Stuck 2 Piece Rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Stuck 2 Piece Rod

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:40 am

I got my Abu Eradicator Realfinesse rod in the mail today but when I went to put the two pieces together they got stuck about half way down. Now I can't take the 2 parts apart or push it down all the way to fit. It such a fragile rod I don't want to force it as hard as I can with fear of breaking the rod. How do you put together and take apart a super tight fitting stuck two piece rod? Should I put on a drop of oil or something?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Stuck 2 Piece Rod

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:02 pm

hungry_cow wrote:I got my Abu Eradicator Realfinesse rod in the mail today but when I went to put the two pieces together they got stuck about half way down. Now I can't take the 2 parts apart or push it down all the way to fit. It such a fragile rod I don't want to force it as hard as I can with fear of breaking the rod. How do you put together and take apart a super tight fitting stuck two piece rod? Should I put on a drop of oil or something?

I had the same problem when I first recieved a MB Shorluck

I used this method and it worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8bOgtWtrNE

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:51 pm

But how to I get it put together? I feel like I am going to break it trying to get it together and it just gets stuck.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:58 pm

I was able to get it apart but I can't figure out any way to actually get it put together and snug, I get to the last inch or so and can't get it to go any more together no matter how hard I try.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:38 pm

hungry_cow wrote:I was able to get it apart but I can't figure out any way to actually get it put together and snug, I get to the last inch or so and can't get it to go any more together no matter how hard I try.
Look up "Spigot Ferrule" It is a common type of connection on higher end 2-piece rods. It is supposed to have what appears to be a gap. Don't feel bad, I made the same mistake.
spigot ferrule.jpeg
spigot ferrule.jpeg (4.94 KiB) Viewed 11775 times

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:12 pm

hungry_cow wrote:I was able to get it apart but I can't figure out any way to actually get it put together and snug, I get to the last inch or so and can't get it to go any more together no matter how hard I try.
It's not supposed to go all the way. JDM rods are designed to have a "wear cushion". As time goes, this area will shrink due to friction. This keeps the rod from getting a sloppy fit in the future.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:23 pm

Thanks! I have never used a high end 2 piece rod before and didn't know they made them like that.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:15 pm

Love to hear your comments about the Abu Eradicator Realfinesse rod. That's one of the more interesting JDM rods.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:20 pm

Renzetti Ferrule Lube. It works well.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:49 am

Many fly rods use the same type of ferrule. There’s some debate over whether or not to wax the male fitting. I’ve had some rods that came apart too often w/o wax. Never saw ferrule lube before. I just rub the ferrule with a stick of paraffin wax.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:45 pm

Knotty wrote:Many fly rods use the same type of ferrule. There’s some debate over whether or not to wax the male fitting. I’ve had some rods that came apart too often w/o wax. Never saw ferrule lube before. I just rub the ferrule with a stick of paraffin wax.
I would be careful using paraffin wax. It could increase the size of the ferrule and cause high graphite content rods to break at the joint when fighting a fish. I have ordered some ferrule lube.

Regards

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:21 pm

Alphahawk wrote:
Knotty wrote:Many fly rods use the same type of ferrule. There’s some debate over whether or not to wax the male fitting. I’ve had some rods that came apart too often w/o wax. Never saw ferrule lube before. I just rub the ferrule with a stick of paraffin wax.
I would be careful using paraffin wax. It could increase the size of the ferrule and cause high graphite content rods to break at the joint when fighting a fish. I have ordered some ferrule lube.

Regards
No worries. They're just cheap Cabela's CGR glass fly rods and now they don't fall apart while casting anymore.

TroutMcghee
Angler
Angler

Post by TroutMcghee » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:45 am

I know I am late to the game, but to free stuck ferrules, I use an old bamboo rod trick: put the stuck joint in your hands behind your knees and use your knees/legs against your arms to free the ferrule. Much safer than just pulling with your hands.

As far as ferrule wax goes, I haven’t ever used any wax. This is going to sound gross, but I haven’t found a better oil than human oil. An old timer showed me that the oil from around your nose area worked better than anything to keep the ferrule from getting stuck, but doesn’t collect dust and dirt.

Hope you finally got that rod unstuck lol.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:44 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:02 pm
hungry_cow wrote:I got my Abu Eradicator Realfinesse rod in the mail today but when I went to put the two pieces together they got stuck about half way down. Now I can't take the 2 parts apart or push it down all the way to fit. It such a fragile rod I don't want to force it as hard as I can with fear of breaking the rod. How do you put together and take apart a super tight fitting stuck two piece rod? Should I put on a drop of oil or something?

I had the same problem when I first recieved a MB Shorluck

I used this method and it worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8bOgtWtrNE
Best technique everrr

So that being said would you guy suggest wiping the male end with a warm damp cloth before mating both parts?
I think oil or grease would have an adverse effect so that’s why I didn’t suggest

It’ unless someone else has done it with no problems
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

FK
Angler
Angler

Post by FK » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:50 am

Many years ago Scott fly rods came with an attached booklet the recommended using a LIGHT application of candle wax to the spigot ferrule.
I carry in a zipblock bag a piece of unscented white candle,, thin coating then rub off with fingers or cotton cloth.

Most important is to assemble sections 90 degrees out of alignment,,,, then twist whike pushing to seat the joint. Disassembly in reverse,,,, twist and pull apart.

Totally elliminates problems with stuck or loosening ferrules while casting.

Regards,
FK