UL BFS Rod Lengths - please suggest

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

UL BFS Rod Lengths - please suggest

Post by ultralight » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:25 am

Greetings All,

I've been absolutely fascinated by the whole BFS for UL jigs - down to about 1.2 grams or less. So I'm thinking of building a rod as I have a bunch of UL blanks from sub 5' to my longest single piece 8' blanks.

So I have a question. Why is it that most of you with BFS seem to prefer sub 6' rods? If I have plenty of room to cast, any reason not to do 6' 6" or 7' or even 8' rods if they are soft enough to cast the UL lures just fine?

I ask as I generally go for 7' rods for more casting distance using spinning reels.

Thanks!

ps: And yes, I'm going to build a sub 5' rod to try underhanded cast to see if I can get more control and softer water entry with the lures for very finicky trout so I am not against short rods.

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: UL BFS Rod Lengths - please suggest

Post by CM_Stewart » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:14 am

If you have "plenty of room to cast" and "generally go for 7' rods for more casting distance using spinning reels" then by all means build a 7' rod.

I generally use 5'3" or 4'5" rods because I mostly fish medium to small streams. Casting room is often restricted and longer casting distance would just put the lure in the bushes.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:19 am

Small streams and short casts from brush-filled banks demand a short rod. If theres no obstructions around you, a longer rod just works better imo. My ultralight casting rod is built on a 7' Immortal popping blank and I love using it for small cranks and inline spinners. I have no problem with accuracy, either.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:29 am

I prefer a rod in the range of 6.5' and only use shorter when fishing creeks and small streams. I have one rod that's 7'3" and don't use it much, not sure why ?

Wpeart7
Angler
Angler

Post by Wpeart7 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:32 am

No reason not to use 6+ feet if most of your fishing is open. Short rods shine for tight quarters and accurate casting which is pretty much what BFS was invented for so naturally short rods are more prevalent. Use what fits your situation.

Just remember it's easier to use a short rod in the open than it is to use a long one in tight streams.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:45 pm

I have built several BFS rods on ultra light spinning blanks and they work great. The length does somethings much better than a short rod. I do not, by and large, fish tiny creeks and in the larger creeks/small rivers that I fish the extra reach works great. I have a couple that are built on dropshot spinning blanks, of course these are possibly not ultra light, but they throw 1/16 oz wonderfully. I have a couple that are under 6 feet and find them less enjoyable to fish. Between 6' and 7' are probably where I will stay and I am not worried about casting 1/64 anything. Hope this helps.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:24 pm

Thank you everyone! What a great forum. very much appreciate all the help in sharing your experiences.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Long rods will always give you better leverage, longer casts and easier to turn a fish. Short rods are perfect for tight quarters where a long rod will just get hung up.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:57 am

Just to add to all the great info already given.

For me, I don't like my BFS rods to be to "whippy." A decent quality blank is a must. I like light tips, with fast actions, at around 6'6-6'10. I want to be able to react quicker to bites, and have a chance to keep bites away from nearby structure before it's to late.

I do best with two rods in my BFS lineup. One for small jigs/plastics, and one for small cranks.

The Corto 6'10" spinning blank with just a tad bit more power, made into a casting rod would be perfect for me.

A personal favorite of mine is the Megabass Super Eiger X7, but it is more of a light power.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:22 am

Craigthor wrote:Long rods will always give you better leverage, longer casts and easier to turn a fish. Short rods are perfect for tight quarters where a long rod will just get hung up.
I agree.
I use many different rods in 5’4” and up to 9’6”. The longer rods perform well in some tight-ish quarters, e.g. they help where I have to reach beyond vegetation. Some reels do not work well with the longer moderate action rods, at least that is my experience.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:19 pm

zodiak311 wrote:Just to add to all the great info already given.

For me, I don't like my BFS rods to be to "whippy." A decent quality blank is a must. I like light tips, with fast actions, at around 6'6-6'10. I want to be able to react quicker to bites, and have a chance to keep bites away from nearby structure before it's to late.

I do best with two rods in my BFS lineup. One for small jigs/plastics, and one for small cranks.

The Corto 6'10" spinning blank with just a tad bit more power, made into a casting rod would be perfect for me.

A personal favorite of mine is the Megabass Super Eiger X7, but it is more of a light power.
Definitely a crisp blank. A "sloppy blank will cut down on casting distance, accuracy too.

I am building 3 BFS rods using the IM 4'6" FW blanks. Not as light as my noodle Tsurinoya rod but, they hot a light tip and decent amount of flex. Quick recovery too.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing