UL bass in Africa

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

UL bass in Africa

Post by Allsorts » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:46 am

I got away for a camping trip with some mates (first time in forever) which was perfect. Typical man space where the essential stuff (tackle, kickboats and cold beer) was sorted and we kind of improvised the rest (showering, cooking and sleeping).
I'm not sure how many members of this forum use kick craft but I love them - super versatile and apart from limits in moving quickly between spots, they are an outstanding platform for bass and panfish.

We fished hard and kicked about 3-4 miles a day. On both days, very strong winds kicked up (I'm talking whitecaps, I watched a corrugated roof panel get ripped off). The smallies and largies loved the wind, the harder it blew the bigger the fish got. One the first day I was set up in a good area with the wind quartering onto the bank. I could keep the wind at my back and fish the rough water / colour line against the bank. I threw a 9g Smith Niakis spinner as it matched the bait size and I could concentrate on keeping my position and just reel, using the line tension to gauge my retrieve speed. For 20 minutes, the smallies were rampant and super strong, my best was a solid 18" which took awhile to land. Far too rough to take pic unfortunately.

The same afternoon we fished a river section upstream, catching quite a few smallies of moderate size with one solid fish sorting my mate out in a downed tree. The primary plant in the system is called 'palmiet' which has enormously strong root systems which sustain them during low water and secure them during winter flooding. They form undercuts which can go back 10' or more and the smallies hide underneath in the shade. The fish pictured was teased out from under the 'palmiet' with an old school favourite lure of mine, an F5 balsa Rapala.
Attachments
IMG_20181129_154128_resized_20181204_054316495.jpg
IMG_20181129_154128_resized_20181204_054316495.jpg (120.87 KiB) Viewed 7250 times
IMG_20181129_154133_resized_20181204_054314939.jpg
IMG_20181129_154133_resized_20181204_054314939.jpg (112.86 KiB) Viewed 7250 times
IMG_20181129_161903_resized_20181204_054314018.jpg
IMG_20181129_161903_resized_20181204_054314018.jpg (245.6 KiB) Viewed 7250 times

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: UL bass in Africa

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:40 pm

Right on! Had no idea there were smallies in Africa. Super cool stuff :big grin:

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Well done =D>

Excellent story and pictures.

Pardon my asking, is this what you refer to as a kickboat ?

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:45 pm

Very nice. Having fished in Africa.....Kenya......I had no idea there were Smallies there. Of course I knew Kenya had trout but I did not fish for them. Was at Lake Naivasha for bass....tilapia. That was a long time back and last I heard the lake had taken a downturn being full of carp.

Regards

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:47 am

uljersey wrote:Well done =D>

Excellent story and pictures.

Pardon my asking, is this what you refer to as a kickboat ?
That's a deluxe version of typical Safrican kickboat, made in a garage out of standard aluminum sections and some custom pontoons with an electric motor and fishfinder...

Compared to float tubes they are quicker as they have much less drag. I've got pontoons well over 6' and I can out kick anyone who isn't on steroids or has a sneaker motor... :lol: I'd like to put a Torqueedo on mine (pictured below)...
Attachments
P7270091.JPG
P7270091.JPG (183.82 KiB) Viewed 7170 times

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:12 am

Alphahawk wrote:Very nice. Having fished in Africa.....Kenya......I had no idea there were Smallies there. Of course I knew Kenya had trout but I did not fish for them. Was at Lake Naivasha for bass....tilapia. That was a long time back and last I heard the lake had taken a downturn being full of carp.

Regards
Apparently Naivasha is toast but there is no shortage of good bass water in Southern Africa, more and more big fish as well, I think we are over 18lbs now in Zimbabwe. SA record is >16lbs. Bass are viewed as a pest of sorts because they vacuum up everything and cause collapse of some indigenous species. We have an American crawfish invasion (escapees from fish farms) which cause trouble but bulk up the bass. The one thing we are missing here is the shad family, nothing indigenous to convert open water zooplankton into bass food

There is a massive new reservoir in Botswana that may well kick out a world record within the next decade. SA smallie record is a hair under 8lbs (caught near where I was fishing) but no big spots strangely, record is under 4lbs AFAIK.

We have some bluegill, usually quite hard to find and not in panfish / harvesting numbers but a few nice ones come out, like one my mate caught recently (that's not a joint by the way, he rolls his own cigarettes....
Attachments
IMG-20181003-WA0030.jpg
IMG-20181003-WA0030.jpg (32.47 KiB) Viewed 7167 times

Gusto
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Gusto » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:31 am

Thx allsorts for pic post of my pb bluegill :D all 800g of it, great article, that Stella looks extra nice next to the smallie \:D/

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:38 am

Are the tilapia widespread there? I know bass like to eat them and they fatten up quick (where tilapia are present), like in some south Florida lakes.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:02 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:Are the tilapia widespread there? I know bass like to eat them and they fatten up quick (where tilapia are present), like in some south Florida lakes.
Our tilapia occupy the same niche as your panfish, apart from really high altitude areas they can be found everywhere from brackish estuaries to most reservoirs. They typically run a little bigger on average than sunfish. Out of clean water they are delicious. Much harder to catch than bluegill...

If anyone is interested in getting a good picture of our inland lure angling, this blog https://rudolphsreeladventures.co.za/ is pretty good. All the major tilapia are shown together with lots of catfish (ours get to about 100lbs) and the local 'yellowfish' which is what we get really excited about. They look like chub or pikeminnows but they will blow your hair back on light gear. Only fish to break me on a slack line, their acceleration is unbelievable. Closely related to the Indian mahseer...
Attachments
Platy Blue 3.JPG
Mocambique tilapia aka blue kurper
Platy Blue 3.JPG (188.01 KiB) Viewed 7152 times
RB1_1kg.JPG
Redbreast tilapia
RB1_1kg.JPG (218.95 KiB) Viewed 7152 times

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:46 am

Fantastic. I love seeing fish from other places.

Now I'm watching snow fall :evil: while yearning for June when the big stud bull bluegills come out to play. I pretty much ignore fishing for everything else to chase them.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:14 pm

You know Allsorts we have tilapia in TN. They got into Old Hickory Lake.....no one is quite sure how. They congregate in the winter at the discharge of a power plant. As you know they can not tolerate cold water......but they are adapting in this lake. Each November folks show up at the discharge and take home coolers of 200-400 fis. By regulation we are supposed to harvest them or kill them if we catch them. But these fish have been caught in big numbers many miles from the power plant in winter. So far there is no apparent damage to the native fishery......but that could change as time goes on.

Regards

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:21 am

Great pics. I have to say that I am shocked about the float tube fishing in S. Africa. I have watched too many nature shows because when I think of freshwater and Africa, I think of Crocs. I have communicated with Africanbasstackler about this and he says that he is much more afraid of hippos than Crocs.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:43 pm

Sure looks fun, fishing in Africa, but I'm glad the most dangerous thing I have to deal with is the occasional snapping turtle.
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:11 pm

John G wrote:Great pics. I have to say that I am shocked about the float tube fishing in S. Africa. I have watched too many nature shows because when I think of freshwater and Africa, I think of Crocs. I have communicated with Africanbasstackler about this and he says that he is much more afraid of hippos than Crocs.
He is a wise man for being afraid of hippos. They kill more people than crocs, lions or sharks year over year. On a separate note- in some of the private lakes I fish down in S. GA, I have to watch out for gators when I'm wading. They aren't as aggressive as crocs, but they are still dangerous. More often than not, they are more interested in trying to get the fish I'm reeling in! :lol: But I've also had them follow me and bump the boat on more than one occasion.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:36 pm

John G wrote: I have communicated with Africanbasstackler about this and he says that he is much more afraid of hippos than Crocs.
I avoid both! Actually the majority of our waterways are croc and hippo free and apart from the risk of getting run down by some bozo in a fast boat, it's much safer on the water than on the bank given our crime issues. Crocs are making a comeback in my home area due to croc farmer negligence (or maybe they are good escape artists!). They aren't a problem until they get to 5-6' but eventually the big ones get shot as relocating them is expensive and difficult. The one reservoir we all fished for years unknowing that there was a croc present who got so cheeky in the end that he'd sun himself on a floating waterski ramp. Public pressure from the canoeing club and the fact that he was eating the local's goats resulted in him being shot. A good rule of thumb is that if tigerfish are present there will be crocs and probably hippos so no kickboating! When I was young and foolish I used my KB in an estuary which hosts the odd bull shark...