Quick Shimano 2016 Aldebaran BFS question....

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Quick Shimano 2016 Aldebaran BFS question....

Post by ultralight » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:52 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but it is the forum I frequent most, and I figure BFS users will be here.

I picked up a 2016 Aldebaran BRS reel over a year ago. Still not out of the both, brand new. It comes with two bottles of oil.

Questions:

1. Why two bottles and who are each for? Where are they to be applied?
2. And if it is brand new, will the factory oil evaporate and I need to add some right away?
3. And how often do I need to add oil?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'd like to try it out - do also have that 4.5 grams spool by Avail that I will install. Will be casting 1 gram jigs with it on 2 lbs test....:)

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Quick Shimano 2016 Aldebaran BFS question....

Post by dennis_rf » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:14 am

1) The green oil is a “bfs“ oil for the spool bearings and has a lower viscosity than the blue which I assume is meant for every other bearing in the reel.

2) + 3) I‘d base both on the sound when spinning the bearings. Spool bearings will need oil sooner than the other bearings. I’d flush and re-oil the bearing instead of just adding more tho.