The limited Ferrari in Ultralight fishing will be out year

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
raychoi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

The limited Ferrari in Ultralight fishing will be out year

Post by raychoi » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:31 am

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: The limited Ferrari in Ultralight fishing will be out year

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:37 pm

Beautiful rod. Always viewed Olympic as high end but with a hint of value. Makes me feel thrifty and budget minded for buying that EG RS Limited Stallion this morning.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:44 pm

Yeah, saw that. 120,000 yen.

Me thinks Alphahawk should acquire* one, review on Youtube. And become a legend.... :shock: :roll: :lol:

* at that price, you don't 'buy' a rod, you 'acquire' a rod. :big grin:

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:45 am

ultralight wrote:Yeah, saw that. 120,000 yen.

Me thinks Alphahawk should acquire* one, review on Youtube. And become a legend.... :shock: :roll: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Creekin
Angler
Angler

Post by Creekin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:30 pm

That is awesome. At this point with a baby due in a couple months, I'll just have to drool on the keyboard!

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:48 pm

ultralight wrote:Yeah, saw that. 120,000 yen.

I won’t say never but it is certainly not on my list at this time. The 2017 Finezza Prototype will be here tomorrow. I never thought I would pay $430 for a rod but I did....and I have to say it is worth the money. The Tict Ice Cube Rockin’ Drift is an amazing rod. I have told many how you are literally one with the fish. I will be comparing it with the Finezza Prototype. I am sure the Finezza will have a higher quality look to it but there is nothing wrong with the build of the Drift. So who knows....maybe I might one day try the AT. Life is good!

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:23 pm

Congrats Creekin. I won't give up my boys for all the rods in the world - JDM or otherwise...:)

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:29 am

The tip is .6mm :shock:
This is the way.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

My measurements - and where Olympic may be headed...

Post by ultralight » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:37 am

Poisonoke….yes, that is a THIN tip.

So here's the interesting thing. I posted 3 of the 2018 Cortos on the FS board after I made measurements. I also have a Corto Nuevo Prototype which is the higher priced model. Turns out that their 2018 Cortos are their lowest cost and yet lightest rod of those particular lengths for the Olympic in their stable. By measurement, their tips are stiffer and yet considerably thinner than the Nuevo Corto and I think, than all the higher priced Cortos except for that 120K yen unit. So this tells me that they actually have higher modulus than other Cortos which theoretically, should be more sensitive. I also have other JDM solid tip on hand with much softer tips which also measure thicker. (All this to make the 2018 Corto unmatched bang for the buck JDM UL it seems.)

Also, Ajing blanks also tend to weigh more than comparable Mebaru blanks as it is stiffer all the way towards the tip (faster action) and thus require more material to make it stiffer - and yet these 2018 Cortos, being Ajing, are very light. Olympic's website notes that the 2018 Cortos are using their lightest cloth - which again tells me that they may be higher modulus than others. (MAY is the operational word as I don't know for sure but the measurements support this conjecture.)

In short, Olympic seem to be making increasingly thin solid tips, but without dropping the stiffness - if anything, stiffness is going up so I think they are using higher modulus material. Again, theoretically, these should be more sensitive. And the 120K yen model should be their best of the best apparently and the thin tip confirms the direction they are going.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:14 am

Hi Alphahawk, with your Drift, I think I read somewhere that you landed a huge fish (drum?) on it and was surprised the rod did not break given how much bend you put in it. Quick question - what's the lightest and the heaviest lure you cast with it - and any problems getting range? And what's the heaviest line you used on it?

Thanks!

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:31 pm

ultralight wrote:Hi Alphahawk, with your Drift, I think I read somewhere that you landed a huge fish (drum?) on it and was surprised the rod did not break given how much bend you put in it. Quick question - what's the lightest and the heaviest lure you cast with it - and any problems getting range? And what's the heaviest line you used on it?

Thanks!

The lightest is 1/64 and heaviest is 1/8....but 1/8 is not often. It casts well in all ranges. Yes that drum was every bit of 30 pounds and I was using SOS 2# test which is really 3.5# test. The rod was doubled over so much my nephew was close when I was fighting it and he shied back as he thought the rod was going to shatter...but it’s still kicking....LOL.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:23 pm

Thanks for confirming that. I am not surprised by the durability - solid blanks are the toughest/sturdiest blanks and this one has the entire top half solid. At this point, I don't know of any other rods constructed like this so I think the drift is in a class of one. Talking to another builder who merged a mostly solid blank with a tubular lower part, he remarked that his is incredibly sensitive so not surprised that you find the Drift amazingly sensitive. There is still so much to learn about UL rods....

Thanks.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:29 am

In my limited experience, at least with bass rods, regular action rods tend to be heavier, especially in the top half of the rod, than a fast, which are heavier than an extra fast. I figure it's because it takes more material in the tip to make it stiffer so the the bend starts further down in the belly where either more glass or a higher resin/lower modulus graphite is used to moderate the action. Maybe that's why that rod is lighter than it seems it should be.
This is the way.