Smith Be Sticky Trout

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Smith Be Sticky Trout

Post by Craigthor » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:03 pm

I was recommended this rod on a previous post but curious if anyone has actually fished with this rod? I’m looking at the 5’3” but wondering how well fit and finish. Also how do they fish, considering they seem to be full carbon 30t by the spec list.

http://smith.jp/product/trout/bst/bst.html

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Smith Be Sticky Trout

Post by Allsorts » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:17 pm

Haven't owned this rod but have used several Smith rods, the fit and finish is excellent. Cork tends to be above average, the Be Sticky range was designed by Motoyma who knows what he is doing. If you use the search term 'bfs truite be sticky' you'll see some video footage. There is an awesome French video which was shot by a guiding outfit where they use the Be Sticky, just can't find it ATM. Very popular rod in France also. The high viz bindings are a good idea for visual reference against riverside vegetation...

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:31 pm

Interesting the Casting series has the High Vis Windings and Tip and the Spinning series seems to lack that design.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:09 am

Going to take the leap and test out a Smith Be Sticky Trout Hiro Motoyama BST-EXS47L/C3 as my first foray BFS trout fishing, found a single one in TroutShop.Jp

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:19 am

Craigthor wrote:Going to take the leap and test out a Smith Be Sticky Trout Hiro Motoyama BST-EXS47L/C3 as my first foray BFS trout fishing, found a single one in TroutShop.Jp
So many rods.....so little time.

Regards

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:32 am

Allsorts wrote:Haven't owned this rod but have used several Smith rods, the fit and finish is excellent. Cork tends to be above average, the Be Sticky range was designed by Motoyma who knows what he is doing. If you use the search term 'bfs truite be sticky' you'll see some video footage. There is an awesome French video which was shot by a guiding outfit where they use the Be Sticky, just can't find it ATM. Very popular rod in France also. The high viz bindings are a good idea for visual reference against riverside vegetation...
Allsorts...just exactly how many JDM UL rods have you tried.....and how many years have you been at this? I’m 67...been doing it for 5 years.....many times buying per your suggestions. But if I continue to buy at my current pace, and I do it for 10 more years....not sure I could catch up with you....LOL. I have the habit bad but my worst habit is not being able to part with rods. I need to sell so I can try even more rods....but man I hate to part with any of them...but I’m working on it.

Regards

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:00 pm

Found some videos that are pertinent figured I’d toss the links here as well for future reference.

https://youtu.be/T7HwJwb40Yo

https://youtu.be/rW6XDH95VhY

https://youtu.be/KyOukysqAhc

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:30 am

Alphahawk wrote:
Allsorts wrote:Haven't owned this rod but have used several Smith rods, the fit and finish is excellent. Cork tends to be above average, the Be Sticky range was designed by Motoyma who knows what he is doing. If you use the search term 'bfs truite be sticky' you'll see some video footage. There is an awesome French video which was shot by a guiding outfit where they use the Be Sticky, just can't find it ATM. Very popular rod in France also. The high viz bindings are a good idea for visual reference against riverside vegetation...
Allsorts...just exactly how many JDM UL rods have you tried.....and how many years have you been at this? I’m 67...been doing it for 5 years.....many times buying per your suggestions. But if I continue to buy at my current pace, and I do it for 10 more years....not sure I could catch up with you....LOL. I have the habit bad but my worst habit is not being able to part with rods. I need to sell so I can try even more rods....but man I hate to part with any of them...but I’m working on it.

Regards
How many rods...too many, I think high teens. The bug first bit in 2008, during the TT UL boom days. Glad to see a recent renaissance which, I have no doubt, you and Chris Stewart have been largely responsible for, both here and on Crappie.com.

Whereas you have focused on the UL stuff, I've done lots of SW, including seabass, sea trout, LRF, eging, ajing, estuary as well as rock and surf in Ireland and South Africa. In FW, serious bassing, also local panfish and indigenous predators as well wild river trout in UK, Ireland and Southern Africa. So I've been exposed to a very wide range of techniques, situations and species using JDM rods...great way to learn!

For my financial sanity, I've learnt to move rods on when I'm after something new. I'm not at all sentimental about tackle... Currently looking at UL / trout BFS...and CDM rods...go figure!

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:51 pm

Following

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:09 pm

Got a bit of time on the water with the new BFS Trout setup. Beyond impressed with how accurate and smooth it is, no major birds nests and the rod is a blast.

Smith Be Sticky Trout BST-EXS47UL/C3:

This rod is a treat, plenty of backbone but gets an exciting bend when you hook up. Packs super small and fits in my wader tote for traveling, and keeps it secure. Excellent build and quality.

Daiwa Air Stream Custom 7.2L:

Smooth reel that is easy to adjust and tune. Super smooth and easy start up. Still need to play a bit to get it perfect.

Varivas Bait Finesse PE .4:

Very easy to see braid, not as colorfast as the Sunline Small Game with a little bleed of color that I’m guessing will go away over time with use. Much more of a true braid and not a fused line so you will need to watch for wear or fraying.

Over all it was a gorgeous day and my first chance in weeks to get back on the water. Still awaiting my other Smith rod to clear customs but I am super excited to see how it compares as the taper is slightly different according to butt and tip diameters.

Enjoy!

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:38 pm

Gorgeous! Must have been a wonderful pleasure to fish with that beautiful landscape and trout!

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:54 pm

Great read and pics.

Regards

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:21 pm