What’s In Your Rod Rack?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What’s In Your Rod Rack?

Post by Allsorts » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:44 pm

Ranger 619VS wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:38 am
Allsorts wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:26 am
Good to hear again from you Brian! I see that you have a slight bias towards G.Loomis... :lol: You really need to do yourself a favour and try a JDM UL rod...I spent many years using UL/L Loomis rods and after my first mid-range Japanese rod there was no going back, especially for fishing SPs. The SR / TSR taper is great for spoons, plugs and spinners but for SPs not so much...

On the other hand, if your finances are in anything less than large surplus, ignore me completely!
Hello my friend! Yes it has been a long time. My budget allows for quite a bit as you can tell be me reels! LOL :lol: I have a Tict Rockin Power, and two Daiwa Heartland Z midge direction ultra lights from Japan. All three are great, the Midge are a softer more parabolic ultra light. I love my TSR and SR G. Loomis rods for jigs, I slow roll and swim my baits 99% of the time. I do agree the guide spacing leaves a little to be desired.....Either that of I don't know what a GREAT JDM ultras light jig rod for swimming plastics would be. I considered getting one built by a friend in England a 6'8 JDM Blank.......Great to hear from you! Hope you and the family are well.

Brian
All good thanks Brian! Busy upping sticks to move from South Africa back to Ireland as things here are heading in a Venezuela direction at an increasing speed...

Alphahawk would be my go to guy these days as he's probably used a wider variety of JDM UL gear than anyone else on the forum. That said, I'd suggest you maybe have a look at the Graphiteleader Corto Protoype GNCPS-612L-T. I guarantee that it will blow your socks off and lead to a further steady erosion of tackle funds... I have the 6' version and it is literally shocking how light, steely and perfectly built and balanced these rods are. It feels very stiff despite rating for 3lb line but bends progressively and easily handles good size smallies while providing clear bite feedback on 3lb flouro from micro cichlids nibbling at my soft plastics. If one use braid, bites are like electric shocks...

If I look at my rod collection, 6 of the 8 JDM models are Olympic / Graphiteleader or Evergreen (most top- and mid-range blanks made by GL). They are literally perfect in terms of build quality and apart from an old Evergreen Temujin 'Spider' cannot be improved in any way I can see. I've owned, used and sold rods from many JDM manufacturers - the Olympic / Graphiteleader blank materials and design that are truly special. If you are feeling especially brave, look at the Evergreen Serpenti spinning rods. I've got a Spin Serpent and it's simply mind-blowing. What struck me about the Corto Prototype was that it had the same characteristics (connected, steely, incredibly sensitive, responsive etc) of the Spin Serpent at just over half the price.

I do warn you though, just like Dante's Inferno, the sign above the Evergreen Serpenti door reads 'Abandon Hope all ye that enter here'

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What’s In Your Rod Rack?

Post by the hooligan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:54 am

Current Lineup:

Fenwick Techna PMX TPMX66CLP+J
Shimano Expride 165l bfs
Shimano Poison Ultima 162l-s
Fenwick Super Techna S-TAV60CLJ 60th Anniversary Limited Y.Sawamura Edition
Fenwick Golden Wing GW60CULJ
Tenryu Rayz RZ53UL-BC

My other bfs sticks ive owned/traded over the years:

Imakatsu Rodeo Ride 6'5L
Jackson Super Trickster 6'4L
Megabass Phase III Eiger Northwall
Megabass Phase III Criiffhanger
Megabass X7 Shading-x
Megabass X7 Super Criffhanger
Shimano Poison Glorious 6'6L ( My 1st jdm stick)
Fenwick Golden Wing Tour edition 6ftL KTF edition
Fenwick Golden Wing Tour edition 6'4L

And my one and only jdm spinning rod, wish they made a bfs version of this stick:

Megabass Shoreluck Limited sl-68ult