How much line to put on UL spool?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
cisys
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

How much line to put on UL spool?

Post by cisys » Sun May 19, 2019 6:19 am

Hi all,

Just getting back into fishing and went out to get some 13lb braid ( 0.132mm). I'm wondering how much line i should put on it.

I've read in the past that people would put backing before the actual line so that it's at the brim, is that still the case now? Would the type of line used at backing be important?

I'm using the yumeya spool for my scorpion XT

Thank you

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How much line to put on UL spool?

Post by poisonokie » Sun May 19, 2019 9:39 am

Well, you have to back braid with mono anyway, so you might as well back it with enough to fill the spool to a mm or so below the lip to maximize retrieve rate. I don't know how shallow that yumeya is, but I backed my alphas air with what I thought was a lot of nylon and still wound up winding more braid than I'll ever need. It's 8# braid though, so it took more than I expected to fill it up the rest of the way.

It's almost impossible to judge how much line to use in these situations because unless you spool it completely up with two pound mono and cast off the heaviest, most aerodynamic bait you would use with the rod, cut the line of and spool it back up with 8# braid it's really just a craps shoot.

I didn't do that because all that 2# line (if I could even find any) would weigh a lot more than the same volume of 16# and reduce low end casting ability.
This is the way.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun May 19, 2019 11:03 am

I put just enough mono just keep the braid from slipping. When the braid needs changing I just take it off and put it back on the reel with the old end first. I get twice the use on the line and don't have to deal with backing or the extra knot.

cisys
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by cisys » Sun May 19, 2019 5:20 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply. Does maxing out the spool affect the casting distance at all? Or is that just for spinning and does not really matter for braid?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon May 20, 2019 8:29 am

Having less will make it less prone to backlash, at least to the point where you can't cast off the line fluffing up mid-cast. Theoretically the spool will have to spin faster to keep up with the lure, but in practice, especially for a shallow spool, I don't think you'll ever be able to tell.
This is the way.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Mon May 20, 2019 3:15 pm

I shoot for about 30m but I am using Varivas Nylon and targeting small streams. I respool frequently as I beat a lot of brush and rock so I just strip it all and start fresh.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Mon May 20, 2019 7:32 pm

I don’t use any backing for braid on my BFS spools. Start with an arbor knot and cinch it down. Then remove the side plate and slide the spool (with line attached) out. Next, alternate putting half hitches on from each side of the spool. Just make sure that each hitch has the line coming off the top of the spool. Doesn’t take too many before the braid has enough bite to not slip.

BFS spools are already shallow, so I just fill them normally. If you’re fishing very small streams and need to cast very light lures, you could reduce total spool weight by putting less line on. Maybe it would make a difference. Never tried.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon May 20, 2019 7:40 pm

BigG wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:03 am
I put just enough mono just keep the braid from slipping. When the braid needs changing I just take it off and put it back on the reel with the old end first. I get twice the use on the line and don't have to deal with backing or the extra knot.
This times 2.

Another thing to consider based on line size, is you might be able to fill the spool almost halfway with mono and then the rest of the way with braid to around 1/8 inch from spool edge or lip. Just make sure you have enough braid so you don't cast into the mono. Been there, done that. Doesn't work well. So a little extra braid can save you from knot casting.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?