Flea market find ...

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Flea market find ...

Post by uljersey » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:47 pm

Poking around the local flea market this morning and happened upon this Shimano Sedona 500FD. Aside from normal boat rash and wear marks, it's 100% intact, spins 360, has a working anti reverse switch and by all accounts is fully functional. While I'm not a Shimano guy by any stretch, I couldn't pass it up for the $8.00 asking price (seller wouldn't budge a dime :lol: ) ... It's in dire need of a complete teardown/deep clean/lubrication which is to be expected. There is no excessive rotor wobble or handle play to speak of. A PM to fellow board member earthworm77, who indeed IS a Shimano guy, confirmed that with a bit of TLC and paired up with perhaps a Teton UL rod, that I did pretty good. Googling tells me this was a $60 reel in it's day, probably middle of the road as far as Shimano's lineup went at the time. Cetainly not a Stella but not a 1 bearing clunker either.

I got as far as removing the spool nut to take a quick peek underneath and my suspicions were confirmed - - quite a bit of dirt under there. It's doubtful this one's ever been apart, which is actually a relief as spinning reels are a mystery to a lot of people, even ones who are adept at casting reels. That tells me that all the original parts are there and where they should be. I started out tearing spinners apart as I didn't own a casting reel until I was in my 30's, I'm comfortable taking them down to the frame and building them back up again. Perhaps I'll take photos and document the "resurrection" for a future thread. Fishing will be shut down here soon and I'll be holed up in my basement workshop getting my gear ready for next season, this will be a good way to kill a few days.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Flea market find ...

Post by earthworm77 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:15 pm

I know I mentioned it to you in the PM........but it is timely and worth noting.........
I am actually just finishing up work on a review of the Shimano Sedona 1000Fi that accidentally wound up on my Kuying TopCaster for redfish and Snook this past summer. I'm not sure it is a UL forum topic but the reel is a small enough reel I would use for panfish and river bass so I'll post it here soon.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:01 pm

Great find! I love bringing things back from the dead. Please post the resurrection!
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:02 am

Whoah! Nice find.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish