Daiwa GEKKABIJIN SW LIGHT JIGHEAD

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Daiwa GEKKABIJIN SW LIGHT JIGHEAD

Post by edwelch1 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:03 am

ultralight wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:06 pm
By the way, for those of you using this jighead, do you generally prefer the black or the white/pink heads? Do you think that it makes any difference?

Thanks.
I haven't used these jigs specifically, but from other jig experience, I'm finding that jig color isn't as big of a deal as I used to think. In the past I've used the full assortment of colors available in fireball jigs, and my dad and I had our favorites that seemed to work best on our lake. This last summer though, I started using Z-man Finesse Shroomz, which only come in black and a dark green pumpkin. Starting to think our previous favorite colors were just confirmation bias, because I was every bit as successful as my dad using those two colors exclusively, while he was still using mostly firetiger and parrot plus a variety of other colors here and there.

If I were to be buying some of these jigs though, I would probably still buy some of every color available, black, red, and the white/pink, just to satisfy my superstitions some days lol.
www.blindjumperoutdoors.com

patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Post by patrickrio » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:27 pm

I am still waiting for my test batch of these to arrive, but can someone measure one of the jigheads with the size 8 hook for me? I would like hook total length and width across the point. Also wire thickness if possible.

Thanks!!

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:52 pm

patrickrio wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:27 pm
I am still waiting for my test batch of these to arrive, but can someone measure one of the jigheads with the size 8 hook for me? I would like hook total length and width across the point. Also wire thickness if possible.

Thanks!!
Quite an assignment....LOL. Do you want length of the jig head or just the length of the hook to where the jig head starts? I get technical myself but curious why these measurements.

Regards

patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Post by patrickrio » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:29 pm

Thanks for this... from the hook eye to furthest reach of hook bend... should be the same no matter what weight as long as the hook size is the same. Width is the outside of hook on both sides of bend. Then wire thickness if you have some digital calipers.

I will be able to do this myself at some point, but my order from japan got lost and they are gonna wait another few weeks before sending again....

I am looking for the hook dimensions as if they didn't have the jig head on them. I am trying to make some miniature Texas rigs that weigh about the same as trout magnets and are in the same size class for use on stream banks that have some obstacles. I want to try to copy these instead, since you guys like these so much better than the trout magnet jigheads.

I will post a picture with parts list when I get them figured out.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:26 am

patrickrio wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:29 pm
Thanks for this... from the hook eye to furthest reach of hook bend... should be the same no matter what weight as long as the hook size is the same. Width is the outside of hook on both sides of bend. Then wire thickness if you have some digital calipers.

I will be able to do this myself at some point, but my order from japan got lost and they are gonna wait another few weeks before sending again....

I am looking for the hook dimensions as if they didn't have the jig head on them. I am trying to make some miniature Texas rigs that weigh about the same as trout magnets and are in the same size class for use on stream banks that have some obstacles. I want to try to copy these instead, since you guys like these so much better than the trout magnet jigheads.

I will post a picture with parts list when I get them figured out.
It is 19.5mm from eye to bend. Width of the gap is 8.5mm. The thickness of the wire is .60mm. This jig head is far superior to a TM jig head. Now let me clarify that. It is extremely sharp.....but to get a TM on the jig head perfectly straight I pinch the first section of a TM body off. Using these I don’t have to set the hook and penetration is swift and sure.

Regards

patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Post by patrickrio » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:31 pm

Thank You!!! that is perfect.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:23 am

Hi Randy,

I saw your post saying you are going down to size 10 instead of 8 and that 'it makes things easier'. Can you explain what you mean by that and why the shift? Have you ever had these hooks pull straight given how thin they are?

Thanks.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:16 pm

ultralight wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:23 am
Hi Randy,

I saw your post saying you are going down to size 10 instead of 8 and that 'it makes things easier'. Can you explain what you mean by that and why the shift? Have you ever had these hooks pull straight given how thin they are?

Thanks.
Ive caught some 20 inch Smalles on these hooks...never had an issue but I am using light line. I prefer the #10 for bluegill......and they should be on anytime now.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:55 pm

Thanks!