Shorter rod recommendation

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
rt dak
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shorter rod recommendation

Post by rt dak » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:34 pm

My current UL line up is a 6' St. Croix Avid and a 6'7" Loomis TSR791. Been fishing a lot of smaller streams lately with limited casting access and the longer rods are becoming a burden for that so I'm looking for something shorter. Just based on what I'm familiar with I'm looking at a Loomis TSR621S, a Loomis SR6010 IMX and a St. Croix AVS46ULF or AVS50ULF.

I was looking at some of the JDM native trout rods but it seems like the ones in my price range are actually made in China which I'm not huge on, especially if I'm buying "JDM". You guys have any suggestions for a rod? I haven't used a rod under 6' in probably 15 years or more. I'll probably mainly be throwing 1/16 oz inline spinners and small jig heads like trout magnets and the like.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shorter rod recommendation

Post by Craigthor » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:13 pm

rt dak wrote:My current UL line up is a 6' St. Croix Avid and a 6'7" Loomis TSR791. Been fishing a lot of smaller streams lately with limited casting access and the longer rods are becoming a burden for that so I'm looking for something shorter. Just based on what I'm familiar with I'm looking at a Loomis TSR621S, a Loomis SR6010 IMX and a St. Croix AVS46ULF or AVS50ULF.

I was looking at some of the JDM native trout rods but it seems like the ones in my price range are actually made in China which I'm not huge on, especially if I'm buying "JDM". You guys have any suggestions for a rod? I haven't used a rod under 6' in probably 15 years or more. I'll probably mainly be throwing 1/16 oz inline spinners and small jig heads like trout magnets and the like.
Once you break less than 5’ I would look towards an UL/ Moderate rod, the rod will help load and cast in the tight spaces. What is your price range, there are some cheaper JDM options as for the made in China I wouldn’t worry about that as they are probably assembled in China with Japanese sourced parts and designs.

rt dak
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rt dak » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:45 pm

Craigthor wrote:
rt dak wrote:My current UL line up is a 6' St. Croix Avid and a 6'7" Loomis TSR791. Been fishing a lot of smaller streams lately with limited casting access and the longer rods are becoming a burden for that so I'm looking for something shorter. Just based on what I'm familiar with I'm looking at a Loomis TSR621S, a Loomis SR6010 IMX and a St. Croix AVS46ULF or AVS50ULF.

Once you break less than 5’ I would look towards an UL/ Moderate rod, the rod will help load and cast in the tight spaces. What is your price range, there are some cheaper JDM options as for the made in China I wouldn’t worry about that as they are probably assembled in China with Japanese sourced parts and designs.
I was thinking about that, the Avid I have now is pretty whippy and sometimes accuracy can be an issue because of it. Might get even worse going that much shorter. The SR6010 IMX is the only one of those rods listed as moderate. I'd like to stay under $250, closer to $200 would be ideal.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:55 pm

I’d look at the Diawa Wise Stream rods should keep you around the $200 mark.

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:50 am

None of the JDM rods that I know of in that price range are made in Japan. However, I think Craig is right. I wouldn't worry about where the rod is made as long as it is made by a company that is known for quality rods.

In your price range, I prefer the Shimano Trout One NS rods over the Daiwa Wise Stream (which I think do better with slightly heavier lures). You might also look at the Palms Egeria. I've only fished with their glass rod, but it is a well made rod. Unfortunately it doesn't say where it is made, so I assume it is made in China.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:59 am

rt dak wrote:I was looking at some of the JDM native trout rods but it seems like the ones in my price range are actually made in China which I'm not huge on, especially if I'm buying "JDM". You guys have any suggestions for a rod? I haven't used a rod under 6' in probably 15 years or more.
FWIW, I have an XUL Daiwa JDM area rod that sells for around $450 and it's not made in Japan.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:16 am

Tenryu Rayz are definitely made in Japan and worth a look if your budget can stretch...

rt dak
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rt dak » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:24 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I think I might end up with the Trout One.