Kage ultralight

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
JHiggs
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Kage ultralight

Post by JHiggs » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:03 am

Just got my 5'6" piece delivered yesterday. Weighs in at 2.75oz but most of that is in the handle. The blank is markedly thinner and more stiff than my 5'4" St Croix Trout Series which weighs in at 2.125oz. I'm thoroughly impressed with this rod. The tip is thinner than my st croix premier, st croix trout series, and fenwick eagle tips. very impressed. Itching to get out there and get this girl in the water.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:46 pm

please let us know what you think after fishing it some.

JHiggs
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by JHiggs » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:19 pm

Initial impressions. She's firm. Like, really firm. Yet incredibly sensitive. Ive fished many ultra light / fast rods before and this is by far the most firm. Casts incredibly smooth. They paired really nice guides on this. Also really like the feel off the cork. The handle is medium+in size and thickness. Very comfortable cork. Balances perfectly with my ballistic LT 1000D. I only got to play with her for about an hour so. More thoughts soon.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:27 am

We have a lot of crappie/panfish guys come through the shop. Everyone who has bought one of the Kage UL rods has raved about them. Daiwa has done a great job with these, and the Kage line in general. I'm very impressed with the Kage UL I've fished as well, paired with the Kage 1000 sized reel, it's a very fun combo!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:30 am

JHiggs wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:19 pm
Initial impressions. She's firm. Like, really firm. Yet incredibly sensitive. Ive fished many ultra light / fast rods before and this is by far the most firm. Casts incredibly smooth. They paired really nice guides on this. Also really like the feel off the cork. The handle is medium+in size and thickness. Very comfortable cork. Balances perfectly with my ballistic LT 1000D. I only got to play with her for about an hour so. More thoughts soon.
When you say firm, is that as in a lot of backbone? Does it give down the blank under load?
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

JHiggs
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by JHiggs » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:14 am

Overall backbone. Last night I did a hand by hand comparison of this 5'6 kage next to my st. Croix 5'4 trout series and the kage made the st. Croix feel like a whippy moderate action. Kage flexes very high. And the lower half of the rod stays damn near straight.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:42 am

JHiggs wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:14 am
Overall backbone. Last night I did a hand by hand comparison of this 5'6 kage next to my st. Croix 5'4 trout series and the kage made the st. Croix feel like a whippy moderate action. Kage flexes very high. And the lower half of the rod stays damn near straight.
That seems like the action needed for some deep water trout fishing I do
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing