SUL Madness!

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

SUL Madness!

Post by Knotty » Thu May 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Hit a local pond the other day and quickly landed a nice enough bass with a ML baitcast rod and a Zoom fluke. But that just didn't ring my bell. The pumpkinseeds were on their beds, just feet from shore, with bass all around and I wanted some of that action.

Switched to a Kuying Teton TTS622SUL (.8-3 g lure rating), Stradic Ci4+ 1000 reel with a 7X Trout Magnet Phantom flouro tippet leader and 4# Seaguar Yellow Hunter flouro main line. The lure was a Trout Magnet in Bison [correction: bulldog] color on a 1/64 oz sickle hook jig head (also caught one on a small 2.3 g minnow). My expectation was that I'd get loads of sunfish. Reality was that the largemouth were the ones most interested in the TMs, allowing me to bring over a dozen to hand. I assume they mistook them for fry. Got about 4 or 5 pumpkinseeds.

The SUL rod let me cast the Trout Magnets with ease and then twitch them back in the shallow water. Had I planned on bass, I would probably have upped the leader size but in the end I didn't have a single break off. The rod did a great job at protecting the tippet. Just had to remind myself to let the drag do it's job and not rush. When the bass run for the weeds, let them. Even w. very light drag they don't go far.

I really like the medium action on this rod. In general I'm more comfortable with flexible rods. I generally lose fewer fish with them, since it's easier to keep a bend in the rod and I often crush the barbs on hooks.

In the end, I couldn't have been happier with each piece of gear and the experience as a whole.

Last edited by Knotty on Sat May 11, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SUL Madness!

Post by poisonokie » Thu May 09, 2019 7:38 pm

Awesome. I love days like that.
This is the way.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sat May 11, 2019 5:48 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:38 pm
Awesome. I love days like that.
You bet! But I would have been just as happy had all the catches been pumpkinseeds.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat May 11, 2019 7:42 pm

I'm like that with hybrids around here.

Of course that's not UL tackle as I was hunting for lunkers in a brush pile using a heavy rod, 20# fluoro, and a 6.8" flick shake on a decoy heavy cover wacky hook, but here's one on UL panfish spinning tackle:

That's the beauty of hybrid sunfish. They get big and will hit almost anything aggressively.
This is the way.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sat May 25, 2019 2:29 pm

The Kuying Teton 6'2" SUL continues to provide lots of fun, catching big fish in the Spring season. With a Trout Magnet on a 1.6 g jig head I can make some pretty long casts. Never know if it's going to get a little bluegill or a hard fighting smallie. These are from Lake Wallenpaupack in Pennsylvania.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat May 25, 2019 3:39 pm

Well done =D>

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:04 pm

A couple more on spoons with the Kuying.

FK
Angler
Angler

Post by FK » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:18 am

Knotty,

Really enjoy your photos and posting.

Thanks,
Fred
Spey Casting North East

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:51 am

FK wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:18 am
Knotty,

Really enjoy your photos and posting.

Thanks,
Fred
Spey Casting North East
Thanks Fred and good to hear from you. Sad to report that I never got back to Skagit Spey despite your excellent tutelage. (Since this is my own thread, I can hijack it :D )

FK
Angler
Angler

Post by FK » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:16 pm

I have given up teaching Spey Casting, my partners now run the classes.

My main interest forward will be UL spinning and possibly BFS.

Regards,
FK

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:14 pm

Sounds like we’re on the same page FK. :D

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:43 pm

A couple more from a little morning fishing. One on a small topwaters and the other on a Trout Magnet. Both were tied directly to the Seaguar Yellow Hunter 4# flouro this time.