Line watching - does color make a huge difference?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Line watching - does color make a huge difference?

Post by ultralight » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:37 pm

I almost always use 2 lbs fluoro - and very occasionaly testing out green braids. Both are quite 'invisible' to the eye. I have friends with superb eyesight who line watch and their hook up rate is high because often, one can see the line jump but not feel it in the rod.

Since my eyes are only average at best - I do not have their acuity and can't see the line.

Question: does line color change the equation? For example, Alphahawk likes the Ester in orange. Will a like like that make a huge difference in line watching?

Thanks.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Line watching - does color make a huge difference?

Post by Craigthor » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:29 am

For primarily jigging, definitely. Sometimes it is such a subtle take you won’t feel anything. For spooning where it is mostly tight line work not a ton though I use a visible line as this helps with my casting to watch where the line is going when casting up by trees and brush.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:42 am

What craigthor said. I mostly fish visible lines now. If you want a visible flouro, try Seaguar Yellow Hunter. Even in 4# it is very supple and quite easy to see. Had to order it from Japan.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:03 pm

Just in the past few years have I gone to hi-vis line. With age it just gets harder to see line.....and most of us fishing 2# test...just hard to see. I am very one dimensional in my fishing......meaning micro jigs and soft plastics......95 percent of the time a Trout Magnet. I am constantly twitching my jig head......staying in contact with the jig head. Very rarely is my line slack. But there are times when it has been slack I can see the bite if the fish hits it on the fall. But the main reason I use hi-vis is because I can’t stand not knowing the direction my jig is at. Don’t laugh....but it is almost disorienting to me. Even using the hi-vis it can be hard for me to see the line.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:47 pm

Alphahawk,

Thanks. May I ask what colors you have tried and which ones seem to be the clearest? I'm thinking of either pink or yellow to start with but am not sure which may be easier to see....

Thanks.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:31 pm

I’ve found bright green, orange and yellow to all be quite visible. Which is most visible depends upon the lighting but they’re all good in general. (Oops, just noticed your question was directed to an individual)

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:03 pm

I’m currently fishing the orange ester. I have one reel spooled up also with Varivas Super Trout Advance Sight Edition in orange. But they have changed the color of that line to green.....not sure how I will like that. I tried a line that had I think what was called “Misty brown” in color....but to me it was clear.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:02 pm

Knotty - no probs. Want all comments possible.

Alphahawk, thanks!

ulbc2
Angler
Angler

Post by ulbc2 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:34 am

Craigthor wrote:For spooning where it is mostly tight line work not a ton though I use a visible line as this helps with my casting to watch where the line is going when casting up by trees and brush.
Also helps to watch and control where the lure is swimming.I've been using this line (Green 0.14mm) for two years and I liked it a lot, I will not go back to translucent lines for this type of fishing in stream.
IMG_20190404_122713_744.JPG
IMG_20190404_122713_744.JPG (65.62 KiB) Viewed 5446 times