SUL from the Kayak

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

SUL from the Kayak

Post by Knotty » Thu May 09, 2019 5:40 pm

When I'm in a kayak, my go to rod has become a 7'6" ajing rod, for two reasons. One, it has a wide lure rating of .6-10 g ,which provides great versatility, and two, because the length helps with long casts from a seated position.

However, on this particular day, the ajing rod was unavailable, so instead I used a Kuying Teton 6'2" SUL which I talked about here: https://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=81441

Started with the little 3.1 g popper. Despite being mid-day, it was aggressively swiped at by multiple large bluegills but only a couple fish hooked up. (on a later day I'd have good success with it on largemouth and pickerel)

The Z-Viber produced a bass but not much else that day.

The third setup was the charm. A 1.6 g red jig head mated to a matching bison [correction: bulldog] colored trout magnet. With a little more weight than a normal TM jig head, it cast great and got down easier. This combo produced several bass and many sunfish. All were loads of fun on the SUL rod, which handled them w/o problem. I'm really beginning to love SUL!

Last edited by Knotty on Sat May 11, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SUL from the Kayak

Post by LowRange » Sat May 11, 2019 1:25 pm

I like to take my 662L Teton out on the Kayak for when the bass bite is garbage. I can always tie on some fun little bait and go catch some dinks and big gills on a popper or something. It can turn a bad few hours on the water into a fun trip.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sat May 11, 2019 5:47 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:25 pm
I like to take my 662L Teton out on the Kayak for when the bass bite is garbage. I can always tie on some fun little bait and go catch some dinks and big gills on a popper or something. It can turn a bad few hours on the water into a fun trip.
Very true. I get just as much enjoyment out of gills and crappie as I do bass. Funny thing is, at this time of year you don't just get dinks on small baits. I'm consistently getting 2-4 pounders.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat May 11, 2019 10:03 pm

Beautiful! Thanks for posting.

This season, I'm tending more towards SUL than UL, realizing that I prefer rods that are loaded on the upper range of their capability. They cast more accurately and are more fun to engage the fish, and I've landed up to 5+ lbs trout (weighed) with 2 lbs line at the line's limit.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sun May 12, 2019 11:57 am

ultralight wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:03 pm
Beautiful! Thanks for posting.

This season, I'm tending more towards SUL than UL, realizing that I prefer rods that are loaded on the upper range of their capability. They cast more accurately and are more fun to engage the fish, and I've landed up to 5+ lbs trout (weighed) with 2 lbs line at the line's limit.
Yup. Perhaps it's because I'm not the best caster but unless a rod loads well, I find it difficult to cast accurately. So if I'm fishing a fast rod, I need to be at it's upper range. On slower XUL and SUL I can cast pretty well across the whole range.