Reflection - JDM UL Rod Ratings & Going X- or S-UL.

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Reflection - JDM UL Rod Ratings & Going X- or S-UL.

Post by ultralight » Sun May 12, 2019 11:52 pm

Quick observations. Love to hear thoughts from the rest of you. Obviously there is some subjectivity as observations are personal, but I also try to be as objective as possible.

As I've been posting, and some of you know, I've been picking up JDM UL SPINNING rods to examine and measure to get a sense of how they are built, and more importantly, how their blanks taper. I'm pretty much done getting more rods for now.

Here are three observations on Spinning UL rods:

1. There is no industry standard for rod rating. Two rods from two companies may have identical ratings, but the actual power can be very different. For example, with Olympic Ajing rods, I find that their power is high (stiff) for the rating.

By the way, most UL rods can cast 1 g just fine, even those on the upper end of stiffness. I think that most can cast down to 0 grams as well as any other UL rods - IF one can simply whip the rod fast enough. Every UL rod will load without any lure on it just due to inertia of the blank, guide and wrap.

So, I do not at all take ratings that seriously. I mention this as I see some make much of a rod rating that starts at some very low number such as 0 grams or 0.2 grams.

The difference is not whether it can cast light lures, but how much 'feel' one has when casting, and how well the rod can cushion very light drag settings and keep the hook in the mouth.

2. I used to subscribe to the philosophy that sensitivity comes with the highest power for the weight ratio that I can find and still cushion 2 lbs line sufficiently. However, I am no longer sure of that equation as there are many other factors in play including how soft the tip may be. I do believe that all things equal, the lighter the rod, the more sensitive it should be. However, I no longer think that a high powered rod for a given weight is always more sensitive than a lower powered rod of the same weight.

3. Using 2 lbs test and roughly 8 oz drag, I am now moving towards lighter powered rods - which would be rated as XUL or SUL on the upper half and perhaps a stronger power on the lower half. While I have not fished with most of the JDM rods before passing them on to new owners, I find that the remainder two of my rods that I still have on hand to measure all tend towards the XUL/SUL range. I have kept them up to this point as they are ones that I know if I were to keep to use, they would be very satisfying.

I find that with very light lures (1 - 2+ grams), I can cast more accurately with XUL/SUL rods as I can feel it load better. As to controlling fish, I find that drag setting is drag setting. If a rod is very soft all the way down to the handle, one can still apply the same pressure on the fish - albeit with less range of 'angles' one can move the line relative to the fish's angle of run.

It is also more enjoyable to have a rod that flexes more.

4. I note that the JDM UL rods I received have very fast and very light tip solid tip tapers so that would make them extra fast. However, their midsection is genuinely UL so they still load like a fast or moderate UL rod. So the JDM tapers really do need a different description from American tubular blanks where an extra fast taper tend not to cushion as well as the JDM ones. Some JDM solid tip blanks and US blanks in the ultralight designation simply have different taper philosophies though both may use the same terms.

Anyways, those are my observations.
Last edited by ultralight on Wed May 15, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Reflection - JDM UL Rod Ratings & Going X- or S-UL.

Post by CM_Stewart » Mon May 13, 2019 5:55 am

Interesting observations.

I know you have tested a number of Ajing and Mabaru rods. Have you also had Area rods and Native (aka stream) trout rods? I find them to be very, very different.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Mon May 13, 2019 5:55 pm

ultralight wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:52 pm
I find that with very light lures (1 - 2+ grams), I can cast more accurately with XUL/SUL rods as I can feel it load better. As to controlling fish, I find that drag setting is drag setting. If a rod is very soft all the way down to the handle, one can still apply the same pressure on the fish - albeit with less range of 'angles' one can move the line relative to the fish's angle of run.

It is also more enjoyable to have a rod that flexes more.

4. I note that the JDM UL rods I received have very fast and very light tip solid tip tapers so that would make them extra fast. However, their midsection is genuinely UL so they still load like a fast or moderate UL rod. So the JDM tapers really do need a different description from American tubular blanks where an extra fast taper tend not to cushion as well as the JDM ones. Some JDM solid tip blanks and US blanks in the ultralight designation simply have different taper philosophies though both may use the same terms.
Still processing the first part but definitely agree with the above.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Mon May 13, 2019 7:24 pm

That's a lot to digest....LOL. I learned early on the lower lure rating on ajing/mebaru rods had nothing to do with casting ability of the rod to cast a lure at 1/10 of a gram. As you say it is all about feel. I did a lot of testing with the Bouz drag checker on soft rods...area trout rods......mebaru rods and ajing rods. In the end as you say drag is drag...except.....when using a 2# test polyester line on an ajing rod it is going to get you into trouble real fast with a 5 pound Smallie. A 20 percent drag setting quickly becomes 50-60 percent or more when you load up that rod with a big fish. So I no longer use ajing rods to fish for larger fish with ester mono. A good 3# test nylon mono does very well though with an ajing rod...also in that situation a higher power mebaru rod such as a Tict Rockin Power.......Graphiteleader Finezza Prototype.....18 Lunakia....also does well. I have been using the Fine Tail Banshee 6 foot area SUL last couple of trips out and am having a ball...am also using the Fine Tail Banshee 6' 7" L model area rod and the L designation is very misleading to someone who knows nothing about area trout rod power. The Palms XUL is ready to go in the morning also...and is a ton of fun.....but is nowhere near as sensitive as the Fine Tail rods. I am able to control my cast much better using the 6 foot rod. I no longer fish with the Daiwa Iprimi...it just feels dead compared to the other rods I fish with and I guess I am now spoiled. All of the high end rods I own can feel a 1 gram jig head without any issue. The 1 gram jig head has become my standard most of the time with little to no wind.......I have .5 gram jig heads but rarely use them. At one time I did not think I would be acquiring anymore area trout rods. My mind has changed on that....they are just too much fun. Once I save the money I am getting a Super Bellezza.

Regards

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Tue May 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Alphahawk wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:24 pm
I did a lot of testing with the Bouz drag checker on soft rods...area trout rods......mebaru rods and ajing rods. In the end as you say drag is drag...except.....when using a 2# test polyester line on an ajing rod it is going to get you into trouble real fast with a 5 pound Smallie. A 20 percent drag setting quickly becomes 50-60 percent or more when you load up that rod with a big fish. So I no longer use ajing rods to fish for larger fish with ester mono.
Interesting comment AH, hopefully I'm not the only person who read this and wondered why the polyester + loaded rod lead to such an increase in drag? Does the polyester have a higher friction coefficient? I do understand that the higher guide count on a longer JDM rod would add friction compared to a US standard UL rod. Thanks in advance...

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Tue May 14, 2019 6:40 pm

Allsorts wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:01 pm
Alphahawk wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:24 pm
I did a lot of testing with the Bouz drag checker on soft rods...area trout rods......mebaru rods and ajing rods. In the end as you say drag is drag...except.....when using a 2# test polyester line on an ajing rod it is going to get you into trouble real fast with a 5 pound Smallie. A 20 percent drag setting quickly becomes 50-60 percent or more when you load up that rod with a big fish. So I no longer use ajing rods to fish for larger fish with ester mono.
Interesting comment AH, hopefully I'm not the only person who read this and wondered why the polyester + loaded rod lead to such an increase in drag? Does the polyester have a higher friction coefficient? I do understand that the higher guide count on a longer JDM rod would add friction compared to a US standard UL rod. Thanks in advance...
I have read, and read some more about super lines.....which polyester surely falls into that category. I have learned the longer the shock leader the better...I am currently using 5 feet but I should use more according to what I have read about shock leaders. If the drag is not kept loose you will lose fish. Of course I do a lot of fishing for panfish. Get a 10 inch shellcracker on and when they see the boat they make a sudden all out run...and snap. This did not happen using 2# test Nanofil...and I suspect the reason is that it probably tests out very close to 4 pounds. I can't really come up with a technical reason for this. I'm just speaking on a full year experience of fishing polyester. But in all I have read about using braid most agree the drag needs to be set much lower than when using nylon.... there is just zero forgiveness using ester mono. I know that come July-August when I am targeting KY spotted bass I will be using a mebaru or an area trout rod with the ester. When using the Bouz Drag Checker I found setting the drag at the reel to 15 percent of line rating worked out far better than my standard of 20 percent for nylon. As to more resistance I don't really know. The Varivas line has a fluoride coating on it to make it cast better.....and it does cast very well. I love the stuff for panfish, spotted bass....and for trout. There is no doubt that it gives me an advantage detecting soft bites. I had several trolls on my channel constantly telling me my drag was way too loose....but I don't think any of them had even heard of much less used ester mono. If you find out anything about the why of this I would sure like to know.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Wed May 15, 2019 6:34 pm

Allsorst, I hold you in high regards as you have much experience with JDM rods - and I think you also have helped Alphahawk with rod comments in the past. Anyways, I think Fuji claims that more guides actually makes both the rod and the line less likely to break under load. Not sure where i read that but that was a while back. For sure, it gives better load distribution on the rod itself. I too am curious about Polyester drag increasing more as the rod loads. Surprising to hear. I have a spool but have not gotten around to trying it yet.

AH, are you saying that under load with a big fish, the Ajing tapers do not do as well with polyester line, and Mebaru or Area rods do better? Also, I did not know that you are open to 6' rods. You are already going beyond these rods, but I have said in the past that I think the 6' 18 Corto is the best of all the 18 Cortos for 2 lbs test and 1 gram jigs. It also has an incredibly light feel in hand. For any of your friends who may want to look at made in Japan JDM on a budget with Fuji Ti guides, I think these may be the best bang for the buck.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed May 15, 2019 7:05 pm

ultralight wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:34 pm
Allsorst, I hold you in high regards as you have much experience with JDM rods - and I think you also have helped Alphahawk with rod comments in the past. Anyways, I think Fuji claims that more guides actually makes both the rod and the line less likely to break under load. Not sure where i read that but that was a while back. For sure, it gives better load distribution on the rod itself. I too am curious about Polyester drag increasing more as the rod loads. Surprising to hear. I have a spool but have not gotten around to trying it yet.

AH, are you saying that under load with a big fish, the Ajing tapers do not do as well with polyester line, and Mebaru or Area rods do better? Also, I did not know that you are open to 6' rods. You are already going beyond these rods, but I have said in the past that I think the 6' 18 Corto is the best of all the 18 Cortos for 2 lbs test and 1 gram jigs. It also has an incredibly light feel in hand. For any of your friends who may want to look at made in Japan JDM on a budget with Fuji Ti guides, I think these may be the best bang for the buck.
I bought the 6 foot Major Craft to see what an SUL rod is like. I never expected to fish a whole lot with it. But here lately I am. It is the perfect rod for maximum fun with the shellcracker and bluegill I have been catching....and it has worked out great on a nearby river I fish for stocked trout. It also has great sensitivity.
As to the ester line. I posed the question to Chris Stewart about how did the Japanese handle bigger fish that they may hook when fishing for ajing using ester. His answer...to the best of my memory was.....if they frequently did it they would most likely be using another line. I keep up with a few others who are using this line on ajing rods...and they are having same issue with larger fish. You know I have some of the 3.1# test SunLine Night Blue ester to try. It is supposed to be a softer, more manageable line than other ester line. I will be spooling it up when the KY spotted bass show up in mass in July-August. I have no problems using the ester at all with the softer rods and big fish. I will keep that in mind about the Corto. There are so many rods I want to try I would have to win the lottery to pay for them....LOL.

Regards