.
Thanks, it sent early AM today. I took both of your advice and made sure I got a seller with many orders, thank goodness, so far it worked. I have really enjoyed the Sniper BMS (bought from Digitaka) on my Steez A (10lb) and Chronarch MGL (14lb green-multi). Would enjoy trying the super light 2lb-5lb versions of it.

For now I think 8lb Sufix 832 should work though, it should also be thick enough to not get behind the spool. I wonder if I should have ordered some Hedgehog AIR BFS bearings too???

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:32 pm

Definitely wouldn't hurt. I'm planning on a set for my Alphas ASC. I'm getting the ceramics, though.
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:49 pm

I just picked up this Taranis CX inshore rod on Cabelas website for under $55 shipped. It says med-light power, but rated 1/16-1/2 oz lures. I am hoping it will do power-finesse well, plus its not a bad-looking rod. Or it might be closer to medium power and fish small spinnerbaits and chatterbaits well. Either way, its a great deal and I'm sure I can find a place for it. Theres a medium power 6-9 model for the same price.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/CASTAWA ... s?slotId=0
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:22 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:I just picked up this Taranis CX inshore rod on Cabelas website for under $55 shipped. It says med-light power, but rated 1/16-1/2 oz lures. I am hoping it will do power-finesse well, plus its not a bad-looking rod. Or it might be closer to medium power and fish small spinnerbaits and chatterbaits well. Either way, its a great deal and I'm sure I can find a place for it. Theres a medium power 6-9 model for the same price.
That's good to see. Maybe more true finesse/BFS rods will make it to the US in coming years. Should become a more mainstream style with angler population increase (cities, towns with only streams/creeks/ponds).

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:03 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:I just picked up this Taranis CX inshore rod on Cabelas website for under $55 shipped. It says med-light power, but rated 1/16-1/2 oz lures. I am hoping it will do power-finesse well, plus its not a bad-looking rod. Or it might be closer to medium power and fish small spinnerbaits and chatterbaits well. Either way, its a great deal and I'm sure I can find a place for it. Theres a medium power 6-9 model for the same price.
That's good to see. Maybe more true finesse/BFS rods will make it to the US in coming years. Should become a more mainstream style with angler population increase (cities, towns with only streams/creeks/ponds).
Doubtful. Ultralight has been an established subsection of angling for much longer than BFS has, and the domestic UL gear scene is virtually nonexistent. BFS is mainly a further fringe pursuit of an already fringe section of fishing, the enthusiast section. Business wise it wouldn't make sense to bring it here, the numbers just aren't there.

Be grateful for the internet, that is your marketplace now. No, in most cases you can't handle the merchandise before buying, that's one of the limitations/downfalls, but you have a world of choices available to you that didn't exist 20 years ago. It's somewhat of a trade off, but still better than little to no choice.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:21 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
I wouldn't hold my breath. This makes the 2nd "inshore" casting rod I have bought that was medium-light power. Sadly, the inshore market actualy needs that type of rod LESS than freshwater anglers.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.