BFS in the bay

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
nstd
Angler
Angler

BFS in the bay

Post by nstd » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:42 am

had 30 mins between work and was able to manage a couple on the BFS setup. conditions weren't the best, but was able to hook a spottie and a croaker. sound was off, but they were pulling drag on the UL set up.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: BFS in the bay

Post by Knotty » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:45 pm

nstd wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:42 am
had 30 mins between work and was able to manage a couple on the BFS setup. conditions weren't the best, but was able to hook a spottie and a croaker. sound was off, but they were pulling drag on the UL set up.
Nice. What were you fishing with? Rod and reel I can see so what’s tied on the end of the line?

nstd
Angler
Angler

Post by nstd » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:24 am

B2C695E1-2A86-49D0-8B5D-D4EF4FBF2682.jpeg
B2C695E1-2A86-49D0-8B5D-D4EF4FBF2682.jpeg (85.11 KiB) Viewed 9773 times

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:48 am

Thanks. I’m going to be fishing some salt in Florida this month, so was curious about how you were catching them.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:06 pm

I guess I'm not that weird then for wanting a new Alpha CT SV for fishing in the salt

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:11 pm

Are these BFS reels (i.e. such such as the Adlebaran) salt water durable?

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:25 am

ultralight wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:11 pm
Are these BFS reels (i.e. such such as the Adlebaran) salt water durable?
The Aldebaran is not recommended for salt because of the Magnesium frame but the Shimano Scorpion is Salt approved as well as the Abu ALC BF7. Both have audible drags and cast light baits well, the Abu spool is a little lighter but the Shimano brake system is a superior design and a little less sensitive in changing winds and all. But side by side the Abu will outcast the Shimano all day.

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:36 am

The Aldebaran BFS, Calcutta Conquest BFS and Scorpion BFS are all approved for salt water use.

From the Shimano website:

"Sea water OK

Shimano's unique high-performance bearings, SA-RB and A-RB, which are resistant to rust, can be used safely in sea fishing as well, thanks to the exterior treatment. We recommend cleaning with a shower after use to ensure long and comfortable use."

Although the comment above specifically mentions bearings, all three of the reels have the "Salt Water OK" icon in their specs.

The Daiwa BFS reels (T3 Air, SS Air and Alphas Stream Custom) are for fresh water only.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:28 am

The regular Daiwa Alphas Air was also deemed suitable for saltwater at least according to JapanTackle....

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:39 am

CM_Stewart wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:36 am
The Aldebaran BFS, Calcutta Conquest BFS and Scorpion BFS are all approved for salt water use.

From the Shimano website:

"Sea water OK

Shimano's unique high-performance bearings, SA-RB and A-RB, which are resistant to rust, can be used safely in sea fishing as well, thanks to the exterior treatment. We recommend cleaning with a shower after use to ensure long and comfortable use."

Although the comment above specifically mentions bearings, all three of the reels have the "Salt Water OK" icon in their specs.

The Daiwa BFS reels (T3 Air, SS Air and Alphas Stream Custom) are for fresh water only.
I stand corrected, I still will only use Aluminum frame reels in saltwater but Shimano says go for it

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:42 am

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

nstd
Angler
Angler

Post by nstd » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:46 pm

did a quick session in the bay and picked up this decent one on the bendo

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:00 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:28 am
The regular Daiwa Alphas Air was also deemed suitable for saltwater at least according to JapanTackle....
And they are amazing reels. Great distance with light baits and very hard to backlash. Plus they're braid approved and with a few dress up parts they look freakin' sinister. \:D/ The only thing about them that bugs me is that they have the old, black, prone to malfunction inductor ramp. I haven't had an issue with mine so far, and I have one more white one just in case, but still. The old ones are not braid friendly and I wouldn't want to use anything but braid with it.
This is the way.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:17 am

Lots of good Saltwater approved BFS reels out there but I use my Old Abu LTX SHS reel, super light spool that holds a little more than the average BFS spool with an X-Mag frame and Abu's salt approved barrings installed

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed May 01, 2019 10:42 am

I went to UC Irvine from 1988-93 and lived in Newport Beach. We had a core group of various young local tackle shop employees that spent a lot of nights fishing in Newport Harbor for spotted bay bass. This was when the original swimbait, the Wormking, was hot. We threw the Wormking's and small grubs on 1/16-1/4 ounce leadheads with 6lb. mono, and usually baitcasting equipment. I loved my original Lew's BB1LG and custom Phenix Don Iovino doodling rod for this. This was early BFS equipment. We didn't usually throw stuff quite as light as you are throwing.

We would dock hop and drop vertically on the larger dock poles/pilings. Some of the guys also used finesse spinning tackle. I didn't cast out into open water, like you are doing in the video, very often because we had so many good docks to fish.

Unfortunately, the world has changed, and most of the good docks with multi-million dollar yachts are no longer accessible on foot. They have gates and security on those docks. You now need a kayak to access most of those areas. I'm in the market for a kayak for this purpose. I want to fish San Diego Harbor also.

Those spotted bay bass are one of the strongest fish that swims. I think that, pound for pound, they would drag a smallmouth under. I've weighed them over 4lbs. I believe the world record is 6 lbs. 12 ounces. The worst part about them is that they have large sharp teeth. They will tear your thumb up in a hurry.