Question about my latest Ultra Light rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
doctorxring
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Question about my latest Ultra Light rod

Post by doctorxring » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:29 pm

I just got in a rod from Japan. I thought I had ordered a MAJOR CRAFT FINETAIL AREA FAX-602UL.
But instead I clicked the link for this rod -- MAJOR CRAFT FINETAIL AREA FAX-602UL/G. From what
I understand the G stands for "glass". Can you tell me what I actually have here ? What is this rod
built for and what are its attributes ?

thanks kindly, Chris

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Question about my latest Ultra Light rod

Post by Craigthor » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Not sure but sounds like a fun rod.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:33 pm

Yes, that does indicate a glass rod, which will be a little noodly in an UL-powered rod, likely a parabolic action. It should be a lot of fun with small cranks and spinners.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

doctorxring
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by doctorxring » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:19 pm

It's the lightest rod I've ever owned. 1.8 ounces. Just gorgeous build quality. Name on the rod is Finetail Area Stage. Feels good but I have not fished it yet. I'm going to try it on Monday for my usual quarry, the sunfish, using TroutMagnets. One other interesting thing -- This Major Craft rod was built in China and is imprinted so on the rod. I thought they were made in Japan or Vietnam.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:05 am

1.8oz and it is a glass rod.......that is really light for glass.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:17 am

doctorxring wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:19 pm
It's the lightest rod I've ever owned. 1.8 ounces. Just gorgeous build quality. Name on the rod is Finetail Area Stage. Feels good but I have not fished it yet. I'm going to try it on Monday for my usual quarry, the sunfish, using TroutMagnets. One other interesting thing -- This Major Craft rod was built in China and is imprinted so on the rod. I thought they were made in Japan or Vietnam.

I am not sure if Major Craft ever had a facility in Japan but maybe so. I know that most of their rods are made in Vietnam. That is light for a rod with glass. Be interested to hear how it fishes. Curious now as to the weight of the regular models.

Regards

doctorxring
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by doctorxring » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:05 am

Alphahawk wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:17 am

I am not sure if Major Craft ever had a facility in Japan but maybe so. I know that most of their rods are made in Vietnam. That is light for a rod with glass. Be interested to hear how it fishes. Curious now as to the weight of the regular models.

Regards

I am wondering the same thing. I may have to go ahead and get one of the regular versions too. Any excuse with me but curiosity is always at play. :big grin: BTW Randy, the tip on this rod mic's at 1.1 mm and the case description says it is tubular.

Anyone know why one version of the rod has "glass" and the other one is regular carbon. Is there a sensitivity difference, flex, etc... ?

Last edited by doctorxring on Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:56 am

doctorxring wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:19 pm
That is odd...

I've been feeling pretty good about all my MC purchases because they're built in a modern, clean, humane factory full of shiny, happy people being paid fair wages for honest, high quality labor. This really bums me out a little....

Still an awesome looking/sounding stick though. I'd love to have one myself.
This is the way.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Did you ever try out this rod? If so how do you like it. The ‘New” Fine Tail Series has me interested. If a rod with glass in it weighs 1.8 ounces the graphite only models have to be lighter. I contacted Digitaka about the weight of the 6’ 3” SUL but they never got back with me.

Regards