Ester Line - Help Me Decide

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Ester Line - Help Me Decide

Post by Knotty » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:51 am

Every curious, I ordered some Varivas Ester 2.3# line but when it arrived I realized I couldn't decide which reel to put it on. Help me choose.

Option A
Shimano Stradic CI4+ 1000. My lightest reel. I could then use it with UL, SUL and XUL rods, especially the Daiwa Presso 54XUL-S area rod. I generally use these rods for fairly shallow waters.

Option B
Shimano NASCI 2500. This heavier reel better balances the Kuying SuperLite Ajing 7'6". I envision using this pairing to fish a little deeper, especially from a boat or kayak, with the sensitivity helping me detect crappie and bluegill bites.

Of course I can just order another spool and do both, but forced to decide, what would you pick, A or B, and why?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Ester Line - Help Me Decide

Post by poisonokie » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:16 am

I say B. It sinks and will therefore help keep your bait on the bottom, plus you get high sensitivity even on slack line and zero stretch for solid hooksets. You'll need a lot of backing.
This is the way.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:19 pm

Easy. Both. :lol:

Put backing on both reels, split the spool between the two. 75 yards per reel ought to be more than plenty for any UL fish you encounter....:)

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Ended up putting most of the line on the NASCI 2500 but left enough on the spool to use with the Stradic 1000 for small stream applications.

I put the ester lined NASCI on a Kuying SuperLite Ajing and headed out in the kayak on a private community lake. First thing of note was how much better the 2500 size reel balanced the 7'6", 95 g rod than the 1000 I had used previously (lighter isn't always better). Tied on a 1/32 oz. Trout Magnet shad dart jig head with a tiny (1.5"?) curly tail grub. I know some use a shock leader with ester but my thinking is that a short section of flouro doesn't have enough stretch to help much and the line to line knot just creates a weak spot.

I had a good idea where some fish might be and first on was a bluegill. With the drag set very light for the 2.3# line, the gill made the drag click. Next up was a small crappie and then a largemouth which put a good bend in the rod but it was nothing compared to what was to come. After several more crappie I hooked into something big. First thought was a bigger bass but in the clear water it became obvious that it was a big pickerel in the 16-18" range. The fight took a long time and all the while I was sure a tooth would nick the line but the beast was brought to hand. The jig was dead center of the top lip. After that excitement it was crappie after crappie, with one being caught on most casts. Landed dozens plus a few more gills.

The sensitivity of the ester was very, very good. Not only could I feel every tap but even light contact with plant life. Probably better than an equivalent JDM fouro but without a back to back comparison it's hard to tell. Suffice to say I really like the line.

I also really liked fishing with the Ajing rod and light jigs in this situation. The rod casts them easily but has plenty of backbone for the fight. Actually much more backbone than 2.3# ester can make use of.

Last edited by Knotty on Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:46 am

That's cool. You'd be surprised at how much the stretch in a 4' leader can help. Plus you get that added resistance to abrasion. Whatever works for you is all that matters, though. I think if you wind up setting the hook on something bigger than a panfish you might be more likely to break off. Maybe not. Where was that pike hooked?
This is the way.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:45 am

Good read. I’m now using about 4-6 foot leaders with the ester. It makes a big difference. I know I’m going through a lot of leader but it really increases my chances of landing bigger fish. When one really looks at all the info about shock leader it really should be a very long leader.......I haven’t quite gotten there yet. Using an Ajing rod with ester.....and hooking a 5 pound Smallie going to be a lot of praying going on....LOL. Now I’m only going to use ester on Mebaru and Area trout rods if I’m in big fish territory. But I got to tell you I love the stuff.

Regards

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:23 pm

poisonokie wrote:That's cool. You'd be surprised at how much the stretch in a 4' leader can help. Plus you get that added resistance to abrasion. Whatever works for you is all that matters, though. I think if you wind up setting the hook on something bigger than a panfish you might be more likely to break off. Maybe not. Where was that pike hooked?
The pike was dead center of the top lip. Got lucky that despite a long fight, the line never went into his mouth or got wrapped around its scissors.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:29 pm

Alphahawk wrote:Good read. I’m now using about 4-6 foot leaders with the ester. It makes a big difference. I know I’m going through a lot of leader but it really increases my chances of landing bigger fish. When one really looks at all the info about shock leader it really should be a very long leader.......I haven’t quite gotten there yet. Using an Ajing rod with ester.....and hooking a 5 pound Smallie going to be a lot of praying going on....LOL. Now I’m only going to use ester on Mebaru and Area trout rods if I’m in big fish territory. But I got to tell you I love the stuff.

Regards
Where I fish there’s almost always the chance of pickerel or bass ending up on the line (though probably not a 5 pounder). My bass focused, MH rod carrying friends are always surprised to hear that bass would even take a Trout Magnet but it happens all the time.

I’ll take heed of posonokie and your suggestion to use a flouro leader next time I go out and see if I like it.