UL BFS Rod Builders: Do you Spiral the guides?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

UL BFS Rod Builders: Do you Spiral the guides?

Post by ultralight » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:31 pm

I'm itching to get around to building a BFS rod...though I've not quite gotton my BFS reel yet.... :lol:

Question for those of you who build rods or have your rods built: Do you spiral your BFS rods? And if you do, what style of spiral do you use? Have you actually experienced any advantages to spiral on your BFS? (I assume that perhaps I can use one or two fewer guides as the line won't rub on the blank?)

Thanks!

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: UL BFS Rod Builders: Do you Spiral the guides?

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:57 am

6' custom spiral wrap. More important to straighten line flow than worry about minor line rub issues. The taller the guide, the less it is an issue. I use micro guides so I get a little line rub if rod is loaded to the right side. Otherwise, not an issue at all.

Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: UL BFS Rod Builders: Do you Spiral the guides?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:16 am

Absolutely! Otherwise the line will rub the entire upper half of the blank, or even drop down below the blank in some cases. Spiral-wrap requires less guides, which makes the rod feel a lot better and less tip-heavy. IMHO, the only other place for spiral-wrap is on deep-loading boat rods for SW bottom fishing, and possibly swimbait rods that are closer to moderate action. Most bass rods today are fast or x-fast and don't load deeply enough to necessitate spiral-wrapping.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.