St Croix SCV panfish rods

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: St Croix SCV panfish rods

Post by TravisNY » Fri May 17, 2019 3:49 pm

edwelch1 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:41 am
Alphahawk wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:36 am
No doubt in my military mind it is the finest UL rod on the shelves in the USA. Glad it’s working out for you.

Regards
Yep, just wanted to throw out some thoughts on it for those that may not be ready to take the plunge on the JDM stuff quite yet. I imagine I'll eventually take the JDM plunge myself, and your advice here on the boards will be plenty helpful at that time, but until then, cheers!

Curious sir as to whether you currently or have owned/fished a Loomis GLX TSR model. Thanks.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri May 17, 2019 5:19 pm

edwelch1 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:47 am
......unless you go custom.
Yeah, you should always go custom with a rod that is for such a specific niche/task IMO... :big grin: There was a big learning curve when I first started with customs. I bought several customs before I figured out what I DIDN'T want. Once that was out of the way, I now get exactly what I need, based on that experience. A little costly as a learning experience? Yes, but this is TT, after all. :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:32 am

TravisNY wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:49 pm
edwelch1 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:41 am
Alphahawk wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:36 am
No doubt in my military mind it is the finest UL rod on the shelves in the USA. Glad it’s working out for you.

Regards
Yep, just wanted to throw out some thoughts on it for those that may not be ready to take the plunge on the JDM stuff quite yet. I imagine I'll eventually take the JDM plunge myself, and your advice here on the boards will be plenty helpful at that time, but until then, cheers!

Curious sir as to whether you currently or have owned/fished a Loomis GLX TSR model. Thanks.
Nope, I'm not really able to afford trying a bunch of different rods out on the water. They had a few GLX TSR rods in stock at the shop I go to, and they felt comparatively nice. I just wasn't as big of a fan of the handles on them compared to the split handle on the LEP. Also not a huge particular reason, but I like 1 piece rods, and I liked length/balance of the 6'4" LEP better than the shorter 5'9" and longer 6'7" GLX TSRs; the 6'7" was close for me, but the handle made the difference. Out on the water may have been a different story, and I'm sure they would have made me plenty happy, but that's the basics of why I chose the LEP over the Loomis options.
www.blindjumperoutdoors.com

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:40 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:19 pm
edwelch1 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:47 am
......unless you go custom.
Yeah, you should always go custom with a rod that is for such a specific niche/task IMO... :big grin: There was a big learning curve when I first started with customs. I bought several customs before I figured out what I DIDN'T want. Once that was out of the way, I now get exactly what I need, based on that experience. A little costly as a learning experience? Yes, but this is TT, after all. :lol:
Yeah, I'd eventually like to try my own hand at making a custom. This'll give me a good reference point for something to strive for when I eventually try that, haha.
www.blindjumperoutdoors.com

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Tue May 21, 2019 3:36 pm

Thank you for the reply sir. I fish spins with my hand forward of the reel stem with index and middle finger wrapped around the blank with thumb extended on the blank vs the reel stem between my fingers. I figured that you were in the latter group if preferring the Croix handle. The TSR 791 GLX is comfy to me. It's been a great stick for me over the years and all I fish are river smallmouth but of course hook the occasional outsized channel cat or carp that like my little jigs. I have four. Good fishing to you.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.