Tackle storage for bank fishing

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Tackle storage for bank fishing

Post by NorCoMike » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:23 am

Whats everyone using for staying organized and mobile while fishing from the bank? I usually carry a backpack with two boxes filled with stuff and just curious how others do it?

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Tackle storage for bank fishing

Post by 1nutinthewater » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:42 am

Fishpond vest. plenty of pockets for enough gear for the day without having to stop and dig through a backpack.

Easily enough space for- 25 pretied leaders, 10 spinners and spoons, glasses, thermometer, scissors, file, gloves, glasses, small terminal gear box, car keys, 1 oz jar of scent, pocket knife, carabiner, bag of nitrile gloves.
And still plenty of room to spare!
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

Wpeart7
Angler
Angler

Post by Wpeart7 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:29 am

Backpack with digital scale, pliers and forceps in top compartment and one Plano 3600 size tackle organizer inside the main compartment. All you need.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:15 pm

I also just bring a backpack and just carry one 3600 size tackle box that has some hardbaits, jigs, and terminal tackle. For soft plastics, I use a ziplock bag and bring about 5-6 packs of different variations. I always have a pair of braid cutters, pliers, a scale, small first aid bag, and water. I could fit more, but I usually just leave space just in case I need to pack a jacket depending on the weather.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:19 pm

I use a fly-fishing sling pack. I have a Fishpond Summit Sling, but there are a few great looking ones out there. Mine is very small, it will hold a single 3600 box or a pair of 3500 boxes, plus a few hardbaits or bags of plastics. The pocket layout is great and I can keep a good bit of emergency/comfort items in it as well as the aforementioned tackle and not have it feel over full. Biggest downside is a poor water-bottle holder and no good fast way to stash a jacket. I do like it a lot though.

However, I am starting to notice that my back is loving the sling less and less as time goes by. I also think switching from mostly finesse to mostly power-fishing last season maybe doubled the weight in tackle I lug around. This season I am going to try to use a small hiking pack, an Osprey Talon 11, in place of the sling when I am going more then a mile from my car. It's a great pack, comfortable up to 15 pounds and tolerable up to 20lbs. With it I can fit one 3600 and two 3500 boxes with ease or two 3600's snugly. This is on top of the same emergency/comfort items but with the ability to carry more water and stash a jacket. The huge downside is it will be vastly less continent to access any of my gear. I am not sure I will like it enough and might try to go to a larger lumbar bag or something like that that takes the weight off my back.

I also want to encourage everyone to try hanging a rock climbing chalk bag on their belt as a "dump pouch" while bank fishing. They are amazingly useful for both "staging" lures you think you will be switching too often and as a "drying room" for lures that you have just un-rigged but are too wet to put back into a box. They have a fleecy fabric on the inside and the few I have used are all oddly resistant to snagging larger jig and spinnerbait hooks, but it's super easy just to carry a few wine-corks in there to stick your hooks into.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:52 pm

When I used to not carry so much stuff, a fly vest with it's multiple pockets was enough to throw a few boxes of assortments.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:45 am

I bought a mid sized back pack from Ozark Trail that has room for 3 3600 boxes, plenty of side pouches for tools and the top is a lined cooler that can hold a few cans or bottles or bags of plastics. It think it was around 25 bucks. It is great for bank fishing or taking excursions in my plastic pontoon. I find myself using it a lot when fishing brackish water, I can just add in a small box of inshore baits and freshwater stuff.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:12 pm

Throughout the years I have purchased several backpacks and vests made specifically for fishing - but I rarely use them. If I do, I bring one small backpack with a few small items, eg spare reel.

To me, the most important thing when bank fishing is mobility, and I generally carry as little as possible.
At most 2*Plano 3500s but usually just 1-2 smaller boxes, which I can fit in my jacket (chest pockets) along with 1 scissor forceps.
1 rod and 1 reel and 1 wading net fitted to my back behind a wading belt so I don’t have to put things down (net) when casting.
This way I can cover miles of water in a few hours...