Ester or PE Braid?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Mdmel
Angler
Angler

Re: Ester or PE Braid?

Post by Mdmel » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:13 am

hey guys quick question..

first : i read somewhere that ester is not advised on baitcasters.anyone here that use ester line on bfs reels?

second question i have 0.2pe sunline ester line , can i use it without a leader for mackarel ( ajing fishing) , mackarels are a bit hideous we always use fc leader on braid line so i wonder since ester is very thin and a little bit harder to see compared to braid.maybe i can use it without a leader in saltwater ( on spinning reel )

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:13 pm

The need for a leader with ester line is for shock absorption. You could probably get way with not using a leader on small fish.....but without the stretch that leader gives you larger fish will pop ester in a heart beat. I land a lot of KY bass....Smallie's.....white bass on ester, but without that leader I am not getting them in. Chris Stewart over at Finesse Fishing tested ester on a BFS setup and he states emphatically that is is not for bait casting reels.

Regards

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:00 pm

Mdmel wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:13 am
hey guys quick question..

first : i read somewhere that ester is not advised on baitcasters.anyone here that use ester line on bfs reels?

second question i have 0.2pe sunline ester line , can i use it without a leader for mackarel ( ajing fishing) , mackarels are a bit hideous we always use fc leader on braid line so i wonder since ester is very thin and a little bit harder to see compared to braid.maybe i can use it without a leader in saltwater ( on spinning reel )
Ester on BFS...never! ~X(

Though Alphahawk has essentially mentored me by way of his videos, for which I am ever grateful, I do run afoul of his teaching by not always using a leader with ester. Not sure why I can get away with it but my guess is that I play the fish differently, holding the rod at a much lowe angle and loosely to absorb some shock.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:37 pm

Anyone find much difference in the strength between 2.1 lbs and 2.3 lbs Ester? I accidentally got the 2.1 lbs and wonder if I should just sell it and order the 2.3 lbs in the future.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:06 am

I would just use it. I can tell you I tested them extensively and there is .2 pounds difference between the two. I wish the Varivas came in 3# test.

Regards

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:26 am

Alphahawk wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:06 am
I would just use it. I can tell you I tested them extensively and there is .2 pounds difference between the two. I wish the Varivas came in 3# test.

Regards
Me too! But wonder if line management would get even more difficult.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:46 am

Knotty wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:26 am
Alphahawk wrote:

Regards
I have found the higher you go up in ester line ratings the more manageability issues one has.....I tried a 3# test once. Varivas USA reached out to me and will be sending me a new ester line to try in December. It is supposed to be more manageable .

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:36 pm

Alphahawk wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:46 am
Knotty wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:26 am
Alphahawk wrote:

Regards
I have found the higher you go up in ester line ratings the more manageability issues one has.....I tried a 3# test once. Varivas USA reached out to me and will be sending me a new ester line to try in December. It is supposed to be more manageable .

Regards
The question with more manageability is how much sensitivity you give up. Looking forward to your feedback.

Gearhead
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Gearhead » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:37 am

Has anyone tried the Gosen 3 pound ester.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:53 am

Gearhead wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:37 am
Has anyone tried the Gosen 3 pound ester.
The gosen is nice

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:11 pm

Alphahawk, did you get the line? Any conclusions?

Thanks.

[/quote]

Regards
[/quote]

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:19 pm

ultralight wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:11 pm
Alphahawk, did you get the line? Any conclusions?

Thanks.

Regards
[/quote]
[/quote]

I have it but have not had a chance to get out and use....been iced in for a week now. Hope to get out soon. The line at first glance does not appear to be anymore supple than the ester I have been using for a couple of years now. Just eyeballing the line it appears thiner....but I have no way to confirm that. Will post how it works out.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:08 pm

Thanks. Is this 3 lbs? If yes, then that is an achievement even if it is 'only' as supple as your 2.3 lbs.

[/quote]

I have it but have not had a chance to get out and use....been iced in for a week now. Hope to get out soon. The line at first glance does not appear to be anymore supple than the ester I have been using for a couple of years now. Just eyeballing the line it appears thiner....but I have no way to confirm that. Will post how it works out.

Regards
[/quote]

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:05 am

I've seen it mentioned here and elsewhere couple times but never heard of anyone putting in much time with it so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I've been using the unitika nightgame pe 3lb test for over a year now. Its spooled up on a 19 stradic c2000s and it fishes like a dream. I bought some ester at the same time but until I get a new reel, i cant see myself trying it just because of how much i like this braided line. I was using it with a 2ish foot leader of I believe 2.5lb troutist mono. Great line, nothing wrong with it. Just that I can barely see it to tie the connecting knot or to the lure. So I'm currently using 4lb sniper fluoro. Not sure if sunline uses different measurements for usdm vs jdm on sniper since it's an extremely popular line here but I would say it's just a bit too thick. Great line, but I would want to go down to something with a slightly smaller diameter once I use up this spool.

I honestly didnt believe it was possible to cast lures in the 1-1.5gram range as well as this line allows me to. And with braid, you obviously get no line twist or line springing off the spool. Perfect spool manageability, casting and sensitivity. Added benefit of visibility if you're fishing in a way that it matters.

I was using 5lb power pro or 4lb mono prior to this and I would consider both to be garbage in comparison. I've caught a couple bass to 2lbs on it without issue. Bluegill of varying types, crappie, rainbow trout, white perch and smaller bass are all a delight to catch on it