Revo S

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Revo S

Post by prybis » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:22 am

Just picked up a new Revo4 S for $55. Was not sure if this could be turned into a BFS reel or not. If not I will use it for bass fishing. Thanks.
Mike P.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Revo S

Post by earthworm77 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:05 pm

BFS reels can cast tiny lures due to their lightweight spools. Generally a BFS spool weighs under 10 grams and the better ones are closer to 8 or 9. I'm not sure what the Revo's spool weighs but it is likely more than what is necessary to be considered capable of casting those sub 2gr baits consistently. You can likely buy an aftermarket BFS spool for many reels but those most often cost more than the reel does.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:04 pm

Ray's Studio makes a capable BFS spool that works in the gen 4 reels. Btw, the spools for the gen 3 and gen 4 are the same.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by prybis » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:05 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:04 pm
Ray's Studio makes a capable BFS spool that works in the gen 4 reels. Btw, the spools for the gen 3 and gen 4 are the same.
Do you happen to have a website or way to get in touch? Thanks.
Mike P.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:19 pm

https://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/Revo ... nel=direct The only one I see for the Revo series is the SX. There are also spools for the Max series, which also fit the Orra series reels. Waiting for another member to chime in here, as he has a couple of these spools for Abu reels. Dont wanna call him out, though, so hopefully he responds here.
On another note, I have had multiple Ray's spools (all Daiwa) and they are high quality and reasonably-priced.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by prybis » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:40 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:19 pm
https://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/Revo ... nel=direct The only one I see for the Revo series is the SX. There are also spools for the Max series, which also fit the Orra series reels. Waiting for another member to chime in here, as he has a couple of these spools for Abu reels. Dont wanna call him out, though, so hopefully he responds here.
On another note, I have had multiple Ray's spools (all Daiwa) and they are high quality and reasonably-priced.
Thanks for the help. I seen those for the sx4. I may end up buying an sx4 and try these reels. Will be going to Cabelas today to see if I like the sx4 reel. Then I will place my first order with Aliexpress.
Mike P.

prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by prybis » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:41 am

If I buy the Revo SX4 from Cabelas along with the BFS DIY spool from Ali express, I want to change out the bearings also. If I am correct I need 5x11x4 and 3x10x4 bearings. If that is the case how do you think these bearings will work.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256570 ... 0a12092d4e

Or would I be better off getting ceramic bearings instead? All of this is new to me so I am wanting to make sure I get it correct. Also what lube do people recommend using?
Mike P.

prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by prybis » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:14 am

Well, I ended up getting the Revo SX 4 HS-L reel from Cabela's. Now I need to order the DIY Revo SX4 reel. Also ordering the Ace Hawk CU Double UL/L casting rod along with their baitcasting reel maintenance kit. It will be a pain having to wait for the goods to come from China but I think it will be worth it.
Mike P.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:18 pm

It's usually 2-3 weeks, with some vendors being a little faster. I can wait, considering the cheap prices AND free shipping.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:13 pm

The Revo4 S has a full shaft on the spool. This excludes a bunch of the gen 3 Revo spools on Aliexpress. There is a Max BFS spool that may fit. You would have to see if a Black Max 3 spool will fit the Revo4 S. If it does then you can get a Momo spool for BM3 for around $30. If not then you are out of luck.

prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by prybis » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:21 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:13 pm
The Revo4 S has a full shaft on the spool. This excludes a bunch of the gen 3 Revo spools on Aliexpress. There is a Max BFS spool that may fit. You would have to see if a Black Max 3 spool will fit the Revo4 S. If it does then you can get a Momo spool for BM3 for around $30. If not then you are out of luck.
Thanks for the info. I have a Black Max reel but not sure which generation. I have had it for a few years. I did find these but I am not sure if they would fit. Please they are a little more than I want to spend at this time.

https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/1261

https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/126
Mike P.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:39 pm

prybis wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:21 pm
LowRange wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:13 pm
Thanks for the info. I have a Black Max reel but not sure which generation. I have had it for a few years. I did find these but I am not sure if they would fit. Please they are a little more than I want to spend at this time.

https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/1261

https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/126
Those are for 1st gen reels. I doubt they would fit.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:53 pm

Look on the bottom of the gearbox on your Black Max reel. It will say something like "BMAX3", depending on what gen the reel is. I do know those spools also fit the Orra series, so they may actually fit the Revo equivalents, also.

prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by prybis » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:07 am

I do not think I have a Gen 3 Black Max Reel. The measurements are not the same as in the description of the reel on Ali Express. The measurements are close to what I measured on my Revo4 s though. I got a shaft length of 64.75mm with a spool height of 33mm and width of 27.4mm. I believe the only difference is going to be the bearing size. I seen one of these spools that listed the bearing as 11*5*5. That would not be hard to fix if that is the only thing.
Mike P.

prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by prybis » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:39 am

Took pics and my measurements may be a little off from what I stated.
Attachments
pic3.jpg
pic3.jpg (32.37 KiB) Viewed 11029 times
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg (33.48 KiB) Viewed 11029 times
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (33.15 KiB) Viewed 11029 times
Mike P.