Rod for smaller bluegill

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rod for smaller bluegill

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:40 pm

I have a Megabss f0 deep throat rod that works great as a combo crappie / bluegill rod but is a bit more rod than I need when I am fishing just for bluegill. Where I fish most of the bluegill are not that big, just 6-7 inches and I usually cast tiny jigs tipped with a maggot or nighcrawler bit. I prefer a rod in the 6ft 4 to 7 ft range and don't like a really short rod. What is recommended to have fun catching these smaller bluegill?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Rod for smaller bluegill

Post by poisonokie » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:25 pm

I don't know what that Megabass is like, but have you looked into the St. Croix Panfish Series? I really like my 6'9" UL/F. I think it would be right up your alley.

https://stcroixrods.com/collections/fre ... s-spinning

This is the way.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:37 pm

hungry_cow wrote:I have a Megabss f0 deep throat rod that works great as a combo crappie / bluegill rod but is a bit more rod than I need when I am fishing just for bluegill. Where I fish most of the bluegill are not that big, just 6-7 inches and I usually cast tiny jigs tipped with a maggot or nighcrawler bit. I prefer a rod in the 6ft 4 to 7 ft range and don't like a really short rod. What is recommended to have fun catching these smaller bluegill?
What price range are you looking at?

Regards

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:47 pm

Yes I have looked at the St. Croix but the ones I have held in store have more of a buggy whip feel than I prefer.

I don't want to spend more than $350 but would probably go with one in the $150 to $200 range if it is close in performance to a higher end rod. I watched your videos on the AlphaPalms Egeria ESSS-64 XUL and am very interested. Is that still the rod you prefer for mostly 7 inch and smaller bluegill with some perch and crappie mixed in, or is their a similar higher end rod you prefer?

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:49 pm

$70 gets you a USDM Daiwa Presso. Decent rod for the money and would be a blast for 'gills.

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Daiwa-P ... nning-Rods

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:57 pm

hungry_cow wrote:Yes I have looked at the St. Croix but the ones I have held in store have more of a buggy whip feel than I prefer.

I don't want to spend more than $350 but would probably go with one in the $150 to $200 range if it is close in performance to a higher end rod. I watched your videos on the AlphaPalms Egeria ESSS-64 XUL and am very interested. Is that still the rod you prefer for mostly 7 inch and smaller bluegill with some perch and crappie mixed in, or is their a similar higher end rod you prefer?
That is a great rod for what I bought it for. I used it today on about 100 or so 7-8 inch white bass....it was a blast. You can spend more money and get the sensitivity up there with other rods. It does not compare to any of my high end rods for sensitivity but it has a great fun factor while not being a noodle.....and it didn’t cost 300 bucks either. As you know I bought it for the smaller Gills. Using a reel on it strung up with the ester mono line really helps with the sensitivity.

Regards

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:29 pm

hungry_cow wrote:Yes I have looked at the St. Croix but the ones I have held in store have more of a buggy whip feel than I prefer.

The top half is whippy, but that helps with casting ul baits and it has plenty of backbone. It might surprise you. I have no problem casting 1/32 jigs for distance and with accuracy and I've landed some huge hybrids and decent bass with it, yet I never fail to land crappie on it. That said, I wouldn't count on it for lifting power with anything bigger than those small bluegill you're after.
This is the way.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:29 pm

Is there a higher end Extra UL that matches or exceeds the fun factor without being whippy as well as the Egeria ESSS-64 XUL? If so I might consider if there is a higher end equivalent, but I don't want to go shorter like most extra UL rods seem to be and it seems that most rods of that length are more all purpose UL that would work great but have a little more power than I need and take away a bit of the fun factor.

But if the Egeria ESSS-64 XUL is the best functioning rod as far as fun factor goes for fun with 6-7 inch bluegill on light jigs I will gladly get it. I know the high end rods are lighter but it will still feel feather light compared to all my bass rods that are over 4 oz and I don't need super sensitivity as I usually have my jigs tipped with a worm or maggot so if anything it helps to let them swim with it just a bit before setting the hook anyway.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:05 pm

hungry_cow wrote:Is there a higher end Extra UL that matches or exceeds the fun factor without being whippy as well as the Egeria ESSS-64 XUL? If so I might consider if there is a higher end equivalent, but I don't want to go shorter like most extra UL rods seem to be and it seems that most rods of that length are more all purpose UL that would work great but have a little more power than I need and take away a bit of the fun factor.

But if the Egeria ESSS-64 XUL is the best functioning rod as far as fun factor goes for fun with 6-7 inch bluegill on light jigs I will gladly get it. I know the high end rods are lighter but it will still feel feather light compared to all my bass rods that are over 4 oz and I don't need super sensitivity as I usually have my jigs tipped with a worm or maggot so if anything it helps to let them swim with it just a bit before setting the hook anyway.

I have had my eye on this rod a while. It is made in China with Japanese components......I have several JDM UL rods that I know are not made in Japan and I suspect are built in China.....and they are all good. It is an Abu Garcia Eradicator Real Finesse 6’ 7” Slow Taper Special. It is built on a 55 ton nano blank and weighs 1.94 ounces. I know a guy in California who has one and he says it’s great. This is a rod that is neither Ajing or Mebaru.....this appears to be a growing trend with several Japanese rod makers producing a “light game” rod. I’m wanting to get another rod or two in the SUL or XUL line up yet I want the sensitivity. This one sure has all the specs.

Regards

https://www.purefishing.jp/product/bran ... nesse.html

https://www.digitaka.com/item.php?item=36282959965

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:22 am

Wow, that does look like a fun rod. That thing is balanced.
This is the way.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:36 pm

Alphahawk wrote: I have had my eye on this rod a while. It is made in China with Japanese components......I have several JDM UL rods that I know are not made in Japan and I suspect are built in China.....and they are all good. It is an Abu Garcia Eradicator Real Finesse 6’ 7” Slow Taper Special. It is built on a 55 ton nano blank and weighs 1.94 ounces. I know a guy in California who has one and he says it’s great. This is a rod that is neither Ajing or Mebaru.....this appears to be a growing trend with several Japanese rod makers producing a “light game” rod. I’m wanting to get another rod or two in the SUL or XUL line up yet I want the sensitivity. This one sure has all the specs.
The max weight of 10 grams has me worried it would be to high of power but the video really has me tempted to save up for that rod. It looked crisp rather than being a noodle and those small fish really put a bend in it. While I bass fish allot more than I bluegill fish most of my bass rods are $400 to $600 and I probably fish for bluegill more than I use any one bass rod as I like to fish for them in the spring and try to catch a few most days in the summer to keep my catfish rods baited up.

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:32 am

If a 10g max lure weight sounds like too much rod, consider a Shimano Soare BB S700SULS. (Super Ultra Light Solid tip). It is a 7 foot mebaru rod with a max lure weight of 4 grams and a max line weight of 3 lb. It's not too whippy but a modest bluegill will put a bend in it. I have not fished the high end rods mentioned above to compare it to, but it is a modestly priced, readily available JDM rod that I find to be a lot of fun with bluegills.

Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reservoir » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:39 pm

I recently just purchased a rod for bluegill fishing, I’m actually pretty excited for next spring.